• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Water Management? :)

So :) I made the mistake of pointing out to my DM that PCs actually need more water per day than there is in a Waterskin :) And so, the DM has decided that as soon as the current story is done, we have to manage our resources (as in, everything) :)

Now then :) With my character prepared for (5 weeks in advance . . .), I have everything in check except for water :) So this be were I ask "how do you manage water?" :)

Our DM is very much the kind to have Villages/Towns that aren't connected to streams/rivers/the ocean and the rest of my party never adopts any kind of survival skills :)
(Seriously, I, a Wizard had to go hunting for the party in a 'Swamp' occupied by a Night Hag and various undead monsters, "Alone" cause no one else knew how to hunt)

He might be already. I treat the world as a simulation as well, so its easy.

He does things more along the lines of a "comic" :) In other words, time last longer the more I or other people do but this means that passive tasks have a jaunty sense of time :)
Because of this, I have actually had to manage my character's own time (without a date or a time to work with) by frequently asking as to how much time has passed for the "Vile Book of Darkness"/"The Book Of Vecna" which requires the player to read it for a total of 80hrs ontop of its attunement in order to gain the full POWER of it :)

Not so surprisingly, he was upset to find out that my character was only halfway through the book (43hrs to be precise) as he set the "war" into motion and because of that, I don't actually have the "evil magics" he expected me to have to take on the "Necrodragon", "Army of Snake People", "Trio of SUPER Powered Hags", "Long lost Warrior of the Damned" with and ontop of that, he's upset that I haven't been "role playing" because of it which is very ironic as my character is acting out (always) in the interest of "all life" and "the future generations" by trying to gain powers which as far as she can tell is decaying her :) She otherwise doesn't recieve any appreciation for the good things she has done since she is a "Necromancer" (a very ethical/morally good one at that) and because of the introduction of numerous "religious" and "Anti-Vecna" characters, she essentually has a Gun, Sword, Great Axe and fanatical Cults pointed at her head which in my opinion doesn't make a Tiefling very sociable when they (NPC and PC) talk about her as a "she" or "girl" either in whispers or right infront of her :)

Anyway :) I be asking more along the lines of "How do you manage water?" as in "how do you preferably store it", "how do you transport it?" and "how do you manage it amongst your party?" :)

cmad1977

Hero
The only thing I find more fun that water management is simulating waste elimination.
I mean what do you do with all that fecal matter? Does everyone carry a shovel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccs

41st lv DM
Anyway :) I be asking more along the lines of "How do you manage water?" as in "how do you preferably store it", "how do you transport it?" and "how do you manage it amongst your party?" :)

You get a mule & a small wagon/cart. (the cart is useful for plenty of other things as well)
You equip it with enough water barrels to accommodate the entire party (+the mule) for 1 week.
You rely upon the DM to tell you when a day has passed.
Then you just make a check mark against the water total.
Any time you get the chance? You refill the water barrels & erase any check marks.

Xeviat

Hero
The Survival skill or a Cleric or Druid take care of your water needs. As does refilling your water skin. Where are the monsters getting water? You get it from the same place. The watering hole is dangerous. Instant hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Go on google maps. Find a country that matches your mental idea of the area for your D&D campaign. Zoom the map until it covers ~24 miles, the distance you travel in a day.

Note that unless the area you have chosen is what most people would describe as "desert", "wasteland" or "barren", then you probably had to cross a dozen rivers. Even in those situations, all the major settlements will be nearby water, and most of the roads will follow watercourses.

So, long story short, if your DM tells you "you run out of water" and he didn't describe you as travelling cross-country in a barren wasteland or desert, call :):):):):):):):).

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
There is another good thread on this:

I posted a detailed post on my approach here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...hirst)/page3&p=7074305&viewfull=1#post7074305

The TLDR version:

Fun trumps. Assume the adventurers are the hardy survivalists that they are supposed to be and that they somehow manage when it is not central to the story.

Occasionally, however, it can be fun to have a resource-management challenge, and water is one of them.

Survival skill checks that fail, should not be limited to: you find no water, your are dehydrating. You may find water but not properly boil it and get giardia. Perhaps the only food you find is carion and you get sick from it.

Water is heavy. Anyone who has done seriously long back-packing trecks knows you are not carrying all the water you will need for the entire trip on your back. You need to plan your route around water management concerns. But if that is just going to come down to a DM making your roll a few gratuitous survival rolls, why bother at all. Assume your ranger who is proficient in survival knows his bush skills 101.

More interesting is to have a map. Show where the water is. The streams, area of pasture, lakes. But that is in the low lands. It will take longer and is more dangerous because thats where the orc villages are located and the patrols then to be heaviest. There are some short cuts over rough mountain terrain but water will be harder to come by. Going through a desert? Here is a map with the locations of the oases in the area. Something any caravan leader could sell to the party. But it is also much more likely you will run into adversaries there. It will make it harder for you to sneak through this foreign land to the forbidden temple. How many oases do you risk visiting? How much travel over the desert without replenishing your water supplies will you risk?

Of course, create water is a 1st level cleric spell. So the challenge isn't that difficult to solve, but the cleric will need to prepare that spell over another and will have to use up spell slots to create enough water for the entire party. It would be a pity to be attacked RIGHT after having spent your spell slots on filling water containers. "Sorry, I can't heal you until after a long rest. Uh, have some water?"

Remove ads