• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Was D&D the first RPG?

Eternalknight

First Post
A person I know and I had a discussion recently about 'the first ever RPG'. I said it was D&D. He said there were some before D&D, but D&D 'got it right'. As I was not around back then, I put it some more knowledgable folks:

Was D&D the first ever RPG?

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Eternalknight said:
A person I know and I had a discussion recently about 'the first ever RPG'. I said it was D&D. He said there were some before D&D, but D&D 'got it right'. As I was not around back then, I put it some more knowledgable folks:

Was D&D the first ever RPG?

You could quibble and argue about Chainmail (not the most recently released rules for that), or really any wargame (HG Well's Little War or Fritz Leiber's homemade Lanhkmar game)where you had individual units instead of squads and up (because you could then claim 'It was marked as Wellington, so I made it go where I thought Wellington would go'), but D&D was the first thing that could be called a role-playing game.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
DungeonmasterCal said:
I seem to remember a dice-less rpg called "Pretend".......
That was totally unbalanced. I wouldn't even call it a roleplaying game. ;)

Remove ads