Walking Dead season 2 (spoilers)

NewJeffCT

First Post
I have to say that I prefer what they did in the TV series then; far more dramatic and interesting.

It seemed to me that most people that hadn't read the comic had already guessed that there were walkers in the barn, and the walkers were possibly relatives/friends/family. So, I think the actual discovery was anti-climactic to many. What other reason for the mysterious "keep away from the barn" message? Toxic waste dump? Rabid pigs? Millions in stolen bullion, which would now be worth squat in the zombie apocalypse?

Last edited:

Ahnehnois

First Post
It seemed to me that most people that hadn't read the comic had already guessed that there were walkers in the barn, and the walkers were possibly relatives/friends/family. So, I think the actual discovery was anti-climactic to many. What other reason for the mysterious "keep away from the barn" message?
I'm unfamiliar with the source material, and I saw that coming. I do find the position that they are still people a very interesting one, and I thought the reveal was entertaining. The Sophia issue and Daryl almost dying are providing enough unpredictability for me.

NewJeffCT

First Post
I'm unfamiliar with the source material, and I saw that coming. I do find the position that they are still people a very interesting one, and I thought the reveal was entertaining. The Sophia issue and Daryl almost dying are providing enough unpredictability for me.

They've deviated quite a bit from the source material -

Walkers/zombies are faster and tougher in TV Walking Dead than in the comics, for one.

big spoilers below
1) In the comics, Shane was dead before they got to Hershel's Farm.
2) They had also run into Tyreese, his daughter and her boyfriend before the farm as well. The producers had specifically mentioned Tyreese & Michonne last year as definite, but didn't say when.
3) The stay at the farm was shorter in the comics
4) In the comics, the whole group went to the housing development before the farm as well, and spent the night there, only to be attacked at night by walkers and having to flee in the camper.

CrimsonReaver

First Post
A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

I've decided that I still like Glenn and that his going down the well, although incredibly pointless and stupid, was part of him trying to prove his value to the group and part of him accepting a role within it, ie. walker bait, as Maggie so aptly put it.

I've also decided that I like Dale. Standing up to Shane requires nuts of polished steel :D

Obviously it'd be easier to stay there and be folded into Herschel's family, but since people in Rick's group are already grumbling about the rules - like not wandering around Herschel's property with guns and letting him handle the walkers - and there's clearly some friction between the two parties, thanks to Rick's group just making themselves at home instead of acting like the guests that they are, I'd think someone would suggest, "Hey, why don't we take the next farm over? That way we won't be stepping on any toes, but we'll still be close enough to check in occasionally, provide support, help each other out, and pool our strength/numbers when needed." That seems like the most logical compromise. Unless Herschel was all, "No, you can't have that farm. That land belongs to Jeb and Eunice Goobersnoot - who are currently rotting in my barn, by the way - but when they're done being zombies they're gonna want their house and land back, and I don't want you kids messing up their place!" Then maybe you pop the geezer in the melon, claim his home and womenfolk, and torch his little zombie petting zoo.

I want to like Glenn, and really wish he'd get back some of the smarts and spine he had from last season, but I have a feeling Maggie's going to go all Lady Macbeth on him. And since he's thinking with his smaller head when it comes to her, I'm worried he'll get manipulated into doing something stupid, selfish and petty. Although, if it gets Shane killed, I'd be kinda okay with that.

And, yeah, Dale somewhat redeemed himself by standing up to Shane, calling him out on lining up his sights on Rick and snidely asking him what really happened to Otis. I still don't like him as much as I did last season, because he's still doing that overbearing, overprotective thing with Andrea that seems less about looking out for her and more about treating her like a child, meddling in her life and trying to control her. But I'm not actively rooting for harm to befall him now. What he does over the next few episodes will likely decide whether or not I want to see him make it to the third season.

And it sucks that we've only got one more episode, and then we have to wait until February for the rest of the season.

NewJeffCT

First Post
And it sucks that we've only got one more episode, and then we have to wait until February for the rest of the season.

I think they broke the season up into two halves because season 1 was 6 weeks - from October 31, 2010 through December 5, 2010. Then, it was a wait of almost a year until season 2.

At least with the season ending at the end of March, it will only be 7 months until season 3 starts in October of 2012, assuming they keep to the same schedule.

Krug

Newshound
They've deviated quite a bit from the source material -

Walkers/zombies are faster and tougher in TV Walking Dead than in the comics, for one.

big spoilers below
1) In the comics, Shane was dead before they got to Hershel's Farm.
2) They had also run into Tyreese, his daughter and her boyfriend before the farm as well. The producers had specifically mentioned Tyreese & Michonne last year as definite, but didn't say when.
3) The stay at the farm was shorter in the comics
4) In the comics, the whole group went to the housing development before the farm as well, and spent the night there, only to be attacked at night by walkers and having to flee in the camper.

It's been pretty inconsistent. Some of the walkers in the latest episode are pretty slow.

I'm glad they're keeping Shane alive but not sure for how long. His character is getting less sympathetic with each episode.

I've always found the character of Michonne hard to digest. A katana wielding kick-ass warrior. Uh yeah sure..

NewJeffCT

First Post
It's been pretty inconsistent. Some of the walkers in the latest episode are pretty slow.

True - I think it depends on how "whole" their bodies are. A walker that is freshly dead & mostly intact can move at a decent clip. One that's been dead for a while and is banged up might be slower.

as for the spoilery bits:
I think now that Carl can shoot a gun and Rick knows about Shane, it's a setup for Shane to die either in the midseason finale next week, or at the actual end of the season in late March or early April.

Sure, Michonne is a bit unrealistic, but I think they said in the comics that she was on her college fencing team, so that would explain her being good with a sword. Yes, I know a katana is different than an epee. I'd have to go back to the comics to re-read her intro. (BTW, the SyFy movie Zombie Apocalypse features a black woman who wields a katana and Ving Rhames wielding a big ass hammer)

Kzach

Banned
Banned
After yet another awesome episode, I feel the need to point out to everyone that there is a new TV series on MTV called "Death Valley". It's a zombie comedy horror that follows the "UTF" (Undead Task Force) of San Fernando in a mockumentary style (although they seem to be veering away from that lately). There have only been one or two duds so far in the whole first season and the latest three episodes have been so ridiculously awesome that it's now my favourite zombie TV show and kicks all kinds of ass over the Walking Dead.

If you're a zombie fan, you OWE it to yourself to check this series out.

Remove ads