Walking Dead season 2 (spoilers)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Again, these people are stupid and it is sad they are wrote that way. I have no problem with them driving into the housing area but do a drive by, blow the horn and see what comes out of the bushes. Enter house, no flash light nor (again) exit plan.

Zombie Kit...
  • hand axe - wack tool
  • guns - nuff said
  • shield - I swear it is a great tool
  • rope - better than jumping from a window
  • flash lights & batteries
  • remote controlled CD player - place it somewhere and turn it on

Crothian

First Post
I actually think the stupid action of the characters is on purpose. That way all the fans can point out the glaring errors and discuss it to no end.

Personally, I'm a bit bored with the farm plots and can't wait till they move on to something else.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I actually think the stupid action of the characters is on purpose. That way all the fans can point out the glaring errors and discuss it to no end.
Well, if the stupidity continues, and/or gets worse, it will drive me from continuing to watch the show. It jolts me out of the mood for watching.

Also, Shane is supposed to be a great firearm instructor, but the only "instruction" we see is him yelling at and antagonizing the woman. Not one word about breathing or leading or anticipating or anything actual useful for firing at a moving target. With all the guns they have on the filming set, surely they have some weapons experts who could perhaps give the writers a couple of lines on how Shane should be instructing someone.

Bullgrit

Ahnehnois

First Post
But, my problem with them is that they're in a world full of walkers/zombies and they're always driving around with the car windows all the way down. At least the window is some protection from a hidden/lurking zombie. If you want fresh air, crack the window open. Now, if you're on the open highway, that's fine... but, in a neighborhood.
It is set in Georgia. Running AC all the time wastes gas (which raises a bigger issue, because gas does not stay usable forever even if stored), and it may be too hot to function with windows closed.

Bullgrit said:
Also, Shane is supposed to be a great firearm instructor, but the only "instruction" we see is him yelling at and antagonizing the woman. Not one word about breathing or leading or anticipating or anything actual useful for firing at a moving target. With all the guns they have on the filming set, surely they have some weapons experts who could perhaps give the writers a couple of lines on how Shane should be instructing someone.
There was a bit more in earlier episodes, and it makes sense that the camera would focus more on the emotional stuff and less on the technical stuff. Also, given the results, it appears Shane accurately appraised that emotions were the only thing keeping her from being a capable combatant, which is sometimes part of teaching.
1- Shane and shooter-woman? go into the neighborhood to look for the girl. They park the car and decide to start at the back and work their way out?! WTH? These people are survivors? And they determine that the girl hasn't been to the neighborhood by exploring one house, and then give up on that area?
Perhaps they decided that if the neighborhood was overrun, she probably would not have stayed there any longer than they did, if she had survived and come through.

I challenge anyone to make entertaining genre fiction (or fiction period) that can't be picked apart. That said, there's usually a decent answer to these kinds of questions if you think about them.

I'm more concerned with how no one heard anything from the barn. These creatures/people aren't exactly silent, and one would expect the party to be very sensitive at this point. I'm also wondering how one snuck up on them in the drug store for the same reasons. On a character level, I'm wondering why Herschel decided to keep his 'prisoners' a secret. If it's not wrong/stupid to keep them in the barn why hide them? Always more questions...

Last edited:

NewJeffCT

First Post
I'm more concerned with how no one heard anything from the barn. These creatures/people aren't exactly silent, and one would expect the party to be very sensitive at this point. I'm also wondering how one snuck up on them in the drug store for the same reasons. On a character level, I'm wondering why Herschel decided to keep his 'prisoners' a secret. If it's not wrong/stupid to keep them in the barn why hide them? Always more questions...

In the comics (swipe for spoilers)

I just flipped through the comics again tonight just to make sure, but when they got to Hershel's farm, Hershel told them up front to avoid the barn because 'that's where all the dead ones are' - so, the group knew about it right away.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
And they determine that the girl hasn't been to the neighborhood by exploring one house, and then give up on that area?
Eh, they said they'd go back and check again so they haven't given up on the area.

Hell, even if it was a month, his wife and best friend slept together already? Whoa, that's fast.
Eh, even if it was just a week, I could understand. You're in a situation that is so intensely dire, beyond anything even a vet in Iraq would be going through given the supernatural and apocalyptic nature of it, and could be eaten alive any day and you have a kid to protect and there's this crack-shot, tough and skilled guy who's not too bad looking, who can protect you and your son... honestly, if she was my wife I wouldn't be upset about it.

I just flipped through the comics again tonight just to make sure, but when they got to Hershel's farm, Hershel told them up front to avoid the barn because 'that's where all the dead ones are' - so, the group knew about it right away.
I have to say that I prefer what they did in the TV series then; far more dramatic and interesting.

