• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Valley of the Dead: Chapter 2 "Home of the sleepless"

Malachei

First Post
"I am no gambler," Lórquelié replies Adelaide. Despite the half-orc's earlier comments, the stern elf seems surprised at Thok's uncivilized humor, as she actually turns to the big man, staring at him for a moment. Then she turns back to the house, her dark hair flying back tauntingly.

"We will not have much time," she answers Herriman, without looking at the halfling. "If you want to go on your own, be quick."

Taking a deep breath, she bows, her hand extending to touch the ground. With a grave, hollow voice, from far away, she speaks, "Hón Cemen."

[sblock=OOC]

Cast Heart of Earth. Then extend.

Obviously, Lórquelië hears nothing (and I already hate this dice roller on my first roll with it)

[sblock=Current Status]

With persisted and active spells.

Active Spells:
* = Persisted
(X) = Extended
Mage Armor (X), Detect Magic*, Shield*, Nightshield*, Detect Undead*, See Invisibility*, Dragonskin*, Reverse Arrows*, Cloud of Knives*, Heart of Earth (X)

Abilities (used/daily uses)
Metamagic Effect: 10/11
Abjupt Jaunt: 0/8

[sblock=Spells Prepared (Current Status)]

_ = Conjuration (DC +3)
* = Persistable
Spells in Yellow are persisted daily. Cloud of Knives is persisted as soon as it is feasible.
Normally active spells (in addition to persisted spells): Mage Armor, Heart of Earth

– 0 – (4+1 – DC 18)
Acid Splash, Dancing Lights, Detect Magic*, Light, Message

– 1 – (6+1 – DC 19)
Mage Armor, Shield*, Protection from Evil, Grease, Nightshield* (SC), Detect Undead*, Lesser Orb of Sound (SC)

– 2 – (6+1 – DC 20)
Glitterdust (3), Cloud of Knives* (PHB2), See Invisibility*, Rope Trick, Greater Alarm (SC)

– 3 – (5+1 – DC 21)
Phantom Steed, Dispel Magic, Blacklight (SC), Dragonskin* (SC), Unluck (SC), Reverse Arrows* (SC)

– 4 – (4+1 – DC 22)
Black Tentacles, Ray Deflection* (SC), Heart of Earth* (CM), Defenestrating Sphere (SC), Orb of Force (SC)

[/sblock]

Speed: 30 feet

Armor Class: 22 = 10 + 0 [dexterity] + 4 [shield/spell] + 4 [armor/spell] + 4 [natural/spell]
Touch AC: 14
Flat-footed: 22

Hit Points (current/max (temp.)): 64/48 (64)

Character Level: 9 (including LA +1)
Caster Level: 8

Initiative modifier: + 4 = 0 [dexterity] + 4 [feat]
Fortitude save: + 5 = 2 [base] + 2 [constitution] + 0 [item] + 2 [spell] -1 [flaw]
Reflex save: + 4 = 2 [base] + 0 [dexterity] + 0 [item] + 2 [spell]
Will save: + 12 = 9 [base] -1 [wisdom] + 0 [item] + 2 [spell] +2 [feat]

[sblock=Special]
Out of bright light:
o Charisma +2
o Speed +5 ft.
o +1 Deflection AC
o +1 Luck bonus to saves
o Hide/MS +2
o Listen/Spot +1
o Shadesight (Sp): Darkvision 60 ft. Can see normally through any darkness effect, but not through fog, invisibility, obscurement, and so on.
o Shadow Image (Sp) 3/day, as mirror image, 1d4 images, plus one image per three levels
[/sblock]

[/sblock]

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
"Go, we wait here. Scream if you frightened or attacked, Thok will burst in and kill enemies." the half orc states. Apparently, a red dragon could be hiding under the bed, and he would defeat it with one blow, should Herriman scream.

Myth and Legend

First Post
The Wizard hears nothing spare the heavy breathing of the large Half-Orc next to her, and the Halfling scout can make out nothing suspicious, save the mooing of some distressed cows. Ten feet further the situation is the same, although the picturesque farmstead seems eerily quiet for early noon.

