• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Vote for your favourite 5E cover art!

Which cover art do you like best?

• Starter Set

Votes: 63 22.1%
  • Player's Handbook

Votes: 34 11.9%
  • Monster Manual

Votes: 90 31.6%
  • Dungeon Master's Guide

Votes: 30 10.5%
  • Hoard of the Dragon Queen

Votes: 14 4.9%
  • The Rise of Tiamat

Votes: 54 18.9%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I will admit, the white dragon cloak is a genius kinda move for an adversary that everyone and their mother (with any kinda magic to bare) will be throwing cold/ice spells at.

Genius? Only in the sense that me wearing a coat out when it's cold makes me a genius! Seems like basic common sense to me. The question is why, up till now, they've all been so intensely stupid as to not do something like that?

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
The Monster Manual is my favorite, followed by the Starter Set. In fact, I with the Player's Handbook had the Starter Set's art. Which isn't to say I dislike the PHB cover. Just that it doesn't feel as iconic.

I still don't like the choice of type for the titles. It just doesn't seem to match the rest.

Derren

Hero
All of this art is pretty mediocre. Sure, they are well drawn but they hardly convey what the book is about. Instead we have over the top fighting scenes on all of them (except for Lich Galactus). What has two guys fighting a Giant to do with the player handbook, a book used for creating characters of various races and professions?
What has Galactus to do with building a world (DMG)?

The only two books where the cover art has at least some connection to the content is the MM (Just because there the usual fighting scene actually fits) and Rise of Tiamat for showing Tiamat.
And while not visible on the book cover, in the high res version Tiamats claw looks a lot like plastic to me.

So that leaves the MM which gets my vote.

Talath

Explorer
Genius? Only in the sense that me wearing a coat out when it's cold makes me a genius! Seems like basic common sense to me. The question is why, up till now, they've all been so intensely stupid as to not do something like that?

You have to kill it first. What kind of person would go out of their way to kill the creature that holds special power to inflict really great harm on them? Only the best of the best could do that, which is why I assume King Snurre wears one and not many others do.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You have to kill it first. What kind of person would go out of their way to kill the creature that holds special power to inflict really great harm on them? Only the best of the best could do that, which is why I assume King Snurre wears one and not many others do.

That doesn't make him a genius.

Talath

Explorer
The artist for the PHB cover and the DMG cover displayed the uncropped covers on his website.

PHB---Tyler-Jacobson.jpg

DMG--Tyler-Jacobson.jpg

You certainly get a better sense of the scene with the uncropped versions.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Well, I'm guessing that the way-right balance of the "uncropped" images means that the left side of the images will be appearing on the back cover.

Remove ads