We saw a Star War! Last Jedi spoiler thread

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Not sure where you got that bit about the A-Wing. They canonically have hyperdrive in RotJ, and in the EU they're one of the Rebels' primary long-range reconnaissance craft.

You’re right. It’s been too long since I played Saga...

i even have an A-wing pilot!

A friend has gotten me much more bitter about how Disney has treated Luke. I fundamentally dislike having him change so much from his former character, and having that change occur in a damned flashback.

Luke was going to murder his nephew, even for a moment? Really? You've got to earn that.

Nah, with more thought, the whole conceit of this movie is wrong.

Water Bob

Adventurer
One little clue that all is not as it should be with Luke at the end (that I spotted the second time through): When he faces off against his nephew, he is wielding the same lightsaber that, mere movie moments before, was split into two as Ben and Rey fought over it.

That's because it's not really Luke facing Ben. It's a Force Projection. Luke never left the world where Rey found him.

Note, too, besides the light saber, that Luke's beard is trimmed and all brown--no grey like he has "in real life" back on that world.

Remember...we cut back to that world, and Luke is sitting crossed legged on the rock. The Force Projection basically takes so much out of him that it kills him. Luke disappears, like Yoda and Kenobi before him.

pukunui

Legend
[MENTION=92305]Water Bob[/MENTION]: Yes, I know. I was saying that the lightsaber is a clue to the fact that he is not really there. I didn't pick up on it the first time I saw the film, but I did notice the second time.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
One little clue that all is not as it should be with Luke at the end (that I spotted the second time through): When he faces off against his nephew, he is wielding the same lightsaber that, mere movie moments before, was split into two as Ben and Rey fought over it.

The neat thing about that detail is that it not only serves as a clue that Luke isn't really there, it also represents his change of heart. He could have appeared wielding his green saber, but by choosing the blue one, he's figuratively reversing his rejection of it at the start of the movie.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
[MENTION=92305]Water Bob[/MENTION]: Yes, I know. I was saying that the lightsaber is a clue to the fact that he is not really there. I didn't pick up on it the first time I saw the film, but I did notice the second time.

There’s a few clues. His feet don’t turn the ground red like Kylo’s do. The two combatants never actually touch, and Luke never attacks. Luke looks younger and tidier.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
For me the immersion broke a couple of times when modern day vernacular was used. Both as jokes, coincidentally.

“I’ll hold for General Hux...”

“Page-turners they are not.”

While it could certainly be argued that those expressions are perfectly valid in that setting, to me they don’t quite fit. I think I find it more immersive when settings like that use their own colloquialisms.

Yeah, I know. I’m sure they do that all the time. Nevertheless, those two instances threw me off a little.

Water Bob

Adventurer

And, I was backing up what you were saying with the other stuff...not so much clueing you in as it was clear that you were already clued!:)

Water Bob

Adventurer
For me the immersion broke a couple of times when modern day vernacular was used. Both as jokes, coincidentally.

“I’ll hold for General Hux...”

“Page-turners they are not.”

While it could certainly be argued that those expressions are perfectly valid in that setting, to me they don’t quite fit. I think I find it more immersive when settings like that use their own colloquialisms.

Yeah, I know. I’m sure they do that all the time. Nevertheless, those two instances threw me off a little.

I definitely felt that with TFA, especially with Finn. "Droid! Please." And with Finn and Poe, "We're going to DO THIS!" But, I didn't get that with TLJ. Of course, I've only seen the film once.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Not really a plot hole, but more of a quandary. The Force Projection of Luke walks into the base from the "secret" rear opening, and that's what leads Poe and the rest to go searching for that other way out, unseen by the First Order.

The escaping Rebels didn't know that Luke was a Force Projection--they were escaping, and none of them saw him disappear.

So....if he was a Force Projection, he really didn't need an opening to walk through. He could have just appeared, walking up from the darkness of the cave. Yet, it is a coincidence that there is a secret rear opening--that all the Rebels assume Luke used (at least until they find it closed by the rock slide)--when the Force Projection really had nothing to do with the rear entrance.

Of course, there's the crystal coyotes, too.

Remove ads