Waterdeep?

Woodrow Blake

First Post
With the talk of the new characters and what not I kinda got to thinking. This could also be a chance to use the other planes, Like the Bazaar and the Rotunda. So not only could we try different alignments, we could also try new characters outside of the Tavern's guidelines. And perhaps some of those neglected characters could get some play.

reapertain

First Post
Such an idea would not hurt, suffice to say. Considering there are some characters I use that are, for a lack of better terms, "restricted" from popular appearance in the Tavern and its partnered rooms (Garden and Clearing). Alignment is one way to portray an interesting character, of course, and enjoy roleplaying their particular views through interaction(or in blutness let us simply say "fighting" if that suits some better:) ) of other characters from the opposite side of the spectrum. However, why not add a little color to the fray if unusual humanoids or outsiders were portrayed in the other realms as well.

For example, the Great Bazaar, being in Sigil, boasts the claim that this little plane of doorways to other realms serves as a crossroads to planes both known and unfamiliar, yet it seems we really have not taken the opportunity to do so (i.e. rping with creatures or characters from said unfamilair plane).

The Rotunda in Waterdeep, hosting both the "rumors" of being relativley near Underdark access as well as being a trade capital for Faerun campaigns under its belt, rarely has more than the common Calimshan or the less common Drow in hiding, when beings from far deeper dwellings or more outrageous regions could occupy the tables.

And where are the mutants in TMP? After the whole incidant with the brain eater, the place has been a bit empty, save for once every few nights (perhaps I need to rp more often if such is no longer the case).

And as for the Cage, I know not enough of it to say anything concerning its use, though unusual characters have frequented it once or twice since I last looked into it.

Forgive me if any of this sounded arrogant and long-winded...its amazing what those who are ill can do in times of boredom. But I suppose my vague and taken-far-off-the-subject point was that we should also get some play out of these neglected chatrooms too with said characters.

Lince'sa

First Post
The Problem:

I would LOVE to see the other rooms get used, the problem seems to be everyone has popular characters in tavern. and don't want to start all over again in a new room with new people. While the characters are always meeting new people, the they are meeting the same new people everytime. so the player knows "my character will get along well with so and so, would LOVE to get into a fight with such and such, and needs to be part of this group or that. if we WERE going to make characters for the other rooms we'd have to ALL agree to keep them there, regardless of who else is where. we can't move our characters to the CRT just because we know someone there. it means we need to keep them in Sigil or Waterdeep when there is NO one else in the room. It means we need to make characters that are socialble or openly hostle, otherwise we get two people in a room drinking coffee and reading to themselves. It means if we see someone in one of rooms we should leave our popularity behind and GO to them.

How many people have made new characters and tried to play them in one of the other rooms? you always end up in the tavern because that's where the people are, and once you're there you don't leave because that's where the people. the other rooms are little more than quiet rooms since there are no private ones. If you go to the bazzar, you find the cafe, sit and have a drink. if you go to the rotunda, you find the food court with the golem and eat. Cage, the "Battle Tavern" designed to be a room for the antisocial to kill eachother WHILE they drink, usually is full of people who just drink, and they'd better like alcohol. And, unless they've gone there with someone, they usually do it alone, until someone else comes over and talks to them.

The Cage, people said, was supposed to be more popular than the CRT. but it's not. Why? is the look? maybe, is it the menu? who knows? is it the lack of people leaving the CRT to go there? Yup.

So if we are going to use the other rooms, everyone involved needs to agree to leave the tavern behind and not go there at all.

Khaira

First Post
THere are a few who do use the Rotunda. Myself being one of them. Usually I end up sitting by myself in the Rotunda with a Faerunian character, but every now and then there are others who join me (or vice versa).

Example the first would be the other night, last week, when Ruthia, Khaira, Evander (another character of mine), Jea Jea, and Scion-Ur had some good interactions. There's good opportunity for development, too - with Skullport and Undermountain being close by, in addition to the presence of Harpers, Red Wizards, a small smattering of Zhentarim, and the Unseen (doppelganger power group), and the trade opportunities, as has been mentioned before, it can be MADE an exciting setting.

... more than 3 people have to take an active effort to make it work, though. C'mon, folks - the Rotunda awaits! :D

Ruthia

First Post
I'd like to see more activity that way too. I have several characters who live in Waterdeep...mostly to keep an eye on a certian red haired Bard I know....*snickers* Hopefully some more people will join and we can have more fun

rucaro

First Post
So we all know that there are many "popular" chars in the tavern. But many of these chars could visit be from the other rooms. I suggest listing the names of Chars who are in the other rooms, and/or storylines with opening in the other rooms.

Lord Magnus

First Post
rucaro said:
So we all know that there are many "popular" chars in the tavern. But many of these chars could visit be from the other rooms. I suggest listing the names of Chars who are in the other rooms, and/or storylines with opening in the other rooms.

Unfortunately, a character that is from another room is from another setting. Since the rooms are in different settings, that suggests that characters are then plane jumping. And, let's face it: not every character is going to have the knowledge of the other planes, much less the means to plane shift.

Alek

First Post
reapertain said:
After the whole incidant with the brain eater, the place has been a bit empty, save for once every few nights

ONE person gets their brain eaten and the night club gets a bad rep? what is the world coming to?

Sienna_Rose

First Post
People hang in the tavern because that's where the people are, yes. Not necessarily because they see someone they know or any of that.

As far as not that many people plane jumping - lots of people seem to plane jump all around. It might not be something regular people will do, but, it does seem to be something a lot of the characters on ISRP think absolutely nothing of. Which is fine.
Of course, that could lead to another element - why not try a character who doesn't plane jump?

For myself, I tend not to go into the other rooms because of the setting *knowledge*. I tried going in Rotunda - couldn't even talk to anyone because I don't know enough about the Forgotten Realms settings. I'm not saying people were being nasty or anything, it's just rather difficult to try to talk to someone when you don't have any reference. CRT is *full* of people from elsewhere - a carry over from long ago - which means that it's possible to converse without getting lost and feeling like a fool. I think it's great that people can go into the Rotunda and feel like their char really is in Faerun, but, that's not so great for people like me who haven't read the books. *shrug*

Remove ads