• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock's Curse stacking THP & maybe BRV also

turk128

First Post
Someone pointed me to a very interesting ruling on the Warlock's Curse...

Original question...
"The PHB states that temporary HP does not stack unless from a single source, or unless stated otherwise. Dark One's Blessing, a Warlock's Curse ability states:

"You have the Dark One's Blessing pact boon. You instantly gain vitality from a cursed enemy when that enemy falls. When an enemy under your Warlock's Curse is reduced to 0 hit points or fewer, you immediately gain temporary hit points equal to your level."

In this case the wording of this power is not completely specific, and open to interpretation on whether or not a Warlock only gains temporary HP every time an enemy reaches 0 HP (even if more then one enemy under the Warlock's Curse is slain at the same time), or if the Warlock gains HP equal to his level for every enemy who reaches 0 HP when placed under a Warlock's Curse.

Since the Warlock's Curse for an Infernal Warlock is the Dark One's Blessing, a single source for the ability, it seems to lean towards the latter explanation: Any enemy slain under the Warlock's Curse gives the Warlock HP equal to his level, including multiple opponents slain at the same time or at later times, stacking continuously in this manner.

I am curious as too the decisive nature of the Dark One's Blessing, since my group has been opposed by another group whom state that the Dark One's Blessing would only offer temporary HP equal to the Warlock's Level for a single enemy, each time activated overriding the previous temporary HP instead of stacking. Any clarification would be wonderful."
Answer...
The temporary HP in the blessing stacks if all the sources are killed at the same time. If they are killed at separate times, the temporary hit points do not stack. Stacking from the same source only counts the source, at that same time. Separate instances that trigger the ability don't all stack together.

So in essence, you're both partly right.
So basically there is an instance where non-Vigor power THP can stack.

Which brings up the other THP hoarder; Battleragers. What if a BR activates multiple attacks of opportunities at the same time? Since the AoO are interrupts, would they resolve at the same time bringing up a situation similar to the Warlock's Curse above?

Oompa

First Post
I learned that no temp hp stacks, just take the highest value..

Farmer A and Farmer B are both killed with the same power, but their temp hp dont stack, cause farmer A and farmer B are both different sources..

turk128

First Post
Except for the above answer by Wizard's Customer Support saying it does stack in that instance. ("The temporary HP in the blessing stacks...")

Jack99

Adventurer
CS is known for not always being correct (that's the most polite version). Allowing THP to stack if they are giving at the same time is a really bad idea.

Sunglare

First Post
I thought Dark One's Blessing was very clear and only leads to one interpetation. When an enemy under a warlocks curse is slain the warlock gets Temp HP.

Now look under the Temp HP rules and it says they don't stack.

Of course CS anwsers are going to be screwy when people give them long winded questions and the question is "explained" in the questioners favor.
Why not simply ask the customers service; "If multiple creatures under the warlocks curse are slain at the same time to the Temp HP stack?"
Also you can clearly see that the customer service rep is considering the power that killed the creatures all at once as "the source." Which is incorrect, the sourse of the temp HP is the creature slain under a curse which does not happen at the same time. You determine a creatures hit and damage one at a time

GorTeX

First Post
Note that the PHB states that THP from different sources do not stack...but it says NOTHING at all about THP from the same source (the original question mistated the PHB in this regard).

WalterKovacs

First Post
Note that the PHB states that THP from different sources do not stack...but it says NOTHING at all about THP from the same source (the original question mistated the PHB in this regard).

However, the PHB says that ANYTHING from the same source does not stack, such as the feat bonus to initiative from quick draw and improved initiative not stacking. THP also has the added effect of not stacking from different sources either, it wasn't necessary to include the general rule of not stacking from the same source. [For example, the star pact's boon has to explicitly state it does stack until used, as under the existing rules, it wouldn't stack with itself.]

turk128

First Post
Yes, I understand that CS is not 100% but have yet to find an alternative to this. Even the CS says there's some grey in his answer ("So in essence, you're both partly right.")

Also you can clearly see that the customer service rep is considering the power that killed the creatures all at once as "the source." Which is incorrect, the sourse of the temp HP is the creature slain under a curse which does not happen at the same time. You determine a creatures hit and damage one at a time
From the wording, the CS seems to have considered it multiple instances triggering the boon at the same time.

This particularly comes down to the Rod of Corruption & Rod of Reaving combo vs minions. Basically, kill a cursed creature and destroy all minions within 5 squares of it. There's no hit determination since it's auto, ditto damage. Everything happens with that one action at the same time.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
To be honest, I've found that the simplest solution is to say "Temp hp never stack, ever". This is simple to remember, covers 99% of all cases perfectly and can't be abused.

Cheers

Solodan

First Post
This is pretty simple.

You have 10 guys cursed, they all die in a big SIMULTANEOUS explosion (say, a wizzie fireball). How many THP do you get?

Since it all happens AT THE SAME TIME, i have no problem with it adding together as one effect, which it seems is the customer service response.

Anything else, does not stack. Ever. This isn't even really stacking, though we can get technical and split hairs. I consider a stacking meaing two seperate occurances adding together. One Area Burst to me is a single occurance, even if there are multiple dice rolls involved. Attacks with secondary attacks, in my opinion, don't add up either. But that is also getting technical.

EDIT: On second thought, that is too complicated, too confusing and might even be too powerful. I'd just go with nothing stacks ever for simplicity. And let the battlerager figure out their situation.

Last edited:

Remove ads