D&D General Warlock Great Old One

And the interesting questions are there: He says the influence/analogies were not intended and he did not support people reading them into the work. However, it is interesting that they are visible without much squinting all the same ...

... but when the author has told us they were not intended and are not a part of his work I find if disrespectful to look for it.

Beyond that, if you folks want more examples google "author misinterpreted angry" and look at some examples.
I think the author also has to respect that once the reader has bought a book, they are free to read it however they like. If you don't want people to interpret your writings, your only option is not to publish.

Saying that "the author meant X with this book", may be disrespectful, but stating that "The theme of this book is X, because..." is literary scholarship.

I think the author also has to respect that once the reader has bought a book, they are free to read it however they like. If you don't want people to interpret your writings, your only option is not to publish.

Saying that "the author meant X with this book", may be disrespectful, but stating that "The theme of this book is X, because..." is literary scholarship.
On the other hand this doesn't mean that the author doesn't have a valuable perspective on what they intended to do. But the fact they meant to do something doesn't mean they did it, doesn't mean they did their research, and doesn't mean that they aren't showing sides of themselves or their assumptions they never intended to.

The first two books of Larry Correia's Monster Hunter International series feature GOO's as the bad guys (and the creators of all the world's undead) and their main agent is basically a bladelock. He doesn't get much in the way of direct orders, but has to deal with weird prophesies, dreams, etc. I figure that gives the player (and DM) a lot of latitude without sacrificing an interesting warlock-patron relationship.

Although the Sisters of the Kaiju in Pacific Rim: The Black don't have a lot of warlock-y abilities, I think they represent the body horror element, but more of a "the patron changes the warlock to fits its needs" than a "I'm going to make you like pain" cenobite thing that you expect from a fiend patron.

Remove ads