Wand of Cu Light vs Wand of Vigor, Lesser

Nail

First Post
shilsen said:
As a DM, I actually prefer the PCs to be using Vigor spells and wands for out of combat healing since it needs no dice-rolling and saves game-session time.
Fixed that for you. :)

...and I completely agree. Less muss and fuss after combats, and no die rolling for the DM to waste time watching over.

Nail

First Post
Diirk said:
From a literal interpretation, anyway. There's no requirement in the augment healing feat that the spell you cast has to normally be able to heal damage... it simply needs to be a conjuration (healing) spell.

I disagree. Here's the text from CD:
AUGMENT HEALING [GENERAL]
Benefit: Add +2 points per spell level to the amount of damage healed by any Conjuration [Healing] spell that you cast.
The text strongly implies (even says!) that the spell must heal damage.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Nail said:
I disagree. Here's the text from CD:
The text strongly implies (even says!) that the spell must heal damage.
I agree with you that's almost certainly the intent, but "zero" is an "amount of damage."

Nail

First Post
Oooooooh. Got me there. :p

But: to have an "amount", must not you also have a "unit"? Zero, without a unit, is meaningless.

Nail

First Post
Just for giggles, here are all of the core Conjuration(healing) spells:
  • Cure Critical Wounds
    Cure Critical Wounds, Mass
    Cure Light Wounds
    Cure Light Wounds, Mass
    Cure Minor Wounds
    Cure Moderate Wounds
    Cure Moderate Wounds, Mass
    Cure Serious Wounds
    Cure Serious Wounds, Mass
    Delay Poison
    Heal
    Heal Mount
    Heal, Mass
    Neutralize Poison
    Raise Dead
    Regenerate
    Remove Blindness/Deafness
    Remove Disease
    Remove Paralysis
    Restoration
    Restoration, Greater
    Restoration, Lesser
    Resurrection
    True Resurrection

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Druids can also use the Vigor line of spells, in addition to Clerics. In our campaign, we have made it a Druid-exclusive spell, as it feels more Druid-like.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Nail said:
Oooooooh. Got me there. :p
I'm channeling Hypersmurf. (Although, oddly, he for once seems inclined against a hypersmurfic -- er, a hyperliteral reading. Adds credence to my theory that he's got a great deal of contrarian in him.)

But: to have an "amount", must not you also have a "unit"? Zero, without a unit, is meaningless.
I'm not sure I'm following you. Units of damage are always "1," even if you're thinking of ability damage. (Although in any case I can make a pretty airtight argument that "damage" is "hit point damage" unless explicit otherwise.)

BTW, can someone tell me where to find the feat in question, and what the prereqs are?

Jeff Wilder said:
I'm channeling Hypersmurf. (Although, oddly, he for once seems inclined against a hypersmurfic -- er, a hyperliteral reading. Adds credence to my theory that he's got a great deal of contrarian in him.)

Actually, I'm not sure if you're correct.

D&D most certainly treats "Does not apply" and "0" as different.

For instance, take a look at the Constitution score of Undead. Their Con score is not 0; it is N/A, meaning that an ability which provides a bonus or penalty to Con just doesn't affect them [fully].

Similarly, how much damage does a Fireball heal? The answer isn't 0; it's N/A. Fireball is not a spell that heals damage.

By extension, Lesser Vigor is not a spell that heals damage.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
D&D most certainly treats "Does not apply" and "0" as different.
Sure it does. I don't see your point, though.

Similarly, how much damage does a Fireball heal? The answer isn't 0; it's N/A. Fireball is not a spell that heals damage.
Again, I completely agree with you as to the intent of the feat; but a fireball quite literally heals zero damage. (Well, usually.)

Let me ask you this: how much Strength damage does an Augmented lesser restoration heal, minimum? Does it heal any HP damage?

Remove ads