• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warcraft RPG??

Impeesa

Explorer
How come whenever I ask about it I never get this kind of information? :( To echo Kobold Avenger... how much does it cover? I've long dreamed of running an epic campaign right from the opening of the dark portal right up to the burning legion invasion and beyond... Also, on a scale of Starcraft (Alternity) to Star Wars (d20), where would you guys put it in terms of being "done right." i.e. using the ruleset properly, keeping it balanced, and capturing the feel of the game without bending the system more than is necessary? I've been looking for this kind of information for ages.... thanks for anything you can share. :)

--Impeesa--

FDP Mike

First Post
Kobold Avenger: The "core" game is set in the world just after the end of events from Warcraft III, but you get a good grounding in the history leading up to the present time. It's the "Warcraft" RPG, not the "Warcraft III" RPG -- if that's clear. ;) From what I gather, expansions for Warcraft III are not taken into account for the core game; as you suggest, though, future releases might cover this material (I honestly do not know such information -- I'm just the editor :D ).

RedCliff: Thanks for the issue #. Yes, there's the article right there. Good piece, too, by the way!

kilamanjaro: I have no idea if Clifford's article was deemed "official" with regard to any future Warcraft RPG (the article is in the Sept. 2002 issue); it seems more like the usual Silicon Sorcery thing of designing some mechanics based on a computer game. Thus, the two PrC's that Clifford designed do not appear in the first Warcraft RPG book as they were presented in his Dragon article; the S&SS team involved different writers.

Impeesa: See my response to Kobold Avenger, above, for the timeline covered by the game. You could certainly run the sort of campaign you want (and it sounds like a fabulous idea!), I think, though the game does focus on the setting after the end of the Third War. You'll likely need the monster book to handle the Burning Legion, however. :) With regard to "being done right," as I wrote earlier, the game is the "Dungeons & Dragons Warcraft RPG" -- so you won't see tweaks to the d20 System on the level of Star Wars or Spycraft. Certainly, rules are added to express some of the unique and awesome elements of the setting, and the base D&D game is tailored to fit the Warcraft world more accurately (races, core classes, PrC's, feats, spells, skills, equipment, and such). The rules aren't necessarily "bent"; they're more "adjusted" and "expanded" to express the particular atmosphere and feel of the Warcraft setting as distinguished from your classic, basic D&D game. I feel like things were "done right," most definitely. It's just an awesome setting for D&D. Beyond this sort of vague information, I'm not sure how much more I can (legally) say .... My apologies!

Take care,
Mike

Impeesa

Explorer
Yay! Just had to make sure there, I loved Starcraft and Alternity, and I still have bad flashbacks about what happened when they met. ;)

--Impeesa--

JoeGKushner

First Post
So is this game more Everquest or more D&D? I like some of the elements of Everquest but by using different spell system, weapon speeds, no ECLs, and other elements, it's not exactly a "100% comptabile" thing.

Will a player be able to use a standard character in this game and will a Warcraft character mesh with standard D&D?

Impeesa

Explorer
Well, to interpolate from what I've been told, it sounds closest to something like OA - a new setting, with new core classes, magic sytems for those classes, etc, but fully compatible with taking characters between that and D&D. At least, that's what I'm hoping. :)

--Impeesa--

MasterLich

First Post
I am just hoping that there are no Gnomes or Half-lings. For the love of god pleaz dont let them be in. Not that i dont like them, just the players that i play with are annoying with them.

Krug

Newshound
MasterLich said:
I am just hoping that there are no Gnomes or Half-lings. For the love of god pleaz dont let them be in. Not that i dont like them, just the players that i play with are annoying with them.

I don't think they have 'em, but they do have the Pandaren Brewmaster. :D

drunkenpanda.gif

GO PANDA GO!

FDP Mike

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
So is this game more Everquest or more D&D? I like some of the elements of Everquest but by using different spell system, weapon speeds, no ECLs, and other elements, it's not exactly a "100% comptabile" thing.

Will a player be able to use a standard character in this game and will a Warcraft character mesh with standard D&D?

Have no fears on this score, Joe: the game is "more D&D." EverQuest is an OGL game whereas Warcraft is an officially licensed D&D game. Impeesa's comparison to Oriental Adventures is a good one, actually.

With regard to your second question: yes, most certainly on both counts. The core classes, prestige classes, and races that are available in (or "suitable" to) a Warcraft game are a bit different from standard D&D. You can, though, easily "cross-pollenate" between Warcraft and standard D&D; the core book even encourages doing so if you desire. :)

MasterLich: I'm not sure what I can legally say regarding gnomes and halflings. You may, though, be pleasantly surprised .... :D

Take care,
Mike

Remove ads