• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Volley Shot

What do you think?

New Feat – Volley Shot
You can turn your arrow shots into an area attack.

Prerequisite: Rapid Shot, base attack +6.

Benefit: As a full-round action you can choose a single square within range of your bow. All creatures in that square must make a Reflex save (DC 10 + your attack bonus with your bow -2 per range increment beyond the first) or take damage as if you had struck that creature with an arrow. Using this ability requires three arrows, and you cannot add precision-based bonus damage.

Intended to give mid-level mooks a chance of dealing some damage against high-level PCs.

javcs

First Post
There's an option similar to this in Heroes of Battle, however it doesn't require a feat.

I don't remember much more about it, but IIRC it also dropped strength bonuses and negated some forms of cover ... of course, for a mook horde doing this, Plunging Shot (+1d6 damage against foes >30ft/lower than you (there are different versions)) is almost a necessity.

As for the feat itself, what does it do against swarms? Follow the standard +50% damage for area effects rule?

Tetsubo

First Post
As already stated there is such a mechanic in -Heroes of Battle- that doesn't require a feat. But it does require a minimum number of archers, which makes sense. Volley shots are only really effective if they involve multiple archers. You need a LOT of arrows (or bolts) in the air to achieve "saturation". Three arrows falling into an area isn't going to achieve that...

Hm. What if instead it was, "Pick a creature, make one attack against it, expending three arrows. Creature makes a Reflex save (DC = your attack roll), or else takes damage from a single hit"?

Mechanically that would be about the same...

I have a HR for bows that limits them to one shot and the threat range increases for each iterative that could have been taken... twisting that a bit your 'volley' could be:

Careful Shot:
Benefit: When making a full attack with a bow, you may spend a full round action and sacrifice your iterative attacks for greater accuracy. Each additional attack sacrificed adds +2 to hit.

In this fashion your Rapid Shot +6 BAB guy would have a +4 to hit with the single arrow, allowing medium level mooks to have a better chance of hitting high AC targets.

ChimericDream

First Post
Primitive Screwhead said:
Mechanically that would be about the same...

I have a HR for bows that limits them to one shot and the threat range increases for each iterative that could have been taken... twisting that a bit your 'volley' could be:

Careful Shot:
Benefit: When making a full attack with a bow, you may spend a full round action and sacrifice your iterative attacks for greater accuracy. Each additional attack sacrificed adds +2 to hit.

In this fashion your Rapid Shot +6 BAB guy would have a +4 to hit with the single arrow, allowing medium level mooks to have a better chance of hitting high AC targets.
I like it. Yoinking this.

God I love ENWorld.

Remove ads