• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock Damage

pskben

First Post
What is the type of damage does the Eldricth Blast do?

I just started a new campaign and I decided to play a warlock. I did my homework before the first adventure felt good got into the first encounter hit with my blast and the DM ask what was the damage type, and I gave him a confused look. I looked in the book and all it states is “baleful magical energy” the DM and I talked about it and decided that we needed to put a damage type to it, we settled on bludgeoning. But I just wanted to check and see if there were any errata.

AbyssKnight

First Post
The damage is untyped magical damage. This means....

DR does not apply.
SR does apply (except if using the acid Eldritch Essense).
Energy Resistance does not apply (unless using an Eldritch Essence that specifies an energy type).

Personally, I don't see why you would "need" to assign a damage type to it.

Starbuck_II

First Post
What is the type of damage does the Eldricth Blast do?

I just started a new campaign and I decided to play a warlock. I did my homework before the first adventure felt good got into the first encounter hit with my blast and the DM ask what was the damage type, and I gave him a confused look. I looked in the book and all it states is “baleful magical energy” the DM and I talked about it and decided that we needed to put a damage type to it, we settled on bludgeoning. But I just wanted to check and see if there were any errata.

It is untyped. It doesn't need a type.

burntgerbil

Explorer
Let me re-affirm that "untyped" not only IS a damage type, but a pretty darn good one - mostly for the reasons Abyssknight already specified.

Dandu

First Post
On a related note, I was never sure what to treat it as when using it to attack objects or other things with a hardness score.
There's a specific blast essence that allows the Warlock to do full damage to objects, from which we can extrapolate that the eldritch blast does not normally deal full damage to objects. Probably half damage.

frankthedm

First Post
Untyped energy damage was one of the main things EB has going for it. Now, i don't think it was a good idea to base a supplement introduced class around an attack that the system did not have before, but warlock isn't really a powerhouse class.

Remove ads