• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock and Sorcerer

Pelenor

Explorer
Looks like I'm coming up with something like Element of Magic for 5e wizards in my game. I plugged that into my 3.5 game with some tweaks and the little bit I saw it in use before the game ended I liked. Vancian magic and they way WotC implentents spell point usually doesn't do it for me. I'll give them a go but I don't expect I'll like them anymore than what came in the past.

Yora

Legend
When I said I wanted sorcerers to be 3.5e psions, I never imagined that this could be happening.
But it did, which makes me particularly happy. ^^

Though that dragon background really sucks. D8, heavy armor, and all martial weapons?

Yora

Legend
For my setting I want "freelance" witches and shrine-based shamans, who in addition to their normal spells can also call on the deity of their shrine or find some random spirit to strike a bargain with.
Now I'm quite confident that I'll be able to rig something up just reshuffling content from the PHB.

Well, it would seem odd if there are "minor" and "lesser" invocations but no "major" ones... ;)

You know... That is a really good point! I don't know why I didn't think of that. And with that in mind, it wouldn't surprise me at all if "greater" invocations were in fact daily.

I'm kind of surprised that there isn't a major (daily) invocation by level 5. Not for balance reasons, but because I'd think every class should have all its major features in play by about 5th level. Maybe they just don't have any dailies ready for playtesting ATM.

Maybe. Or perhaps you "upgrade" lesser invocations into greater ones somehow?

And I'm glad to hear I'm not alone about cleric Domains!

Remathilis

Legend
I expect atleast 2 more levels of warlock powers

Least, Lesser, Greater, and Dark, if 3.5 Warlock is to be the model.

I like the fact they are a bit of a hybrid between 3.5's warlock and the 4e lock. Sorcerers getting spell points might take a bit of getting used to (I REALLY want a more wizardry bloodline so I can be a spell point user but not a battle mage).

So, at the moment we have...

Wizard: Vancian Memorization
Cleric: Spontaneous Caster
Sorcerer: Spell Point
Warlock: At-will and encounter magic

Wonder what the Druid and Bard (the only real casters left) will look like?

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
The warlock has some of the best flavor I have ever seen for a player class. And the mechanics evoke traditional/story magic very nicely.

I agree. I especially like the invocation side-effects that impact your role-playing (e.g. having to enunciate carefully after you take Baleful Utterance). I can't wait to see the star pact ones! ;)

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
As for the sorcerer - isn't it strictly better than a 5e evoker wizard, at least at even levels? He can cast just as many spells of the same level, plus he's way more flexible and has twice as many HP and wears plate armor. (The wizard does have a 1-2 point magic BAB advantage, which is important, but still.)

The wizard arcane traditions might help this a bit, but I'm thinking they'll have to cut down the spell points to make it work.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
As for the sorcerer - isn't it strictly better than a 5e evoker wizard, at least at even levels? He can cast just as many spells of the same level, plus he's way more flexible and has twice as many HP and wears plate armor. (The wizard does have a 1-2 point magic BAB advantage, which is important, but still.)

The wizard arcane traditions might help this a bit, but I'm thinking they'll have to cut down the spell points to make it work.
You are forgetting that a Wizard knows way more spells than the sorcerer can ever hope to learn.

Even a "suboptimal wizard" (Int +1 or less) will know 24 spells by 20th level by class advancement alone(assuming he also never ever increases Int), while all sorcerers can only know 21 at the same level regardless of everything else. A very uber optimized wizard will know as much as 93 by class advancement alone at that point. That sheer amount of startegical flexibility is a Huge advantage, if anything the sorcerer is finally getting the chance of even play. Also don't forget Wizards can ritual cast too, which the draconic sorcerer simply can't do.

Remove ads