Valus d20 setting: ever heard of it?

Valus d20 setting: ever heard of it?

Dolza

First Post
I even have one of the books

Yes, i originally learned of him here at EN World and as i was reading his story hour i happened upon an easter egg and got myself a free copy of the Valus! now if i could only find the Ippizicus adventure i'd love to spring it on my players!

dolza

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Own and Play regularly

I have the privilege of playing in the Valus Campaign Setting.
I love it.
A good low magic setting, where even high level characters are challenged.

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97346
The thread above is a story hour written by Funeris, it is of the Heroes of Marchford and
their journey through the Valus. Currently we are starting our sixth month of gaming
together and loving it. Though I do seem to be the whipping boy, tend to bring it on myself.

From my prespective, I had been a Forgotten Realms guy from the time it hit the stores.
I loved the POWER gaming aspect of it. Then I fell into a homebrew Spelljamming Campaign
that was high magic and learned how to truely roleplay.

That said when I joined the Valus Campaign, I had very little knowledge of the world. I had
found a game and I was happy with that, after moving to the area. Now I know how lucky I
was to find a great group of guys to game with. I was intrigued enough from the first two
sessions to go out and order the Valus Campaign Setting book.
As I read the book and the history of the world, I ended up loving it even more. Everytime I
pick it up I glean a little more information from it.
And for those with any specific questions about it, feel free to email me I'm sure I could
answer some of them, if not I know those who can. As far additional supplements, I know
the Return of the Child-Eater Ippo something Module, not sure about additional ones
though. Of course if enough of you buy the Campaign Setting I'm sure Destan would gladly
write more for Valus. Personally I would love to see the Covenmage in print.... :cool:
For now you will have to read the story hour I'm always on Funeris about.

Now about this new cover, I want it and I want it now DWP. I did get a response to my second email to them, this is an excerpt from the email from Tadashi.
--------------------
"It is Different Worlds' policy not to announce new releases until it is published and back
from the printers."
---------------------
My first email apparently got lost in the shuffle, and he did apoligize for it.

That said I have come to love my oversized mage.

Magnus
aka The Accountant
aka The Boom-Boom Mage
aka Archmage
and newly acquired in last Wednesday's session "Fire in the Hole, Now!"

Arnwyn

First Post
As with others, I've heard it mentioned here at ENWorld.

(Same with Maze 4, but with such poor distribution, I'll never see it.)

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Valus? I've heard of it. Also heard the author's a complete ass.

Doug McCrae said:
I've heard of the Philip K Dick novel, Valis but not Valus.

Time to start another poll, methinks.

Crothian said:
Huh, I thought at Gen Con you all only had Valus. Cool then, look forward to seeing this.

Looks like the lies I told to you at Gen Con have finally been revealed! Argh!

Pogre said:
I own the limited edition module - is there any reason to buy the "regular" version?

Um...I'll give you a back rub. But that's about it.

For those who have Valus, thanks.

For those who may grab it, thanks.

For those who didn't like it, but are kind enough not to say anything negative, thanks.

I'd type more, but I currently have Keith Baker in a headlock.

Cheers,
D

grodog

Hero
While I appreciate the comments lightly spiced with cynicism and DA-style cross-examination---and I do appreciate them, because they tell me that you collectively care about the Valus setting as much as Ryan and I do (and that’s good!)---I’d like to redirect some of your focus, however, by channeling your well-intentioned energies toward what I consider more productive efforts.

If you would like to see more Valusian support products from Ryan, there are several action that you can take to help make that reality happen. I list them in decreasing order of importance:

1. Buy Valus (you can order via our web site or from Amazon)
  2. Ask your FLGS to ask their distributor to carry the Valus; you’ll probably need to provide them with the product information about the books (DWP web site, product code, price, and ISBN), since like 60% of the folks on ENWorld, they probably haven’t heard of it
  3. Buy Return of Ippizicus Child-Eater (you can order from our web site)
  4. Buy Eight Kings by Rob Kuntz (even though this isn’t set in on the Valus, it helps convince the DWP bean counters that d20 remains a viable market to pursue; you can also snag this from DWP or from Amazon)
  5. Write to DWP at sales@diffworlds.com and express your interest in more Valusian products (and feel free to copy my account as well, if you’d like to do so)
  6. Write to DWP at retail@diffworlds.com with the contact information for your local store, so that we can pester them to carry the products directly or to pester their distributors to do so

You are collectively part of the d20 market, and your purchase decisions help determine whether or not the Valus is a success or not. In fact your roles are larger than the average d20 consumer, because as ENWorld members, you are potential and key early adopters, since 40% of you already know Ryan’s work from his Story Hour. Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that you alone control the fate of the Valus setting---Different Worlds has action to take as well, and starting this poll to solicit your feedback and input is one part of what we need to be doing (and doing better, in general).

I’m also starting another poll at http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=122857 in order to get a better idea of the kinds of support products you’d most like to see published for the Valus.

More replies later!

Last edited:

WizarDru

Adventurer
To answer Wisdom Penalty's earlier question: The Return of Ippizicus Childeater does, in fact, have setting information. Set in the foothills near the Balantir Cor along the Duskingway, ROIC centers on the tiny village of Chatham, and the imminent tragedy that needs averting.

It has Wilderness details and encounter charts, weather tables, specific geographic details and descriptions for the Chatham region in the central Valus.

Frankly, it's one the best modules I've read. Period.

devilish

Explorer
Heard about it here -- funny that it's not an option.

Buttercup said:
Not only have I heard of it, I own it!

Heard it, own it, use it, love it. My PC's really enjoy the Valus
campaign setting.

-D

Remove ads