Waterdeep?

Venisad

First Post
Sienna_Rose said:
I'm not saying people were being nasty or anything, it's just rather difficult to try to talk to someone when you don't have any reference. CRT is *full* of people from elsewhere - a carry over from long ago - which means that it's possible to converse without getting lost and feeling like a fool.

I have modified the part, by underlining them, that I think should be addressed

These are the main reasons, that I think, why people don't make new characters or want to to try new settings.

Its fear.

Some may say otherwise, but thats only words.

"It is easier to say than to do."

But those are the two main things that make for a good time, you have something to talk about and a great way (or bad way) to break the ice.

Of course you could make a new character and call every one a "flesh bag", it gets attention, some good some bad.

But "feeling lost" or "looking like a fool", is, what I believe to be, the main reason why people do not want to make new characters or try new areas.

I know that there are other reasons that are up on the list of "Why...", such as "My character is old and is familiar.." or "I'm too lazy.. (which shouldn't matter but does)" or "..Well, since no one is there I'll just go to where the people are...".

It all goes back to an underlying theme I believe.. FEAR ..some may agree or disagree with that, that's all fine.

----

With the heading of "Waterdeep?" I wasn't sure if this was just a reincarnation of other threads of similar themes of the contents...

It seems that it is, but no matter how much people talk about it, there is no (or extremely limited) action to do anything about it.

Though I must be sounding like a broken record or squeaky hinge...

----

I know I am guilty of a few things that I have said, I even made a mistake with one character ( maybe a few more than just one), but one character of mine cannot plane jump and yet he ended up in a different setting.

I have one character or rather a few (though they haven't been on in a while) that are frequently jumping planes to get a little more diversity for rooms and areas.

I myself as a person dislike (not hate or loathe, simply dislike) Forgotten Realms setting in actual play for personal reasons (such as: why bother with all of the high level npcs already in place, no room for expansion ((if there is its no uniform enough to be brought here)), and everything is ((or seems to be, to me)) vastly over powered compared to other settings).

I haven't tried the TMP so I can't form an opinion of that area.

I like the cage (the Baazar is okay), but its hardly used, for reasons probably descibed above.

The CRT/Garden/Clearing is the most common area to be in, why, its been described already. Though I have been making it a point to (at least try) stay out of the tavern (I've been doing well at that).

----

Well, I think thats it for my rant.. I hope I haven't left out any parts...

Have fun!

Khaira

First Post
Sienna_Rose said:
For myself, I tend not to go into the other rooms because of the setting *knowledge*. I tried going in Rotunda - couldn't even talk to anyone because I don't know enough about the Forgotten Realms settings. I'm not saying people were being nasty or anything, it's just rather difficult to try to talk to someone when you don't have any reference.

Yeah, I know it is difficult. And, for that reason, I have been working on a FR FAQ, so that people can have some sort of basis for knowledge. Even so, though, a person shouldn't have to be a FR junkie to play in the Rotunda. There's some basics of knowledge that are helpful, such as:

• Waterdeep is a HUGE metropolis, with opportunities for, more or less, anything.
    That means that you have your crime lords; you have you power groups, trying to take control of everything; you have your uppity nobles and noble houses, always attacking each other; you have your political battles, with people trying to get more and more political power; you have your subterranean horrific underground (Skullport), where drow, mindflayers, and worse monstrosities dwell close by, relatively speaking; you have enormous amounts of trade in the city; you have your slavers from aforementioned Skullport; you have the Council of anonymous Lords, trying to keep some semblance of order in the whole mess.
  • Waterdeep also has a huge harbor and, as one of the big[gest] trade cities, accepts people from all over the [un]known world.
    So take a character from the Arabian-influenced world of Zakhara; take a rough and tumble Ranger; take a nautical buckler of swashes. Take somebody from halfway across the world for a visit to Waterdeep.
  1. Someone involved with a crime ring
  2. A slver
  3. One of said monstrocities from that subterranean city (aka the Underdark)
  4. A ship captain
  5. Someone serving on a ship
  6. A noble who doesn't understand the petty nature of the lower classes.
  7. An indentured servant who is disgusted with noble rivalries
  8. A merchant man
  9. An anything-else-you-can-think-of, because it'll probably fit in!

Sienna_Rose

First Post
Venisad said:
I have modified the part, by underlining them, that I think should be addressed

These are the main reasons, that I think, why people don't make new characters or want to to try new settings.

Its fear.

It all goes back to an underlying theme I believe.. FEAR ..some may agree or disagree with that, that's all fine.
I've modified to get to the parts I want to comment on.
There may be some who fear to try new things, yes. But, in this case, it was pure, simple annoyance. I got the impression of "How dare you enter here without knowing what you're talking about?" I come to ISRP to have fun and relax. Not be given the impression that I must study in order to even enter a room.

Venisad said:
But those are the two main things that make for a good time, you have something to talk about and a great way (or bad way) to break the ice.

The character was a bard - *classic* ice breaker. Typical bard, she'd talk to anyone.

[/QUOTE=Khaira]Yeah, I know it is difficult. And, for that reason, I have been working on a FR FAQ, so that people can have some sort of basis for knowledge. Even so, though, a person shouldn't have to be a FR junkie to play in the Rotunda. [/QUOTE]

Exactly. We shouldn't have to be, but, that's the impression I was given.

It has been mentioned how much it feels like actually being in Faerun, and for that feeling, the players really do need to know their stuff. I'm not out to ruin anyone else's fun. I'm just pointing out one of the reasons some might not play in the Rotunda.

