• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Variant rules for Turn Undead

Klaus

First Post
Old_school_overlord said:
I'd like to switch Turn undead into a damage inflicting version instead.

Does anyone have good house rules for this?
What blarg said.

In short:

Turn Undead is a 30' burst of positive energy, dealing 1d6 points of damage to all undead in the area (Will save for half; DC is half cleric level + Wisdom modifier). Incorporeal undead are affected just like corporeal ones. Turn Resistance is added as a bonus to the Will save. Rebuking Undead heals undead creatures. Neither ability functions on the living.

If you have the Sun domain, I suggest taking the variant ability from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft ([Light] spells can be turned into real sunlight by spending a turn attempt, but range is reduced and duration is 1d4+1 rounds).

Slaved

First Post
In Complete Divine the Turn Resistance actually just reduces the amount of damage taken. This turns a strong ability into a negligable ability.

Adding Turn Resistance as a bonus on the Willpower Saving Throw is a good addition to that to make Turn Resistance matter more.

Slaved

First Post
If it feels like too much damage you could change it to d4/level. Greater Turning could then do either d8/level or 2d4/level.

Drowbane

First Post
Old_school_overlord said:
I'd like to switch Turn undead into a damage inflicting version instead.

Does anyone have good house rules for this?

I used a further house ruled version of whats in Complete Divine (covers more contingencies I think). I don't know how to link it here... shoot me an email at db_sd_va@hotmail.com or drowbane@gmail.com and I'll send you what I have. Assuming you don't get "spam filtered". :p

Endevor

First Post
This is the house rule i will try next time :

For one turn you have:
-magic circle against undead on 20", you can maintain the circle without using another turn attempt if you use a move action on further rounds
-1d6 dmg per 2 lvl with will save 10 + 1/2 cleric lvl + charisma on 20"

Remove ads