Videogames are boring once you embrace RPG?

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I do like tabletop games more but they are so much more of a pain to get together than a CRPG, which I can play anytime I want. Painting minis has cut into my CRPG time a lot too. And as said before, they do scratch different itches.

jasper

Rotten DM
HMM. No. Help Help I not enjoying my old hobby as much as my new hobby! My new hobby is loads better. While I am playing less video games now that I back to playing RPGs. It is just because I move my entertainment slider over to table top and away from VGs. I think my Self entertainment time is the same.
edit to add
So far this year I spend the about following
Video games $221 includes new custom controller
Cross stitch $85 includes rebuying gear the house ate
table top games includes RPG $380 includes new dice (impulse and props impulse)
So I spent a lot on rpgs this year. But my avg video game expense is $660 a year (includes new consoles). So I within 26 dollars spend on hobbies. Don't ask me what I spend on my wife's new hobby this year.

Last edited:

Warrior Poet

Explorer
Have anyone of you experience something similiar?

A veces. Pienso que hay algunas razónes:

1) Improvements in video games do not always include improvements I seek. Graphics and sound are fine, but lack of a good story does not hold my interest for long. Role-playing games need a good story, too, por supuesto, but the inherent mutability and dynamism in an rpg allows adjustment to unfold regularly, at the participants' pace, and with the participants' input. Ser muy importante.

2) My taste in video games has changed over the years (I am old enough to remember the arrival of Pong and Pac-Man). Now I want a good story, and a game that lets me take my time, and make the choices I like to make. I prefer video games that offer players a chance to play. Cut-scenes are fine, but too many, too long, too much and I lose interest.

3) I prefer video games that do not hold my hand, and allow me to explore, advance, and play at my own pace, in my own time. The amount of time I spend playing video games has slowly diminished. I have become more selective.

4) I do not like to play video games online against other people. Es no más mi preferencia personalmente. Many video games feature or insist on multi-player, and single-player is what I like better. Video games—for me—are an introverted activity that I can use to recharge (soy introvertido). On the other hand, I like playing role-playing games with other people, where I enjoy cooperation more than competition.

5) To a certain degree, many video games are caught in an "arms race" related to the technology required to operate them. As I grow older, I have less interest in "keeping up" with the technology updates and upgrades required to stay abreast of many video games.

6) I was playing rpgs before I ever played video games. No game type since has inspired my imagination to the same degree, even though I have enjoyed many video games. Rpgs continue to inspire.

7) With rpgs I connect with my dearest friends. Eso es lo mejor.

¡Que se vaya bien con usted, suyos, y todos sus juegos!

Still learning,

Robert

Doug McCrae

Legend
I started playing tabletop rpgs in 1982 and videogames somewhat earlier in arcades and on our Binatone games console. For me, videogames are preferable because they give me more freedom. In tabletop rpgs frequently the rest of the party want to do X while I want to do Y. For example, the rest of the party will want to attack a particular NPC so I'll have to go along with it. Even strategy games such as Civilization give me more choice than that.

Same here. The only exception is Splatoon, which is a ton of fun, and also has extremely limited methods of communication.

As far as the technological arms race goes, I think that a good game stands the test of time outside of its graphics and whatnot. So many games later, and I still count The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time as my favorite videogame.

4) I do not like to play video games online against other people. Es no más mi preferencia personalmente. Many video games feature or insist on multi-player, and single-player is what I like better. Video games—for me—are an introverted activity that I can use to recharge (soy introvertido).

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Have anyone of you experience something similiar? Do you think that RPGs could be the reason, or one of the reasons, we (or you) stopped liking video games?

Hmm, I dont play as much video games as I used to but then again I dont have as much free time as I used to. The only exception is Civilisation and the reason I dont play that now was I could not stop once I started to play and I really need sleep.

Remove ads