Watermark's Shackled City

Two-Gun Kid

First Post
Watching the others walk towards the church, Toskar's thoughts were troubled as he entered the bar. The few patrons in the Tankard only glanced at him for a moment before returning their gaze back to their mugs and their own affairs.

Standing next to the bar, Toskar leaned his club against the pitted oak and motioned for Shamus. While Shamus was only slightly taller than Toskar was, the dwarven bouncer somehow always felt taller than the slender bartender, and without meaning to do so, Toskar stared at the man as he came closer.

'He walkes like the weight of the world is threatening to crush him.'

"You alright Tosk? You took off running mighty fast, and now you come walking in like you seen a ghost."

Nodding his head simply, Toskar struggled to find his words.

"Some thugs had jumped a Cudgel, but after me and some other folks showed up, they lost their taste for the fight. Bullies tend to run yellow like that."

Shamus nodded his head like a grand sage. "Aye, that they do, but that ain't whats bugging you." Reaching underneath the bar as he spoke, Shamus brought up the small bottle of dwarven firewine the Tankard owned and with a smooth motion, unstoppered the bottle and poured a tumbler of the potent liquid. "On the house for helping out the Cudgels, even if they do bust our balls from time to time."

Toskar nodded his head in thanks as he took the glass, but paused as he raised it to his lips.

"Shamus, before Gryffon and Krylscar disappeared, how long had they been coming to the Tankard?"

Shamus' eyes wondered for a moment as he thought and shrugged as he answered.

"I'll have worked here for five years this summer, and I served them drinks on my first night. When we replaced the stools two years ago, they both complained that they had just broken theirs in enough to tolerate sitting down."

Shamus smiled at the memory, but his face grew somber as he fixed his eyes back on Toskar.

"Why do you ask Tosk? What's going on?"

Slowly at first, but with greater ease once his words started flowing, Toskar filled Shamus in on Ruphus' words, the gossip he had heard in the bar, as well as the fact that now children were disappearing as well.

"The Tankard is all I have Shamus, but the thought of sittin' back and doing nothin' goes against everything my da' taught me."

Shamus nodded his slender face slowly and shrugged once more. "Guess you already have your answer Tosk, all you have to do is admit it."

Toskar nodded once and set the firewine back on the bar. "Save that for me until I can toast it with you, Gryffon and Krylscar, and tell the boss that the Tankard might have to watch itself for a few days."

Shamus nodded and opened his mouth to wish Toskar luck, but the dwarven bouncer was already out the door and heading towards the church, the oversized club slung across his shoulder.

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Brokkus is disappointed that the other dwarf can’t come with them to the church. The man clearly has a good heart, and his desire to do right in the world is clearly evident by his actions. He must be miserable being confined to working as a bouncer in a tavern. He makes up his mind that even if the others don’t visit with Toskar again, he will.

The young acolyte listens carefully to what the cleric of St. Cuthbert relates on the way to the church.

Approaching the impressive building, the dwarf can’t help but admire the structure of stone reaching up into the sky. Yet he feels distinct misgivings as he reads the inscription above the door. In his own experience, too much faith in either law or chaos is bound to lead to misery.

In any event, he is eager to learn more about the kidnappings. Also, he would like to meet Mistress Urikas. Rubbing shoulders with the hierarchy of St. Cuthbert’s church should be interesting at worst.

"Thank you, Ruphus, for your offer," says the dwarf, with genuine appreciation. "I'd be delighted to."

Watermark12

First Post
Tarlonniel said:
Meg salutes the marble figures with her staff, then turns to Ruphus. "Certainly! And if I can, I will help your church stop these vanishings, for their purpose seems to be a dark one."

CoolHand said:
"I'll gladly accept your invitation," replies the gnome, always on the hunt for more information of any kind. "Name's Binkle, by the way. Binkle Tinkerdink." He pauses to read the engraving and enjoy the whole of the structure and the supporting statues. "Not a bad job. I don't suppose there were any gnome's involved in it's construction?"

Ruphus looks utterly bewildered, unsure whether Binkle's question was meant rhetorically or not. "Ummm...I really have no idea," he finally mutters.

Mimic said:
Eldar studies the young cleric and the church of St. Cuthbert for a few moments and then nods to himself. "I will accept your invitation, perhaps this is the reason I am here."

Vigwyn the Unruly said:
The young acolyte listens carefully to what the cleric of St. Cuthbert relates on the way to the church.

Approaching the impressive building, the dwarf can’t help but admire the structure of stone reaching up into the sky. Yet he feels distinct misgivings as he reads the inscription above the door. In his own experience, too much faith in either law or chaos is bound to lead to misery.

In any event, he is eager to learn more about the kidnappings. Also, he would like to meet Mistress Urikas. Rubbing shoulders with the hierarchy of St. Cuthbert’s church should be interesting at worst.

"Thank you, Ruphus, for your offer," says the dwarf, with genuine appreciation. "I'd be delighted to."