A FAQ would be great. I was given a site to visit, but, it had so much info, it wasn't helpful, because I needed to know what I was looking at before I could make heads or tales of it. And I'm lazy. ;)

Magi_Trelian

First Post
Khaira said:
[/list]
  1. Someone involved with a crime ring
  2. A slver
  3. One of said monstrocities from that subterranean city (aka the Underdark)
  4. A ship captain
  5. Someone serving on a ship
  6. A noble who doesn't understand the petty nature of the lower classes.
  7. An indentured servant who is disgusted with noble rivalries
  8. A merchant man
  9. An anything-else-you-can-think-of, because it'll probably fit in!

If #2 is "slaver" please remember this from the Code of Conduct:

...no torture or cruelty such as found in slavery situations, no enactments of slavery or the process of enslaving someone.

In other words, you can claim to be a slaver but you can't have any other char on who is noted as being your slave and you can't turn someone into a slave. (This type of scenario got severely abused back in older days of ISRP.)

For more explicit FR info, Waterdeep doesn't allow slavery either. However, Waterdeep has a literal underworld, a second city built in the caverns beneath, that's called "Skullport" and where slavery and every other vice can be found pretty openly. Just not openly on ISRP, please!

Additional info: the CrossRoads Tavern is known to have hidden and not-so-hidden portals and gates to other realms. The ones to Juxta were closed off when ISRP left Wizards of the Coast, but other portals are still around. Portals are well known as part of the official Forgotten Realms campaign setting, so there should be little trouble with claiming there's a known portal between the Rotunda (or someplace near it) and the Tavern even if you're playing by the book. The official version of the Sigil campaign setting says portals aren't allowed as a means in and out of the City, but for us it's fine to say you've found a portal between the Tavern and the Great Bazaar.

We encourage frequent use of ALL the rooms much more than adherance to D&D specifics. If you're complying with the setting restrictions listed here in ISRP, don't worry about being totally true to the rest of the connotations of the D&D campaign info. The choices of room description were meant for flavour, not to force any one system down your throat.

Khaira

First Post
Sienna_Rose said:
Khaira said:
Yeah, I know it is difficult. And, for that reason, I have been working on a FR FAQ, so that people can have some sort of basis for knowledge. Even so, though, a person shouldn't have to be a FR junkie to play in the Rotunda.

Exactly. We shouldn't have to be, but, that's the impression I was given.

It has been mentioned how much it feels like actually being in Faerun, and for that feeling, the players really do need to know their stuff. I'm not out to ruin anyone else's fun. I'm just pointing out one of the reasons some might not play in the Rotunda.

A FAQ would be great. I was given a site to visit, but, it had so much info, it wasn't helpful, because I needed to know what I was looking at before I could make heads or tales of it. And I'm lazy. ;)

You're absolutely right, and there's no excuse I could give that could possibly pardon such a reaction. I don't know the details of your visit, so I can't extensively comment on it. However, if it were me, as a new person, I would attempt to explain my position, politely. If they were still being rude and xenophobic, I would note the time, date, and the room, and report it to the Magi. Granted, they may not be able to do anything "official" about it, but I'm sure it would help to deal with such issues in the future.

As far as I'm concerned, such actions gravely go against all that ISRP should stand for, and should be nipped in the bud immediately. That's just my opinion, however; the Magi may have other thoughts on the matter.

And, yes, I am working on a Forgotten Realms FAQ - though, unfortunately, it is nowhere near completion. I'm way too long-winded, but I am working on it.

In other words, you can claim to be a slaver but you can't have any other char on who is noted as being your slave and you can't turn someone into a slave. (This type of scenario got severely abused back in older days of ISRP.)

Right. I'm not trying to condone such rule-breaking behavior. Much like those who may be associated with over evil organizations (Red Wizards, Zhentarim, etc) or good organizations (Harpers, Moonstars, etc), I am implying that one doesn't necessarily have to be actively promoting the interests of said organizations. Simply another avenue of descriptive character description or dialogue.

Last edited:

Well, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the popular characters lol...I suppose I just don't own on *shrugs* but recently I've been having a few charries in those rooms now...and I can always bring more in. I'll try and RP there more often for all of ya!

Kallikrates

First Post
I agree the Rotunda, the Cage, and the Bazaar need to be used more.

I suppose I should shift Barrak, Kallikrates, and Kakatios over to the Bazaar since their true forms are suspect to probably posing a distraction in the CRT.

Elf_Ariel

First Post
I'm afraid of said rooms...Heh, that's all there is to it. I understand the CRT setting so I fit in well there. But the others... Someone come and tutor me!

Jeajea

First Post
Okay, so... anyone who wants to (Elf Ariel for example?) can feel free to find me, either while I'm onsite or on MSN or via email, and ask me about the Rotuna / Faerun setting. I'm reasonably passable at it.

Elf_Ariel

First Post
I think I nag enough as it is Jea. On the other hand I could just acquire some spare time from....somewhere....and do a little bit of study. Perhaps what we really need, is a site-list or online compilation of setting nitty gritty that folks like me can read at their leisure. Heh, I remember back in the days, that the Juxta setting had about 10 pages worth of stuff that I read up on and after doing so could comfortably fit into that environment. Mind you, someone had to find the time to write all that up, so I understand it's not an easy thing to put together. Then there's the whole multitude of differing oppinions on exactly what a setting's like and yadda yadda yadda. I'll shut up now.

Remove ads