• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vote: The Best OD&D and B/ED&D Adventures!

What are the best OD&D and B/ED&D Adventures (pick all that are worthy)?

• Blackmoor, Supplement II: Temple of the Frog

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • JG: Lost Caverns of Thracia

Votes: 22 20.4%
  • JG: Tegel Manor

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • PG: The Lost Abbey of Calthonwey

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • B1 In Search of the Unknown

• B2 Keep on the Borderlands

Votes: 59 54.6%
  • B4 Lost City

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • B5 Horror on the Hill

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • B6 The Veiled Society

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • B7 Rahasia

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • B10 Night's Dark Terror

• X1 Isle of Dread

Votes: 48 44.4%
  • X2 Castle Amber

Votes: 49 45.4%
  • X4 Master of the Desert Nomads

Votes: 19 17.6%
  • X5 Temple of Death

Votes: 16 14.8%
  • X7: War Rafts of Kron

• X10 Red Arrow, Black Shield

Votes: 14 13.0%
  • XL1 Quest for the Heartstone

• DA1 Adventures in Blackmoor

• DA2 Temple of the Frog

Votes: 11 10.2%
  • DA3 City of the Gods

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • CM1 Test of the Warlords

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • CM3 Saber River

• CM4 Earthshaker!

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • CM9 Legacy of Blood

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • M3 Twilight Calling

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • M5 Talons of Night

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • IM1 Immortal Storm

• HWQ1 The Milenian Sceptre

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • There were no great OD&D and B/ED&D Adventures

• Other (speak up!)

Votes: 11 10.2%

• Poll closed .

Grand_Director

Explorer
Night’s Dark Terror is fantastic. Everything about is just great.

Red Arrow, Black Shield was the basis for one of the best campaigns I ever ran. We didn’t use the Battle System rules, but everything else from that game remained intact. I still have the map and the module, but the army chits are long gone. I would love to relive that campaign, but I know it will never be as good the second time, regardless of how new my players are. In later years I would run a world war in my Scarred Lands game and I applied all the lessons I learned ten years earlier playing Red Arrow to that game. Minus the actual moving armies around on a map, it was a success.

Test of the Warlords, while not an adventure in the strictest sense, was wonderful for helping me set up the proper tone for a game of that level. The land that the players gain was a direct result of some diplomacy in Red Arrow and was a great way to shift the game from working for a nation to being one. Once again I applied all the lessons of court intrigue and land clearing from that module and apply it to my D20 game.

There is one other that is not on the list. I think the name was The Crown of Glory. It was a late Expert module and was set in the Vestland area. I remember the great villains and a good story that required overland travel to piece together the mystery of returning the true king to the throne.

Grand_Director

Explorer
AussieDM said:
CM6 - Where Chaos Reigns? I still have it here on my shelf :)

You know, I have this as well and as much as I think it is great, i KNOW that my players would blanch at the alien bad guys and the equipment they use.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The top three are pretty clear--and I doubt they will change.

Rankings 4, 5, 6...seem to be pretty wide open. And even with only 60 votes, all 30 (or so) have picked by at least a couple of people as "classic"...so many adventures, so little time...

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
And we still only have about 60 votes...share the nostalgia, share the love, share the bitting comments....

....and vote, please!

Last edited:

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
Grand_Director said:
You know, I have this as well and as much as I think it is great, i KNOW that my players would blanch at the alien bad guys and the equipment they use.

I love this module myself. My group didn't have any problems with the techno-magic stuff (we'd already been through some of the Blackmoor modules). If you think you're group would, try to keep the aliens hidden, and phrase their equipment in such a way that it seems like magic for as long as possible. Preferably until the PCs get zapped into the mother ship. :p

T. Foster

First Post
Since I just mentioned it in another thread and forgot to mention it during the 'nominating' round (and since this I believe this is the thread where non-edition-specific 'D&D compatible' modules are being thrown) let me throw a write-in vote for The Abduction of Good King Despot by Will & Schar Niebling and Russ Stambaugh, published in 1987 as part of New Infinities' generic/D&D-compatible 'Fantasy Master' line. This is one of my very favorite modules, full of both very clever challenges and jokes that are sometimes actually funny. It was self-consciously retro/old-school even in its day, and includes an S1-style illustration booklet. Apparently this is also one of Gary Gygax's favorite modules and before it was published he used to carry a copy around with him to use for one-shot games at conventions (where, honestly, it would work much better than as part of an ongoing campaign).

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
And with a measely 73 votes the top ten are:

B2 Keep on the Borderlands
X1 Isle of Dread
X2 Castle Amber
B4 Lost City
B10 Night's Dark Terror
B1 In Search of the Unknown
X4 Master of the Desert Nomads
JG: Lost Caverns of Thracia
X5 Temple of Death