Also, best episode of the season. So many pay-offs for all the setup they've been doing lately. The only thing that really bugged me this episode was that a walker was in the pharmacy. I mean, come on, they've been going there repeatedly, they had sex in there, and then suddenly when it's dramatically appropriate, a walker somehow pops up out of nowhere? Plus the lead-in was so obvious I ended up predicting it five minutes before it happened.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
<sigh>
2- Rick's wife slept with Shane because she thought Rick was dead? I haven't seen the first season/episodes, so I don't know how long Rick was "dead," but he didn't die in his unattended coma, I have to figure he was out for not more than a week. Hell, even if it was a month, his wife and best friend slept together already? Whoa, that's fast.

Bullgrit

It was never said but from bits here and there, it looked like it was from 4 to 6 weeks from the time Rick was shot until he wakes up from his coma. The zombie plague starts up at the same time or just after Rick is shot. The big question is just when Shane told Rick's wife he was dead, which looks like it was less than a week before he woke up. Then you have the time Rick took to find his family, looks like days but could have been longer. So, how long was Rick "dead" to his family, at the most 3 weeks. The time Shane has to set himself up as man of the house, 7 to 9 weeks in a very stressful world.

CrimsonReaver

First Post
There was a bit more in earlier episodes, and it makes sense that the camera would focus more on the emotional stuff and less on the technical stuff.

I think taking a few minutes to discuss the technical stuff - particularly breathing, squeezing the trigger, and leading your target - would have been appropriate, especially with Carl, because it did look like the writers had no clue what would make someone a good firearms instructor. The whole "I'm going to yell at you, make you angry, and then you'll suddenly be an expert marksman" thing played way too Hollywood movie cliche. It's a tiny quibble, but it still bothered me a little.

On a character level, I'm wondering why Herschel decided to keep his 'prisoners' a secret. If it's not wrong/stupid to keep them in the barn why hide them? Always more questions...

I was satisfied with his explanation to Dale, that not everyone is going to be reasonable or respectful of his beliefs/feelings. The world has gone to hell and mob rule is the new law of the land; all it would take is for one person to get the group riled up, playing to their fear or hatred or sense of loss, and next thing you know they're burning Herschel's barn to the ground. Even though Daryl's now the only likable character, I can still imagine him leading a charge to put those walkers down, regardless of what Herschel, their host, wants. Or I can imagine T-Dogg wanting to prove what a big, tough guy he is, or Andrea (especially in her current state of mind) letting her sorrow and rage for her dead sister drive her toward siding with the barn burners. Or Rick's b*tch of a wife, shrieking that they need to destroy the walkers, probably using the safety of Carl as her reasoning/manipulation tactic - even though she was half-praying for him to die not that long ago. Yep. I perfectly understand why Herschel would keep it a secret, especially now that he somewhat knows the personalities he's dealing with.

---

I am a bit puzzled by Rick's need to stay on Herschel's farm. I mean, if everyone in that group wants to settle down, if they're tired of being on the road and given up all hope for reaching a fort or safe haven, there have to be other abandoned farms/ranches in the area with similar wells and whatnot. Find a home, clear it out and clean it up, secure the land with fences, and maybe barter a few chickens and a cow or two from Herschel. They could have everything they have now without needing to impose on Herschel and his family and, therefore, not have to live by his rules or beliefs. If it's a matter of wanting to be near someone with medical skills, then just take the next farm over. The idea that they have to stay on Herschel's land is just ridiculous.

Still, I'm glad to see they're starting to ratchet up the tension and turmoil within the main group, because the show was starting to get dull. The essence of drama is conflict, and if they don't have regular, intense zombies attacks then they really need the tension and conflict of human nature and high emotions. Whenever they aren't unified against the zombies, they really need to be fractured and fighting amongst themselves, or there's no conflict, no tension, and no reason to keep watching.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
New Game - Rock, Paper, Zombie...(Hollywood Rules)...

Human vs window = window: human will be unable to break windows
Zombie vs window = Zombie: window always breaks with zombie, unless window is used as weapon

Human vs car = human: will flip and roll but run away
Zombie vs car = car: it is messy

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I am a bit puzzled by Rick's need to stay on Herschel's farm.

A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

I've decided that I still like Glenn and that his going down the well, although incredibly pointless and stupid, was part of him trying to prove his value to the group and part of him accepting a role within it, ie. walker bait, as Maggie so aptly put it.

I've also decided that I like Dale. Standing up to Shane requires nuts of polished steel :D

Remove ads