We saw a Star War! Last Jedi spoiler thread

Sure, the Rebellion had some pretty sweet resources...a good (and undefined) span of time into its existence. It certainly wouldn't have started like that and, based on what we've seen in Rogue One, it almost didn't hold together on news of the Death Star's existence in spite of its X-wings, Mon Calamari ships, and numbers. But then a plucky mission by the protagonists and their support brought everyone back around in time to win their first major engagement in A New Hope.

I don't know what's in store for Episode 9. But it'll probably follow a similar pattern - their allies may not have rallied in time for the fight on Crait, but with Snoke dead, several star destroyers wrecked, and Luke Skywalker sacrificing himself to cover an escape, I expect people will rally to the Resistance's flag in some way.

Even if they broke up the assets were still there. Worst case the biggest cowards would have run and the Rebellion at the time of Rogue One would have been smaller but had more backbone. What Rogue One really told us was that in the beginning it was a very loose coalition. Mon Mothma stated that no action could be taken without unanimous consent of the council. There is no way that the rebellion would effectively do anything under a structure like that.

Total side point, but really, who knows that Luke is dead? He died on a rock on the other side of the galaxy from the strain of being so badass in the final scene. Also does anyone really care? Leia was the only one that ever went looking for Luke for his help.

Last edited:

Total side point, but really, who knows that Luke is dead? He died on a rock on the other side of the galaxy from the strain of being so badass in the final scene. Also does anyone really care? Leia was the only one that ever went looking for Luke for his help.

Episode 9 opening crawl:

Luke Skywalker is dead. Han Solo is dead. Princess Leia is dead. Chewbacca's still around, sure, but since when did he have any useful dialog ...

Episode 9 opening crawl:

Luke Skywalker is dead. Han Solo is dead. Princess Leia is dead. Chewbacca's still around, sure, but since when did he have any useful dialog ...

Well... Episode VI's alternate crawl could be:
Obi-Wan and Amidala are dead. Yoda is dying. Anakin is evil. All your heroes from the original trilogy and Clone Wars are gone. Here's a whiny farmboy, a con artist, and a princess in denial of her potential as a Jedi...

Hussar

Legend
According to http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Endor_strike_team
Han Solo signed up with the Alliance permanently and had been given the commission to act as a General. Not exactly a completely untrained civilian or considered as such.

Han Solo was a smuggler as is the Onion Knight in GoT both considered far more valuable and skilled (despite their lack of training) than a regular civilian.

That is not to say that I disagree with your overall position, but perhaps that is not case in this instance.

Heh, yeah, because you want your commanding officer buggering off to hunt for his girlfriend ten minutes after landing. :p But, the point is still made - if we're going to promote civilians to generals as soon as they sign up, arguing for expectations of proper military actions pretty much goes out the window.

Hussar

Legend
No. In real militaries people are demoted after elaborate hearings where all evidence is considered. Not as part of a 2 minute conversation.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

In war time, soldiers are executed for less in many real world militaries. Elaborate hearings are what happens in peace time. Someone who disobeys direct orders and gets multiple people killed in the middle of a war zone gets hung from the nearest tree.

Trying to play the "real world military" card when talking about Star Wars is ridiculous.

Smuggler, trained in the imperial military depending on which history is the real one AND he was leading an entire team of commandos.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

So, a criminal defector from the enemy is being given command of one of the most important missions in the entire war because... he's cute? Again, this is a really, really odd hill to die on.

Well... Episode VI's alternate crawl could be:
Obi-Wan and Amidala are dead. Yoda is dying. Anakin is evil. All your heroes from the original trilogy and Clone Wars are gone. Here's a whiny farmboy, a con artist, and a princess in denial of her potential as a Jedi...
Wouldn't the alternate crawl be:
"Amidala is dead, Anakin is evil. See how their children try to suceed where they failed."

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
On the other hand, in real militaries civilian farm boys with magical powers aren't immediately given flight clearance --and a fighter-- to attack enemy targets the size of the Moon.

You may have noticed the Star Wars films are somewhat unrealistic.

Or not, as the case may be!

Desperation makes strange bed fellows. Independence Day saw anyone who could fly be given a fighter. No point in not doing that when the existence of humanity was on the line. I imagine the Rebellion felt similar.

delericho

Legend
Desperation makes strange bed fellows. Independence Day saw anyone who could fly be given a fighter. No point in not doing that when the existence of humanity was on the line. I imagine the Rebellion felt similar.

Well... except that an untrained pilot in control of a fighter like that would almost certainly be more danger to his allies than his enemies. You'd almost certainly be better going in with a much smaller, but actually trained force.

That said, the end of Star Wars does make a little more sense if Red Leader is absolutely desperate - it may be a mistake, but at least then it's an understandable one.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well... except that an untrained pilot in control of a fighter like that would almost certainly be more danger to his allies than his enemies. You'd almost certainly be better going in with a much smaller, but actually trained force.

That said, the end of Star Wars does make a little more sense if Red Leader is absolutely desperate - it may be a mistake, but at least then it's an understandable one.

Yeah. I imagine flying a fighter is a bit more complicated than flying a crop duster. In Star Wars at least technology has advanced to the point where flying one space ship would be very close to flying another.

Wouldn't the alternate crawl be:
"Amidala is dead, Anakin is evil. See how their children try to suceed where they failed."
I was responding to a post about how all the main characters were now dead. Which is also true of the original trilogy. Everyone is killed or does nothing of note in favour of the "new" characters. For anyone born after 1990, the prequels are as nostalgic as the original trilogy. I imagine lots of kids watching the series I to VIII in chronological order.

I tried to watch A New Hope with my son, but things were too slow and there was too much talking. I went to Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones to introduce him to Star Wars. Especially with the Clone Wars TV show. Anakin and Obi-Wan have a ridiculous amount of hours devoted to them. And they'e just seemingly killed unceremoniously. To say nothing of Ahsoka Tano, whose fate is only implied.

Remove ads