• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock curse on a crit

boar

First Post
A friend of mine recently noticed an interesting difference in the wording of the Warlock's Curse and the Ranger's Quarry. For the curse:

You decide whether to apply the extra damage after making the damage roll.

By contrast, the quarry:

Once per round, you deal extra damage to your quarry.

On a crit, all damage not caused by the crit is maximized. Since the quarry is "extra damage," it is maximized. But since the curse applies AFTER the damage roll, it would seem that a warlock's curse isn't actually maximized on a crit. Here's the sequence of events:

1. You crit
2. You roll damage, which is maximized
3. AFTER the roll, you have an opportunity to say, "I use my curse." Since the (maximized) damage roll has already happened, you have to roll your curse fair and square.

Is this correct? It runs contrary to what seems to be the prevailing opinion. If it's incorrect, why?

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
I think your order of operations is right. I always thought just the [W] got maximized, but I can't find a source for that right now.

Also, based on the Compendium, Hunter's Quarry and Warlock's Curse have pretty much the same wording now. I assume the errata document says the same thing, but I didn't look.

DracoSuave

First Post
Curse and Sneak Attack damage are maximized on a crit, even tho you assign those damages after damage is rolled. It is not extra critical damage, and therefore it is maximized like all non-critical damage. The order damage is assigned is not relevant, only that it is not extra damage that results from a critical.

babinro

First Post
Curse and Sneak Attack damage are maximized on a crit, even tho you assign those damages after damage is rolled. It is not extra critical damage, and therefore it is maximized like all non-critical damage. The order damage is assigned is not relevant, only that it is not extra damage that results from a critical.

Exactly right, should you have a player that is also a half-orc...now is an ideal time to use Furious Assault as it to will be maximized on the critical. I'm sure there are several magical items that add damage that could be used after a hit is registered as well.

Remove ads