Adelaide draws her blade and urges the others: "We go together and investigate - the chance of being ambushed lessens the more sets of eyes and ears we have. I would not like it if we made the army force march to this position and find nothing. There has been an influx of refugees from the outer settlements near Angelwatch since Bran's little tour of the severed zombie heads."

Adelaide's sword is thin, long and with a wavy blade, almost complimenting her gold curls.

Dragonwriter

First Post
"Orc-kin, the only thing capable of scaring me is your lack of intelligence. And vocabulary."

As Adelaide draws her sword, Herriman rolls his eyes again. "If you insist... Just be quiet. If there's anything there, we might be able to come upon them unawares and thereby lessen any threats to you."

The halfling sets straight for the farmhouse, keeping an eye out for any cover he can use.

[sblock=OOC]
Herriman will be moving stealthily, using Hide (and Hide In Plain Sight, courtesy of his concealment) and Move Silently. +20 and +23, respectively. As I'm not entirely sure how many checks would be necessary, I'm leaving you to roll them, Myth.
[/sblock]

Malachei

First Post
The elf, in turn, rolls her eyes at the halfling's comment. She seems on the verge of saying something, but then just shakes her head. She blinks several times in the rhythm of the half-orc's breath until she focuses on the house and simply ignores the sound. "Now let us be quick, and quiet, like the whispering wind passing the summer leaves, caressing them, but not letting them fall," she speaks, her voice a whisper carrying a foreign, melodic tone.

[sblock=OOC]

Lórquelië follows Herriman with 20 ft. distance.

[/sblock]

Voda Vosa

First Post
Thok snorts at the little's comments about his lack of proper conversation. "Words are cheap coin in a world dominated by the blade. Hows that?" he barks, as he pushes the halfling a side, shortening the distance that separates him from the barn.

Myth and Legend

First Post
The group approaches the farm, some stealthily, others - not so much. The windows are shut and iron bars cover the two ones on the first floor. The door is shut as well, and barred when Adelaide tries opening it. "I don't think it's locked, so much as completely blocked from the inside." she muses as she looks around, sword in hand.

"I will go check the barn, maybe there is a second way inside. Someone should check out back, or the second floor windows if you can get to them."
the female Paladin whispers as she heads out towards the barn to the side, her mail clad feet making noise despite her best efforts.

[sblock]The barn is a wide wooden windowless building, one story only and it's east side is right on the house's westernmost wall. There is a circular corral on the west side of the barn, currently empty. You can also see some other wooden shacks to the side and further behind the main house, they are warded off with a wooden fence. There are two windows on the first floor and two on the second one, and the group is currently facing the south side of the establishment, where the main entrance is. [/sblock]

Malachei

First Post
There is something about Adelaide's plan that rouses unease in Lórquelië. A tendency for heroics, she notes, and a desire to lead. As the paladin departs, and Thok charges towards the building, the elf gracefully lifts her robe with one hand, following the others. She walks next to the halfling, and mutters, "Tempers flaring before battle bring flickering fortunes." When the half-orc and the halfling are about to enter the building, she stays a little behind.

[sblock=OOC]

Lórquelië looks for invisible, magic, undead.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
"Thok checks up" And the barbarian sets for the second floor. He moves next to the wall, and attempts some climbing (20). He'll peek through the glasses once at the needed high.

Last edited:

Dragonwriter

First Post
As the half-orc idiot shoves him aside, Herriman considers running him through from behind. It would be a simple matter. The rapier would easily pass up through his ribs, if I angled it just right... He shakes his head sharply and glares ahead, but merely to air. No. I left such things behind, years ago. Not going back there.

Herriman looks sidelong at the caster as she mumbles, apparently to him. "And spouting odd proverbs brings confusion," he responds flatly before moving closer to the farmhouse. Once he concurs with the paladin's statement, he moves to the windows, examining if he might be able to remove the bars or fit through them. He looks over his shoulder at the mage again. "You know any spells of flight? Or to help me fit through these bars? Likely something slippery... If I can get in the house quietly, I can remove the bar at the door and you can get in faster."

Remove ads