Ruphus leads the way through the massive door, into the foyer of the temple. Another acolyte, this one even younger than Ruphus, greets the group. "Tristan, please make these guests comfortable, I must speak with Mistress Urikas." Ruphus excuses himself, while Tristan leads the group to a comfortable, if spartan, sitting room. A warm fire blazes a welcome in the hearth. Tristan provides warm blankets and hot tea to help ward off the chill of the damp evening, then departs, leaving the party to wait.

After several minutes, the door opens once more. A young woman with premature streaks of gray in her elaborately-styled brown hair steps forward with her hand outstretched in friendship. She stands only 5'4", but the resolve of her stance seems to carry a greater height. She wears a brown robe with golden trim and the symbol of St. Cuthbert around her neck.

"Good evening," says the woman. "I have spoken to Ruphus and learned of his harrowing ordeal, as well as your remarkable heroism. I'm Jenya Urikas, the acting high priest, and I am in your debt. Will you consider staying long enough to entertain a proposal? These are troubled times, and the church may have need of selfless citizens such as yourselves."

A soft rap on the door interrupts Jenya, and Tristan pokes his head in. "Excuse the interruption, Mistress Urikas. There's a rough-looking dwarf with a huge club at the entrance...says he also helped out Ruphus tonight?" Jenya waves the acolyte away, saying, "Yes, of course...the fifth rescuer. Bring him in, please, Tristan."

[Enter Toskar]

After the dwarf has rejoined his fellows, Jenya turns her intense brown eyes upon you, awaiting a response.

Responses/Actions?

Two-Gun Kid

First Post
Reaching the temple of the Cudgels, Toskar ran his fingers through his rain and sweat soaked hair as he reached for the heavy bronze knocker, and while the gesture was meant intended to improve his appearance, it truthfully did little more than to send his unruly mass of red hair into further disarray.

’What do I say? “Hi, one of you took a pounding tonight and I helped him out.” They’ll think I want some coins and send me on my way.’

His musings were cut short as a young man, still in his teens if Toskar had to bet on it, dressed in the robes of an acolyte opened the door and stared at Toskar as if the dwarf was either lost or confused.

”Deliveries to the temple are not accepted at night sir. Please tell your employer we apologize for the inconvenience, but the church does hold evening mass if you are interested.”

Shaking his head, sending water spraying as he did so, Toskar stepped closer to the young Cudgel and spoke simply, but firmly to him.

”I ain’t a delivery messenger, and I don’t have time for a sermon right now. Did Ruphus make it here with the others? I helped him out earlier tonight when some thugs jumped him and he said he was coming here next.”

Taking a step backwards and motioning for Toskar to enter, the acolyte closed the door once Toskar was inside.

”Brother Ruphus did arrive not long ago, but he did not mention that anyone else would be coming. If you would not mind waiting, I will seek him and Priestess Urikas out and tell them of your arrival.”

Not waiting for an answer, the young man turned and walked down the inner hallway until he reached a closed door roughly halfway down and then knocked twice before stepping inside, leaving Toskar alone and feeling as if there were unseen eyes everywhere upon him. Feeling suddenly foolish for still holding his club across his shoulder, Toskar leaned it against the wall and turned back to see the acolyte walking towards him once more, this time with a smile upon his face.

”Priestess Urikas is speaking with your friends right now sir. If you will follow me, I will take you to them.”

Nodding his head, Toskar fell in step behind the young man and when the acolyte opened the door, Toskar saw the others seated in the room.

’Wonder what she was telling them?’

Standing in the back, Toskar could tell that the priestess was waiting for the others to saw something, but he honestly had no idea on what that something could be.

Mimic

First Post
Eldar steps towards the women but well out of arms reach and bows low at the waist a fist cupped in the palm of his other hand close to his chest, eyes staring at the floor by her feet. "<Honored one> I am on a <life quest>, a pilgrimage to better understand myself and the world that I live in. I believe that it is no coincidence that we have been brought here tonight, ask what you will of me and if it is within my power I will fulfill it."

Eldar will stay bowed until she addresses him, unless stated directly he will not make eye contact with her

ooc: Anything in green should be considered elven

Tarlonniel

First Post
Meg had been softly singing a Halfling folk song about comfy rooms and hot drinks on blustery nights, but she stopped to hear Mistress Urikas. "In exchange for your warm room and warm drinks, I would listen to almost anything, mistress," Meg replies with a grin.

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Brokkus: Dwarf Cleric1 of Obad-Hai

Brokkus's face breaks into a wide smile as he hears Toskar's presence announced.

"Thank you for the fire and the shelter, Lady. Your hospitality is greatly appreciated, and I shall make a point of informing my brethren of the generous spirit of the house of St. Cuthbert. I would indeed be interested in anything you can tell us of the disappearances terrorizes the city of late. My heart nearly breaks for the poor orphans... no ma or pa to call their own... and now this horror. Please, tell us what you have in mind."

