• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock and Sorcerer

variant

Adventurer
I like the crunch and fluff of the sorcerer (haven't tested the balance), but I am not really a fan of draconic bloodline, never have been. I hope there are some ancient bloodlines for them that don't involve monsters.

I really like the warlock though.

Looking at this some more...

The dragon sorcerer is scary. He's as good at combat as a War cleric, straight up; and he can cast arcane spells in armor. Lots of them. Plus his nifty sorcerous powers. I'd like to see another bloodline to compare.

The sorcerer spell list is interesting. It's missing some spells I would have thought naturals, like Mage Hand and Thunder Wave. And if fey-bloodline sorcerers can't cast Ghost Sound, I'll be a little disappointed.

Personally, I think it makes much more sense for High Elves to be minor fey-bloodline sorcerers instead of minor wizards. I might just house-rule them to give a bonus to Cha instead of Int - fits the lore, too.

The warlock... Wow. Very impressive. I never really dug the warlock before (never saw the 4e version, though), but this has its appeal.

I sincerely hope that the 'Oak Princess' is only an example of a fey pact, I can certainly think of other possibilities.

Are all invocations open to all pacts, I wonder? Some of them might seem a little out of place - I mean, "Visage of the Summer Court" is very fey-themed, it's a little hard to imagine a devil granting that, at least with that name. And speaking of, that mass charm has no hit-point threshold. Typo?

Ritual casting, too. Question: If you have a multiclassed warlock/wizard, let's say - do the spells you've learned as a warlock count as spells in your wizard spellbook for preparation? It would seem reasonable, though two of the warlock spells are from the cleric list. Maybe only spells shared by the two lists can be prepared by a wizard?

Exactly. The number 1 selling point of 5e should be its hackability. And making elves more warlocks than wizards makes perfect sense to me.

Yep. Though I was thinking of fey-bloodline sorcerers, fey-pact warlocks could work too. (In which case you're right back to Int.)

For some reason, I see gnomes being attracted to the warlock class - something about the forbidden lore and the hidden secrets. If there's an illusion-heavy pact, I might just be intrigued enough to try it out.

On Puget Sound

First Post
Can anyone clarify how Dragon Breath is to be used? Dragon Strength is the level 1 power, Dragon Scales at level 4 - is Breath a level 7 or 8 power?

Also, the level 3 Pact Boon (disadvantage on an attack) does not cost a favor?

Can anyone clarify how Dragon Breath is to be used? Dragon Strength is the level 1 power, Dragon Scales at level 4 - is Breath a level 7 or 8 power?

I don't think it is supposed to be used at levels 1-5 at all. I think it was left in by mistake.

Also, the level 3 Pact Boon (disadvantage on an attack) does not cost a favor?

I really hope that's a typo. Free disadvantage on attackers against you every round would be a bit much.

EDIT: Question: Do invocations count as spells for purposes of qualifying for specialties like Necromancer? If they do, how would you even know which invocations qualified for the Aura of Souls boost? And yet, necromancer warlocks make All Kinds Of Sense.

EDIT: Duh. The ritual spells would qualify even if the invocations don't. Still, it's not easy to see what benefit they would get out of Aura of Souls, as I doubt there's very many ritual necromantic spells. Maybe Aura of Souls needs to be broadened a bit, so that warlocks and high-elves can get more out of it.

Last edited:

Remove ads