• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Vecna: Eve of Ruin Coming 2024

Just revealed by WotC, a multiverse spanning adventure which goes up to level 20 and features cameos from famous D&D characters. More info when we have it! Update--WotC has taken down the promo image and replaced it with one without a release date. See more here.

IMG_2048.jpeg

Just revealed by WotC, a multiverse spanning adventure which goes up to level 20 and features cameos from famous D&D characters. More info when we have it!

Update--WotC has taken down the promo image and replaced it with one without a release date. See more here.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
...thus implying that the delta from 1e -> 5e is of the same size as that from 5e 2014 -> 5e 2024. And that's plainly inaccurate.
I did not mean to imply that. I was merely suggesting that "compatibility" can be very broad.
You can't (or in general, shouldn't) just run a 1e adventure with 5e stat blocks swapped in; a good conversion requires a lot more finessing.
Does it? I know lots of people -- myself included-- that do just that, with a high degree of success.
But the argument is that you can swap 2024 stat blocks into a 2014 adventure just fine.
People keep saying this without knowing what changes are being wrought. And, no, MotM is not a reliable metric. There will be 2 years of development time between that and the new MM. Maybe they will follow the same math, maybe they won't. No one knows, because no one has seen a 2024 monster.

A couple of thoughts on this now that I've had time to mull things over.

Firstly, I'm willing to bet that they're going to build an on-ramp for this adventure at about 11th level so that other campaigns (SKT, RotFM, Phandelver, etc.) that feature the mysterious obelisks can just continue on using the higher-level section of the adventure. Basically, I'm assuming that the first part of this book from levels 1 - 11 will be an adventure investigating the obelisks (heck, some from previous adventures might make appearances), with a change in scope to multiversal levels around 11 - 12, which would allow the aforesaid on-ramping from other campaigns to happen.

Secondly, it really does sound like they have heard the pleas and are looking to support, at least somewhat, higher-level play. Both this adventure going to level 20, and all the high-CR monsters they're talking about for the MM seem to show that this neglected portion of the game is going to get some love.

People keep saying this without knowing what changes are being wrought. And, no, MotM is not a reliable metric. There will be 2 years of development time between that and the new MM. Maybe they will follow the same math, maybe they won't. No one knows, because no one has seen a 2024 monster.
It has been a few months since Bigby’s. I think we have a pretty good idea of where monsters are going.

Raziel1974

Villager
A couple of thoughts on this now that I've had time to mull things over.

Firstly, I'm willing to bet that they're going to build an on-ramp for this adventure at about 11th level so that other campaigns (SKT, RotFM, Phandelver, etc.) that feature the mysterious obelisks can just continue on using the higher-level section of the adventure. Basically, I'm assuming that the first part of this book from levels 1 - 11 will be an adventure investigating the obelisks (heck, some from previous adventures might make appearances), with a change in scope to multiversal levels around 11 - 12, which would allow the aforesaid on-ramping from other campaigns to happen.

Secondly, it really does sound like they have heard the pleas and are looking to support, at least somewhat, higher-level play. Both this adventure going to level 20, and all the high-CR monsters they're talking about for the MM seem to show that this neglected portion of the game is going to get some love.
Maybe they'll even bring back Epic Level content for beyond 20 for once. Doing new content like they used to back in 3e, when the game was actually good. I'm still waiting on a Psionics book. Never seen an edition go without one, WotC is failing as usual.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They've already stated that the whole point is to bring the MM in line with MotM math yhe dame reason the Tasha's Subclassesbare going into the new PHB without any playtesting.

Stalker0

Legend
This will be no more a new edition than 3.5 was, and maybe even less of a change than what happened from 3.0 to 3.5, though I am sure the unofficial name for the new core books will be 5.5.
I think this is really underselling the amount of change that Happened in 3.5. A lot changed, monsters, monster mechanics, spells, feats, magic items, combat mechanics and maneuvers, all of the classes got a lot of updates. It was pretty darn different when taken as a package

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads