• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Versatile Weapons and Power Attack

Moon-Lancer

First Post
do versatile weapons count as two handed weapons for power attack and other feats?

The raw seems to indicate no, but my intuition and instincts or maybe just my desire says they should.

Last edited:

elandy

First Post
Sorry for resurecting this old thread, but I was asking my self this same question.

Someone got an answer? The more official, the better. Thanks!

Andy.-

Mahali

Explorer
No they don't count as two-handed weapons. There is no need for a ruling either. PHB p 217 clearly says they are one-handed weapons you can use two-handed.

Only two-handed weapons get the higher bonus. Not one-handed weapons being used with both hands.

Tenniel

First Post
Someone got an answer? The more official, the better.

Nothing official, yet. I expect this to get an official one day. General concensus is that a versatile weapon is a 1-handed even when wielded in two hands. It will only ever be general concensus until something official comes out because of these wordings:

p217 "Versatile weapons are one-handed, but you can use them two-handed."
Yep, pretty clear... they are one handed, you just use them in 2 hands.

p215 "Other one-handed weapons are large enough that you can keep a good grip on them with two hands and deal extra damage by using them as two-handed weapons. "
Oh not so clear:-S.... what does "use as" mean:erm:??

By my reckoning however, the p217 reference is a specific rule while p215 is general fluffiness.

nittanytbone

First Post
There's a difference between a Two Handed weapon and a weapon that can be wielded in two hands.

The weapons tables clearly indicate which weapons are Two Handed Weapons.

Therefore, I'd say, no, you may not treat a Long Sword or other versatile weapon being wielded with two hands as a two hander for purposes of power attack.

When there is an official ruling, it may come out something along the lines of this:

Nelyo 05-29-08, 12:33 PM
"Say I have a Fighter using a Longsword + Shield combo, and he has the Fighter Weapon Talent giving +1 to attack rolls with one-handed weapons. If I drop my shield and use my Longsword two-handed, do I still get +1 to attack rolls from my Fighter Weapon Talent? If I'm using a feat or power that gains extra benefits for wielding a two-handed weapon (like Reaving Strike or Power Attack) do I get those bonuses? Basically, when you wield a versatile one-handed weapon two-handed, for what purposes is it still considered a one-handed weapon, and for what purposes is it considered a two-handed weapon?"

WotC Mearls 05-29-08, 07:33 PM
"This is not an official answer, but let me give some insight into how versatile is intended to work.

As a rule of thumb when using a versatile weapon, default to giving the player the most beneficial reading of a rule or situation regarding one or two handed use.

So, the fighter would still get his weapon talent, and he could also gain the benefits of reaping strike.

Versatile is intended to let you have your cake and eat it too."

Mallus

Legend
do versatile weapons count as two handed weapons for power attack and other feats?
When wielded two-handed, sure.

Otherwise, what purpose would the versatile designation serve? It can't simply mean that the weapon can be wielded either one-handed or two. Note that the other weapon keywords describe mechanical effects.

Rafe

First Post
p215 "Other one-handed weapons are large enough that you can keep a good grip on them with two hands and deal extra damage by using them as two-handed weapons."

When wielded two-handed, sure.

Otherwise, what purpose would the versatile designation serve? It can't simply mean that the weapon can be wielded either one-handed or two. Note that the other weapon keywords describe mechanical effects.

The difference is a weapon wielded with two hands vs a weapon in the two-handed weapon category, as has been said. I see where this argument comes from (and I know Tenniel isn't arguing that by posting the p215 reference) but the idea is that a Two-Handed Weapon is larger and designed to deal more damage. Thus, Power Attack deals more damage with such weapons; a longsword wielded with two hands is not as deadly as a greatsword wielded with two hands. It doesn't matter if a weapon must be wielded with two hands or not. A greatsword is larger and heavier and, thus, deals more damage.

At this point, however, I could be swayed either way. There are good arguments on both sides of the issue.

DrSpunj

Explorer
At this point, however, I could be swayed either way. There are good arguments on both sides of the issue.

I agree. To try and see the effects of ruling a versatile weapon being used two-handed actually counts as being a two-handed weapon, what other rules does that interact with besides the Power Attack feat? I have books, not PDFs, so can't easily search for that string in the Core rules. IOW, what else are we missing if we allow this?

Thanks

Remove ads