• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock using DMG Spell point alternate from DMG p288-289

Does the point system variant scaled to pact slots break the intent of pact magic and/or make Warloc

• Yes, it breaks pact magic and makes Warlocks OP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, its still pretty limited

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Not sure, Don't care, or would only weigh in with some play testing

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Poll closed .

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
The way I read this variant it would basicly replace the entire spell slot system of pact magic with sorcerer metamagic.

However, if we wanted to allow some of the intent of the warlock pact spell slots recharging on a short rest with the point system with a new table like this:

lvl 1 (Max lvl 1 spells): 2 points
lvl 2 (Max lvl 1 spells): 4 points
lvl 3-4 (Max lvl 2 spells): 6 points
lvl 5-6 (Max lvl 3 spells): 10 points
lvl 7-8 (Max lvl 4 spells): 12 points
lvl 9-10 (Max lvl 5 spells): 14 points
lvl 11-16 (Max lvl 5 spells): 21 points
lvl 17-20 (Max lvl 5 spells): 28 points

Would it be too flexible despite roughly 2-105 point drop? This is of course just opinion, but I am curious what thought people have on it.

It might be interesting as a Pact of the Tome invocation activated variant... not sure.

Last edited:

Inglorin

Explorer
The Warlock class doesn't have the Spellcasting feature needed to use this option.

I don't think Warlock and spell points are a good match anyway.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
The Warlock class doesn't have the Spellcasting feature needed to use this option.

I don't think Warlock and spell points are a good match anyway.

Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I am aware that warlocks have "Pact Magic" instead of "Spellcasting" the point was to make a variant of the variant rule to preplace pact Magic instead. Using the alternate system other full casters have access too but adapting it to fit warlocks to give them a similar option. So the point system is far more flexible no matter which caster they are applied to.I enjoy the warlock class but they have 6 major weakness compared to other full caster and are not involved in the are sorcerer or wizards more powerful/flexible conversations because they are no where close. The three draw backs are:
1. Warlock's have fare fewer spell slots
2. Warlock's don't have lower spell slots a higher levels so using lower level spells becomes massive waste when the have 1-4 spells ever.
3. Warlock's can't up cast lower level spells above level 5 because they use Arcanum and never get spell slots higher than level 5
4. Warlock's only get 1 6th, 1 7th, 1 8th, and 1 9th Arcanum preventing any flexibly of options at those levels.
5. Warlock's can't down cast Arcanum to cast the 6th level Arcanum twice where it might be more useful than the 7th 8th or 9th Arcanum.
6. Warlock's can't reselect Arcanum if they realize they don't like the choice they made, where all other classes can re-pick change all the way up to 9th
Those simply are the disadvantages of the warlock design. My Opinion is that Eldritch invocations don't make up for that significant list of disadvantages. Using this system helps with #1 but only for low level spots the points are specifically aligned so that their highest spell slot is held at the same number of spell slots leaving none for lower spell slots. This means its Primarily about weakness #2. That being said, resolving 1 of 6 weakness the class has seems like a really good fix to me or I wouldn't have made the post. However, I can also understand people don't think this is the right approach. For example giving a subclass ability like:

Flexible Arcanum
Starting at 10th level, You also gain one Mystic Arcanum for a 5th level spell. On tip of that your Mystic Arcanum have are more flexible than the average warlock. You may cast spells you know using Mystic Arcanum for any spell you know or any Mystic Arcanum you know that is lower that the level of the spell you chose for the Mystic Arcanum as if cast using equivalent level spell slot.

This fixes weaknesses #3 and #5 granting the ability to up cast above level 5 and down to use 1 Mystic Arcanum twice between long rests. Perhaps this is a better change or perhaps both can be done still leaving #4, #6, and scaling points is so that the 5th level spell slots are still limited as per #1. I feel that the short rest mechanic is very niche and the fear of it is disproportionate to the reality. I have been playing a warlock for a while now and because no one else in the group wants short rests and the GM favors 1 combat a day its a basically on a nerf for me. However, if we had a terminate or multi combat dungeon it might be good however that only applies if the GM actually gives 1 hour breaks. The few dungeons we have had with our group that had multiple fights in a row were 10-30 minutes apart because no one else in the group cared and GM felt that a patrol could not go missing for an hour without someone checking on them. To my mind, their is a specific niche where warlocks are extremely powerful but if that happens it seems like they paid for that the rest of the time when they were not. So it should be fine. again. just my opinion. I am curious to see what other say. Perhaps someone has a better idea or a good argument against it I have not thought of.

Remove ads