• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Water Management? :)

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
So :) I made the mistake of pointing out to my DM that PCs actually need more water per day than there is in a Waterskin :) And so, the DM has decided that as soon as the current story is done, we have to manage our resources (as in, everything) :)

Now then :) With my character prepared for (5 weeks in advance . . .), I have everything in check except for water :) So this be were I ask "how do you manage water?" :)

Our DM is very much the kind to have Villages/Towns that aren't connected to streams/rivers/the ocean and the rest of my party never adopts any kind of survival skills :)
(Seriously, I, a Wizard had to go hunting for the party in a 'Swamp' occupied by a Night Hag and various undead monsters, "Alone" cause no one else knew how to hunt)

Do you typically have problems because other persons in your D&D group have poisonous personalities?
If so, you should carefully review how you pick your friends. Something is wrong here.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
AS a DM, here's how I enforce water and management of other consumables:

1. I find out if my table wants the extra bookkeeping dealing with minutia for the added sense of realism.

Um, I've never had to get to step 2, I'm still sketchy on it.

This doesn't mean I won't have a particular adventure where water or arrows or something will likely be in short supply and we track, but that's for dramatic tension and to set goals for a specific time when whatever is scarce.

Do you typically have problems because other persons in your D&D group have poisonous personalities?
If so, you should carefully review how you pick your friends. Something is wrong here.

They are honestly not poisonous players :) Its just that I'm new to the group, they don't RP much which leads them to discuss decisions amongst themselves as my character becomes the central topic of "should we allow this person to raise the dead" instead of RPing a discussion because they just like to play Battlemasters with various morals and religious aspects to them and not once do they think they could just ask my character as to how Necromancy works which they should definitely be able to do as my character has saved their lives on multiple occasions

e.g. Stopped a guy from drowning in plate Armour after he fell into the ocean by using Alter Self to turn into a fish/tiefling hybrid and using said gills and fins to process water into breathable air for him whilst also steering him away from debris :) I definitely do not consider this a "normal daily act" and my character didn't even get a thank you :)

schnee

First Post
AS a DM, here's how I enforce water and management of other consumables:

1. I find out if my table wants the extra bookkeeping dealing with minutia for the added sense of realism.

Um, I've never had to get to step 2, I'm still sketchy on it.

This doesn't mean I won't have a particular adventure where water or arrows or something will likely be in short supply and we track, but that's for dramatic tension and to set goals for a specific time when whatever is scarce.

Yeah, for what I said to the other poster, this is how we do it.

For travels in relatively civilized areas, we figure it's just part of the regular grind. Watering holes and streams along the way, our Outlander doing his thing, stuff like that.

For long hauls in unknown areas, we'll call it out as a thing to plan for, and then to the equipment mini-game then.

aco175

Legend
Typically my players are in a town at least once per week. I just tell them to cross off a few to several gold above what they spend on food and lodging to cover things like water, rations, arrows, polishing armor, new socks, etc...

transtemporal

Explorer
So this be were I ask "how do you manage water?" [/I]

You :) are disturbingly :) free with smiley :) faces. :) lol

Our group doesn't really worry about this in civilised regions and even in wilderness, there's usually someone with survival skill who can forage. However, if they're in wilderness and there's no one proficient in survival... well, then we got ourselves a survival game!

And this can go bad quite quickly. Years ago in my Dark Sun campaign, the party decided to strike off the road to find one of the tombs in the Great Alluvial Wastes, got lost, realised they had no wilderness classes and TPKed within a week. Or almost TPKed, I think the thief survived.

thethain

First Post
Its kinda Micro Managing. Not really fun for many. Especially when 1 background specifically allows you to find fresh water for up to 6 people a day without so much as an ability check. As well as Create water level 1 spell. Or the fact Goodberry "provides enough nourishment to sustain a creature for one day." semantics could be argued that water isn't nourishment, but most interpretations would mean it would prevent you from dehydrating.

In short, hero's have more important things to worry about than water unless they are in the middle of a desert with no access to magic.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Its funny that you would mention the Outlander background :) Its what I gave my Wizard due to her odd origins and nomad lifestyle :) The thing is though, is that my DM doesn't "get it" :)

Me: "I rolled a 27"
DM: "After hours of searching, You can only find this 1 rotting dear corpse in this vast wildlife. It also looks very thin"
Me: "Fine, I roll again. 28!"
DM: "You find some Mushrooms, you don't know if they are edible. Also a thing stole your book."

Something I've found helpful when this sort of thing happens is asking the DM to set the stakes up front.

"Hey, I want to hunt for us all. What type of DC would I need?"

On the other hand, Outlander doesn't even require a roll, so your DM really doesn't get it. Is he the sort where a gentle reminder would be useful?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Create water?
Create food and water?
Wanderer feature?
Survival proficiency?
Decanter of endless water?
A keg of water in a bag of holding?

G

Guest 6801328

To be really accurate you also need to track bathroom breaks, and have the heroes describe how they dispose of their waste, using a Wisdom (Survival) or Intelligence (Nature) roll if necessary. If they fail to do this carefully all sorts of random monsters will be able to follow their spoor. True story.

I'm still putting the finishing touches on my homebrew for dental hygiene and tooth decay rules. It includes new equipment, Feats, and spells, and the dreaded Gingivitis condition.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads