Warlock and Sorcerer

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Which ever class gets spellpoints, I hope they price the point costs by spell effect rather than by spell level.

Oh please finally they've never done this in DND and they really need to...

I won't even complain about sorc and psion being too similar if they do this on both, I'll be happy.

Teataine

Explorer
EDIT: deleted some needless confrontational stuff

Ontopic...The sheet shown at the keynote say Intelligence is the prime ability for the Warlock (bound to disappoint some) and Charisma for Socerer (expected).

Warlocks get +1 to Int or Dex or Con. 6+Con HP. Proficient with light armour, basic and finesse weapons and some other stuff that's blurred out. No idea how their magic works but mike talks about "bargains", which might be just fluff.

Sorcerers get +1 to Cha or Con. Your HP and proficiencies are non-existant, but defined by your sorcerous origin (basically Bloodline from PF I guess).

Then comes the interesting thing. Sorcerers get:
-Willpower (3 at lvl 1, 4 at lvl 2)
-Spells known (2 at lvl 1, 3 and 4 at the next two levels)
-and then it's a bit blurred out but I'm confident it says Max Spell Level and it seems to be 1 for the first three levels

So I think it's a safe bet Sorcerers pick spells known (probably from the same list as the wizard), which can't exceed the Max Spell Level and then spend Willpower to cast those spells (whether it's 1 Willpower per spell or 1 Willpower per spell level remains to be seen).

Finally, if I let myself speculate a bit, maybe they will let you do other stuff with Willpower, like maybe raise the DC of a spell or convert it into damage dice for a sorcerous blast or something.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
A little back on topic, I really hope Sorcerers get to have spell slots instead of spell points, or failing that we get a premade array of spell points that emulate the feeling of having spell slots. My major concern is that spell points would threaten to make sorcerers a little too flexible, which in turn could mean they would get less "toys" on other areas different than simple spellcasting (like weapon proficiencies or bloodline powers).

If you don't believe me let's use the spell slots for a 3.5 4th level sorcerer as a comparison:
1st level - 6 slots
2nd level - 3 slots

such a sorcerer can cast a maximum of 9 spells per day, and is able to use some of the 2nd level spells for the casting of 1st level ones.

However an Unearthed Arcana sorcerer of the same level has 14 spell points, he can cast any combination of spells which goes from casting more second level spells (4) to casting lots of first level ones (14). This sorcerer is capable of casting more spells than the slot one, not to mention the increased bookkeping that it needs.

bogmad

First Post
Hey, just saying, instead of guessing, the new classes are now in the playtest materials if you download them again...
At first glance, it looks like sorcerer is a "willpower points" system and warlock is AEDU.

Teataine

Explorer
Oh dang it, the could have put up a notice or sent a mail.

Downloading!

EDIT: The dragon sorcerer is sick. 1d8 hp. You can cast spells in armour, get +1 to attack and it's not at all hard to also gain +2 to melee dmg as you level up. Plus you can use one willpower for an additional 2d6 melee dmg.

They also obviously rushed this. There's a Dragon Breath power described, but it's not noted anywhere in the class in respect as to when you gain it or how often you can use it.

Last edited:

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Immediate Reaction!

I hate spell points. I hate them. This will be abused.
I hate gaining spell levels a level later, it's a crude 'fix'.
All armour, martial weapons, casting spells in armour, a decent attack bonus. You're better than a cleric.

Warlock is the encounter guy, I'm ok with this.
Very nice fluff on each power/benefit.
I hope imposing disadvantage as a reaction takes a favour and they forgot.
Eldritch Blast, 3d6 or 4d6 each hit - sorry Fighter, you had a good run at being good for a while there.

Teataine

Explorer
Yeah, they need to tone that damage down. That's a lot of damage for a 1st level at-will.

The mass charm twice per short rest is also pretty crazy.

Remove ads