CoolHand

First Post
"Indeed, indeed...please do tell," Binkle replies excitedly as he warms his hands and feet by the fire. "As if the temperature shifts on the surface between night and day weren't enough, the shifting seasons and weather is nearly overwhelming." He looked about at the blank stares now facing him...likely the result of his amazing revelations, he decided at last. Just then, a spark of flame jumped from the fire and landed on the hem of his robe. Binkle jumped back, issuing a hoot, and quickly stepped on the flame before it could grow, nearly falling into the flames in the process.

"No matter," he continued as if nothing had happened, turing his attention back to the high priest. "Anyway, if this proposal is in regards to the children do tell indeed."

Watermark12

First Post
Two-Gun Kid said:
”Priestess Urikas is speaking with your friends right now sir. If you will follow me, I will take you to them.”

Nodding his head, Toskar fell in step behind the young man and when the acolyte opened the door, Toskar saw the others seated in the room.

’Wonder what she was telling them?’

Standing in the back, Toskar could tell that the priestess was waiting for the others to saw something, but he honestly had no idea on what that something could be.

Mimic said:
Eldar steps towards the women but well out of arms reach and bows low at the waist a fist cupped in the palm of his other hand close to his chest, eyes staring at the floor by her feet. "<Honored one> I am on a <life quest>, a pilgrimage to better understand myself and the world that I live in. I believe that it is no coincidence that we have been brought here tonight, ask what you will of me and if it is within my power I will fulfill it."

Eldar will stay bowed until she addresses him, unless stated directly he will not make eye contact with her

ooc: Anything in <green> should be considered elven

Jenya looks at Eldar a little awkwardly, unsure exactly how to respond to his formal display. She does not bow, but does nod respectfully as she responds, "Thank you. To be honest, I didn't comprehend all of your words, but I do understand your intentions. Your desire to help is most appreciated."

CoolHand said:
"Indeed, indeed...please do tell," Binkle replies excitedly as he warms his hands and feet by the fire. "As if the temperature shifts on the surface between night and day weren't enough, the shifting seasons and weather is nearly overwhelming." He looked about at the blank stares now facing him...likely the result of his amazing revelations, he decided at last. Just then, a spark of flame jumped from the fire and landed on the hem of his robe. Binkle jumped back, issuing a hoot, and quickly stepped on the flame before it could grow, nearly falling into the flames in the process.

"No matter," he continued as if nothing had happened, turing his attention back to the high priest. "Anyway, if this proposal is in regards to the children do tell indeed."

Jenya raises an eyebrow at Binkle's antics, but keeps her peace.

Tarlonniel said:
Meg had been softly singing a Halfling folk song about comfy rooms and hot drinks on blustery nights, but she stopped to hear Mistress Urikas. "In exchange for your warm room and warm drinks, I would listen to almost anything, mistress," Meg replies with a grin.

Vigwyn the Unruly said:
Brokkus's face breaks into a wide smile as he hears Toskar's presence announced.

"Thank you for the fire and the shelter, Lady. Your hospitality is greatly appreciated, and I shall make a point of informing my brethren of the generous spirit of the house of St. Cuthbert. I would indeed be interested in anything you can tell us of the disappearances terrorizes the city of late. My heart nearly breaks for the poor orphans... no ma or pa to call their own... and now this horror. Please, tell us what you have in mind."

Jenya nods slowly as she looks around the room, satisfied that all present are interested in what she has to say. "As you learned from Ruphus, four children were kidnapped from the Lantern Street Orphanage three nights ago. It seems apparent that they are but the most recent victims in a series of strange disappearances and robberies. In the wake of these latest kidnappings, the church of St. Cuthbert has publicly vowed to locate the missing children and bring the kidnappers to justice."

Jenya continues, "To that end, I borrowed an item from the church's vault. The Star of Justice is a powerful mace, imbued with the holy might of St. Cuthbert. Among other things, it may be used to divine direct guidance from our lord, when the weight of circumstance calls for such intervention. Normally, only the church's high priest may wield the Star, but in his absence, I felt justified in making its use...and so I did. I asked the question, 'Where are the children who were abducted from the Lantern Street Orphanage?' The response I received was cryptic, and I have been unable to determine its meaning:

The locks are key to finding them.
Look beyond the curtain, below the cauldron,
But beware the doors with teeth.
Descend into the malachite 'hold,
Where precious life is bought with gold.
Half a dwarf binds them, but not for long."

Jenya concludes, "To cut to the heart of things...I wish to hire you to assist me in deciphering this riddle, finding the missing townsfolk...the children especially...and punishing those responsible for their crimes. What say you?"

Responses/Questions?

Last edited:

Tarlonniel

First Post
Meg's eyes sparkle as Jenya recites the strange oracle. "This task would certainly lead to new and strange paths. I will not pass it up. But I ask for no money, only a little food each day and a sheltered place to sleep."

Remove ads