We were like gods once... BIG UPDATE Friday Nov 5!

Tellerve

No worries on your interpretation and telling of the invasion. It was me just saying, 'ugh' as more of a well. More of a weight to think about what the men accomplished and went through that day, and the days before and after. I thought you got the "feel" of it quite well. Like Saving Private Ryan, the beach invasion was amazing, but also so utterly chilling.

Anyways, keep it up, looking forward to the Tigers meetin' up with Moose.

Tellerve

ledded

Herder of monkies
ledded said:
<snip>
“Yeah, Moose here was actually one of the youngest guys to ever play in the CJFL ya know”, Frankie bragged to the 82nd Airborne guys. “Damn good, he was too.”

At their skeptical looks he added “Canadian. Junior. Football. League. Jeez guys, don’t get out much, do ya?”.

“Oh yeah, that a fact? Sheez man ya expect me ta believe dat? Whaddaya say, Bullwinkle? Rocky just pullin’ my leg or what?”, the big airborne corporal tossed at Moose in a thick Brooklyn brogue and cocky smile.

“Oh ya. Last played in ’36 for da Moose Jaw Maroons dere, dontcha know”, Moose rumbled, embarrassed.

<snip>
I wanted to post a quick note, as I meant to put a link in the SH post here.

Just so you don't think I make all of this up:

http://www.cjfl.ca/records/champions.cfm

Look down the page to 1936...

Okay, I'm a geek, but I try to be an *accurate* geek.

Len

Prodigal Member
ledded said:
Sorry if the Omaha beach scene was a bit graphic for ya, but I felt it needed a very gritty treatment; my first cut was a bit more kid-gloves and it just didnt feel right.
I echo Tellerve's "ugh", and I think you did a great job with that scene. It seems wrong to comic-book-ize D-Day, and besides it makes your heroes more heroic if you show the desperate situation they were facing.

Just so you don't think I make all of this up:
http://www.cjfl.ca/records/champions.cfm
Look down the page to 1936...
Three cheers for the Hamilton Italo Canadians!

Eyas

First Post
No reason other than to BUMP this back to page 1 in the hopes that ledded will post my characters intro/back story :D

One-Off? Say it isn't so! Or maybe you meant to say "One War Off", yah, I could live with that! ;)

Oh, I've just completed extensive "Suck-Factor" scans, I don't know what you were warning us about, I failed to detect any signs of the phenomenon at all.

Hatchling Dragon

ledded

Herder of monkies
Hatchling Dragon said:
One-Off? Say it isn't so! Or maybe you meant to say "One War Off", yah, I could live with that! ;)

Oh, I've just completed extensive "Suck-Factor" scans, I don't know what you were warning us about, I failed to detect any signs of the phenomenon at all.

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks for the kind words Hatchling Dragon, and thanks again Piratecat for stopping by to see us.

And dont worry, there's plenty more material... I've just gotten to the end of the introductions and not even deep into any game yet. We've played 2 sessions and there may be another tomorrow night, and most of it was fun supers power-flingin' KAPOW and KABAMM. With tanks!

I had a little writers block, and then when I got myself started back up I started getting hammered at work; I'll try to post up an update sometime this week. I am considering posting up digital pictures of the combats in progess that we took with my new camera, but I'm not sure if it would bust up the story or not.

Thanks again guys, your considerate posts make me want to buck up and get some posting going on.

Ledded

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Now ah know what gol-darned system yer usin'! :D

Thanks for all the ding-dang cool language from Hank and Moose, eh.

My Champions training is already trying to put a "schtick" on each of the three principles in your story so far...please excuse....Moose = Brick, Hank = Telekinetic/WWII equiv of a Cyberkinetic or may its specific-like...a Mechano-kinetic :)

Smitty, well either luck or light manipulation for the invis, and very good with a rifle kinda like Alan Quartermain in LXG, maybe he's more magically-oriented(?)

But now I'm here! Oh, don't forget the "What in tar'nation?" for the Northwest Texan :)

ledded

Herder of monkies
We were like gods once... [Destiny Approaches, and she's got a Tiger]

Back to the present, France, late June 1944, 9:58 am.

Smitty stares out of the back of the truck, watching the hedgerows and flooded fields roll by from the column’s position on some kind of raised road or dike.

“Smitty? Hey dere?”, Moose’s northern accent breaks into Smitty’s thoughts.

Smitty looks up, fishes a smoke out of his pocket, and continues.

“Oh. Well, I managed to make it up our part of the beach, got the drop on some Krauts, and then hid out in their trench and popped enough of ‘em for the boys to get their bangalores and satchel charges to take out the main bunker, like Hank was talkin’ about. Boom, like a cherry bomb.”

“About that time, ya’ll happened up on me fightin’ off their reserves, and you know the rest.”, Smitty finishes, exhaling smoke with an audible sigh.

“Fighting ‘em off? Sheez man, you clocked sumthin’ like 9 or 10 of ‘em before I got up there, dontcha know. Stacked up like firewood ‘round that 20mm, eh?”, Moose adds, then looks ahead for a moment.

“Hey, it looks like were comin’ up on somethin’, dontcha know… the point is callin’ a stop here”, Moose calls over, craning his big neck to see up ahead of the truck.

“Figures. I just lit this smoke”, Smitty sighs.

Hank is tuning the radio and picks up the Airborne guys ahead.

“ksssssh… tanks, house glowing like it’s on fire.. ksshhsssshhh… too many… kksshhshsh... hands! Fire on his ha... ksskshhshshksshsh...oh my God… gotta get out… oh sweet Jesus help me… kssshhssshhhshshs… help… kshshshshsh… AAAAHHHHKsshshshhss…”

Hank glances shakily at Smitty and Moose; they see his adam’s apple bob when he lets loose an audible gulp.

The Captain pulls up in his M20, and confers with Hank a minute before pulling ahead.

Hank watches him go, and turns back to the others, worried.

“I’lltellyouwhatnow, ding-dangit, them Krauts is jest ahead ‘ere. Cap’n sez ta raise that gol-darned air corp and ding-dang see ‘bout our fire support”, Hanks add in as he absentmindedly starts making miniscule adjustments to the radio. Soon there is the hiss of static and somehow he has got a line on a couple Mustangs running support.

“This here’s Alpha one Bravo, ding-dang ol’ flyboys, gimme yer ETA we got…”

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
ledded said:
Back to the present, France, late June 1944, 9:58 am.

"This here’s Alpha one Bravo, ding-dang ol’ flyboys, gimme yer ETA we got…”

We got? We got what?! Why ya gotta leave us hangin', ledded?

sigh...but glad you posted :) and hungry for more!

Last edited:

Remove ads