• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Volo's Guide to Monsters: General Discussion.

gyor

Legend
So far from what we've heard my favourite races are Aasimar, Pureblood, Bugbear, Firbolg, Triton, Lizardfolk.

Last edited:

flametitan

Explorer
What I've heard about Aasimar sounds interesting, but it really throws a wrench into how I was originally planning to give aasimar variant traits like the SCAG Tiefling.

I'll have to see it action before I decide how to handle this.

GarrettKP

Explorer
555e808bb397cbe1f6d4b5ea95afb9eb.jpg
1259d5b1bc32be9ed8dc1c2172c587f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flametitan

Explorer
Thanks. I was just going to pick up the book Saturday, but I guess that works too.

Interesting that this page references the Tyranny of Dragons. Just a bit of tying everything together, but interesting.

flametitan

Explorer
I would love to have seen a template that would allow me to create an Aasimar using an elf as it's mortal side.

That would've been neat. Even something that just notes you can have an appearance similiar to that of a non-human race, like the Genasi does, would've been a helpful addition. Personally I would've liked to have seen an appearance table like the tiefling gets full of traits that make them look out there. Eyes all over the body, rainbow feathers instead of hair...

gyor

Legend
I have mixed feeling on the Aasimar. The mechanics are amazing, but the fluff feels like a retcon from the SCAG.

The Majority of Aasimar, the place where they were most common, is Mulhorand and the surrounding lands. Some would have connections to Mount Celestia in other lands, along with other higher planes, but in Mulhorand and surrounding areas the Aasimar are descended from Mulan Gods and their celestial servants.

Otherwise its great. Still for a nominially FR book it seems to have next to nothing connecting it to the Forgotten Realms so far from the previews, and the promised Elminster and Volo sparing seems to in short supply so far, but the previews on this front could be misleading.

But as I said I've only the previews to go on, so maybe they are misleading.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
Do the Tabaxi do anything else beyond running fast, like claws, skills profs, or something else?

And thanks for the info on the Aasimar.

Aasimar: It looks like it would be fairly easy to turn the aasimar in the DMG into another subrace. Just add on their +1 Wis and Innate spellcasting. With light overlapping, they would be identical to the DMG version + the Lay on Hands feature. Since the DMG version always felt a bit weak, that would be a pretty cool little buff.

How's the balance on that compared to the others feel?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads