We need a cool new name for character optimizers...

Psimancer

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
You can't be an optimizer "to an extent." "Optimum" doesn't mean "pretty good," it means "best."
Yes, but for what purpose? Roleplaying? As Bacris said, its subjective.

Cam Banks said:
Is there some Githzerai word for optimizer?
Gish? ;)

Greg K said:
As far as I am concerned, optimizing, min/maxing, powergaming or munchikinism are not and will never be the same thing.
Totally agreed. I consider myself an 'Optimizer', but not a 'Powergamer', 'Min/Maxer' or a 'Munchikin'...

Warren Okuma

First Post
In an old school campaign it's called "pulling your weight." It's were the DM is out to get you, the monsters think and plan intelligently and do not want to die.

OT: I had this idea to get all the best weight pullers/optimizers/munchkins together and run a super tough old school dungeon where if you don't play to your best results in a TPK.

Idle thoughts...

If you are munchkins or powergamers just say so, and be proud. We earned it. Be proud.

Feh, hide behind the word optimizers?

NO!

Survive, then build character is our motto.

My character does not want to die. He will scream at the long night "No! You will not take me without a fight! I will train to be the best! I will study tactics and talk to the best to become a the best killer I can be! I am not a fool! I will survive because I can think! I will survive because I can plan! And survive I will!"

And this separates hobbyists-adventurers from the professionals.

Last edited:

IceFractal

First Post
I don't know about a general name (Optimizer has a Z! Isn't that cool enough for you?), but here's some names for subsets that may come in handy: :p

OptoMiser: Really good at optimizing their own character, but won't help with anyone else's.

Fatal Optomizt: Makes "uber" characters with glaring weak spots (like a Berserker with a Will save of -1 at 20th level), and hopes the DM won't notice or take advantage of it.

Max/Miner: Works to make amazingly weak characters, and then says they're roleplaying better as a result.

Posergamer: Claims they have an godly character that could kill the whole rest of the group. Actually has no such thing - their character couldn't conquer a molehill.

Hunchkin: Munchkin who uses metagaming instead of raw character power. They've always got a "hunch" on which door to open (because they read the module).

Optic-Master: Can read the DM's notes off the reflection in his glasses (only works if the DM wears glasses).

Powerroller: Doesn't make that powerful a character, just rolls amazingly well, on everything. Are they cheating, really lucky, or psychic?

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
WarlockLord said:
All of us compulsive optimizers out there need a cool name. "Optimizers" is a label applied to us, and it sounds OK. However, I have come up with a much, much cooler name.

I have a list of fantastic cool names for you, but any of them would get me banned from EnWorld.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
IceFractal said:
I don't know about a general name (Optimizer has a Z! Isn't that cool enough for you?), but here's some names for subsets that may come in handy: :p

OptoMiser: Really good at optimizing their own character, but won't help with anyone else's.

Fatal Optomizt: Makes "uber" characters with glaring weak spots (like a Berserker with a Will save of -1 at 20th level), and hopes the DM won't notice or take advantage of it.

Max/Miner: Works to make amazingly weak characters, and then says they're roleplaying better as a result.

Posergamer: Claims they have an godly character that could kill the whole rest of the group. Actually has no such thing - their character couldn't conquer a molehill.

Hunchkin: Munchkin who uses metagaming instead of raw character power. They've always got a "hunch" on which door to open (because they read the module).

Optic-Master: Can read the DM's notes off the reflection in his glasses (only works if the DM wears glasses).

Powerroller: Doesn't make that powerful a character, just rolls amazingly well, on everything. Are they cheating, really lucky, or psychic?

Anacro-maxer: Attempts to maximize the power of his equipment, spells and actions through apeals to real world examples and fancy tricks of physics. Will eventually invent gunpowder.

Remove ads