• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vampire ?'s

kreynolds

First Post
dkilgo said:
Yeah, the whole improving hte crit range of a stake, and spending the feats to do this, is insane. Why, unless you are in an infested world, would any character want to do that?

It's not insane if that's the basis of the campaign. Perhaps that's what you do. Perhaps you're a vampire hunter. That's not an insane concept. I could put forth the same argument that it would be silly to spend the gold and buy the feats for a weapon of demon slaying if you're only going to encounter a demon 5% of the time. Being a vampire hunter is no more insane than being a demon hunter (Knight of the Chalice). It just depends on the type of game.

dkilgo said:
There are cheaper and faster ways to deal with a vampire.

A +1 keen stake would only be 8,000gp. If you're worried about other creatures in random encounters as well, just pick up another magic weapon.

dkilgo

First Post
Please allow me to clarify myself.

I was stating that it would be insane only if you were not a vampire hunter. If you were encountering vampires pretty much on a regular basis then sure it would be a great weapon to have at the ready. But, if that was not happening then it would probably make more sense to find another weaknes of the vampire and exploit it. Possibly using a more versatile weapon that not only hurts undead, but could also be useful in other situations.

ruleslawyer

kreynolds said:

Being a vampire hunter is no more insane than being a demon hunter (Knight of the Chalice). It just depends on the type of game.

Exactly. Specialization vs. a particular creature type is fine, IMHO. Actually, it's much worse for the player than specializing in a particular fighting style or spellcasting subgroup, since it's the DM, not the players, who get to decide which creature types the PCs encounter.

dkilgo

First Post
That is where it gets deadly for the character.

Once the character starts down the path of specialization in a particular field the balance starts to sway. Only because the DM is limited at that point of what he could safely put in front of your character before that character's class focus starts to break. For example, if you take a paladin and give him levels in KotC then he becomes specialized in hunting demons. Since that KotC is specialize din hunting Demons all of his attack styles and tactics are focused on hunting Demons. But, when an encounter comes around that does not involve a Demon that KotC is practically toast. He will have to rely more on his fellow party members to carry him through the battle because fighting this non-demon creature is not his forte. And, since it is not his forte he is most likely going ot get squished like a bug if he is not careful.

That is just an example, and I hope you understand what I am trying to say. Have a nice day!

kreynolds

First Post
dkilgo said:
Once the character starts down the path of specialization in a particular field the balance starts to sway.

Well, if the style of game isn't about hunting demons, then why is it being run for the character in the first place?

Last edited:

dkilgo

First Post
kreynolds said:

Well sure, but that pretty much goes without saying though.

I have noticed that sometimes you have to state the obvious to get the point accross. Only from time to time, though. Hey, I have a knack for it, too.

Mordane76

First Post
But, if in the space of a normal campaign, a character declares a wish to take levels in one of these class, at what point along that progression of levels does the DM have to decide that either the character must leave the party (because the campaign focus no longer supports that character) or the focus of the campaign must change, possibly alienating the other members of the party?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads