Waterdeep?

Khaira

First Post
Elf_Ariel said:
On the other hand I could just acquire some spare time from....somewhere....and do a little bit of study. Perhaps what we really need, is a site-list or online compilation of setting nitty gritty that folks like me can read at their leisure.

What do you mean by "nitty gritty" exactly? A FAQ or something more than a FAQ?

And I must second Jea's statement: anybody can nag me about the Forgotten Realms setting. Responding to nagging is what I do best. ;)

Elf_Ariel

First Post
Both. I find having purely the 'overview' of what's hot and what's not in a setting is not enough to RP in it. Heh. I want history, prominent figures, ideals, religions...as well as information on the 'basic' people. We all play heroes, but I think we kinda forget there's a whole 'basic' part of the worlds we join into. Heh, sometimes understanding how the peasantry and whatnot work and think is the best way to understanding where your character has come from and is going to. Not all of us can start out as noble, or as merchant's children or whatever. But seriously, the basics wont go astray. Races, even a map! LOL. I personally need to start with the easy things and dig deeper until I'm happy enough in the knowledge that I can walk a character in and not have them appear out of place.

Jeajea

First Post
Another possibility might be to have a character who's been dumped in said plane and actually *doesn't* know anything about it, but is curious. Then you get to learn IC!

Just a thought.

Khaira

First Post
Elf_Ariel said:
I want history, prominent figures, ideals, religions...as well as information on the 'basic' people. We all play heroes, but I think we kinda forget there's a whole 'basic' part of the worlds we join into.

Your wish will soon be granted! Besides, those are very important details, and I'm hoping to be able to include all - or most - of that information in the FAQ. It's all a part of being a genuine part of the world.

Understand, too, though, that that's A LOT of information to cover. Even just the Waterdeep notables would be a rather extensive page. Maybe that's where the 10 pages thing will come into existence. :)

Magi_Nashira

Chaotic Lawkeeper
Let me know if you need help digging up Waterdeep info, Khaira! Also, the reconstruction/re-work of hte Rotunda is underway, my sister in law is re-mapping it with her amazing technical skills. I'm hoping it will shed some light on what the inside of the place looks like so that people can take more advantage of it. The place is huge, and therefore daunting, but I do hope to have it up in the near future.

Elf_Ariel

First Post
Khaira said:
Your wish will soon be granted! Besides, those are very important details, and I'm hoping to be able to include all - or most - of that information in the FAQ. It's all a part of being a genuine part of the world.

Understand, too, though, that that's A LOT of information to cover. Even just the Waterdeep notables would be a rather extensive page. Maybe that's where the 10 pages thing will come into existence. :)
You're my hero!/s Nashy & Jea inclusive!

Khaira

First Post
Magi_Nashira said:
Let me know if you need help digging up Waterdeep info, Khaira! Also, the reconstruction/re-work of hte Rotunda is underway, my sister in law is re-mapping it with her amazing technical skills.

Out of curiosity, what about getting a map of Waterdeep - or even just one of the Ward that the Rotunda is located in? Would that be too hard to get? It might be nice to have if, for nothing else, point of reference.

And, Nash, I have plenty of information ... heh, too much. I'm working off of the 3.5 edition of the City of Splendors and the 2nd edition sourcebook on Waterdeep. It's just a simple matter of finding the time to do it and putting it into a terminology that those not familiar with Forgotten Realms/Waterdeep can understand.

Oh, and by the way, I did send a tentative draft to your email last night. I hope it meets expectations! :)

Last edited:

Magi_Nashira

Chaotic Lawkeeper
Thank you Khaira, I'll have a looksee a bit later today. As far as a map of waterdeep goes, I'll also see what I can dig up, my sister in law has basically every FR book/map/accessory that WoTC ever put out so I'm sure I can dig something up!

Magi_Trelian

First Post
if you'd like a quick beginner's summary of Waterdeep (or almost any place or major NPC in Faerun or Oerth) you can always try Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterdeep_(city)

This article includes links to the "City of Splendors: Waterdeep Map Gallery" on Wizards of the Coast, which has the maps from the latest Waterdeep book, though unfortunately missing the annotations. I think the Rotunda is supposed to be at the bottom of the Dock Ward near the southern gate into the city, but Nash can confirm or deny it.

Remove ads