We were like gods once... BIG UPDATE Friday Nov 5!

ledded

Herder of monkies
We were like gods once... [John's story]

In the skies near St. Lo, France, at that moment:

Lt John Brighton, US Army Air Corps, is lost in his own thoughts. That often happened when he flew; the coolness of the clouds, the open sky, the steady drone of the plane’s engine, the feeling of freedom and speed that came with it.

Having joined the RAF before the US got into the big one, he fought in the Battle of Britain and took his fair share of kills in that time. When the Air Corps finally got themselves over, he re-joined his old unit, though at his previous rank. It didn’t matter to him though, his Kansas-farmer father always taught him to take pride in the work itself, not just in the fruits of it. Back in Kansas what mattered was the work a man did, not what he wore on his shoulder-boards…

7 Years ago, Kansas.

“It can’t be helped Mr. Brighton. Sammy says he can’t fly is this weather, not with a busted arm. Hell, he says he probably couldn’t even with two good arms”, the youth related to Marcus Brighton, owner of the triple-L farm in north Kansas.

“Thanks Bobby. You get you something hot to drink from the missus and stay here till this storm blows over”, came the tired reply.

The storm had blown in quick and unexpected. With howling straight-line winds and snow, the temperature dropping rapidly below even a normal Kansas winter. A storm that had stranded Marcus Brighton’s oldest son Michael and several of their farm hands somewhere out there without any way to protect themselves; they were 8 hours overdue as it was, and Marcus was deeply worried.

So was John, Marcus’s younger son. Having no interest in farming, he had been eagerly learning how to fly from Uncle Sammy when he could, and loved nothing more than taking that old biplane up. He loved hearing Grampa’s stories about The Great War and what it was like to fly back then; it was Grampa who got the old biplane to help out around the farm. Plus, he was good at flying it, and he knew it. John chafed at his father’s reluctance to let him help out; it rubbed him raw that he wasn’t even going to be on the next search party, due to mount up and leave any minute. Well damned if he was going to let his brother die; he knew he could find them with the old biplane, even if his father would never allow it.

“Pa, just lemme help somehow, I know I...”

“John, I’ve told ya before, it’s too dangerous. You stay here and keep an ear on the radio, and keep the fire stoked for when we get back with Michael. Do your job, boy, and I don’t want to hear any more guff about it”.

“Yessir, I’ll do my job”.

Though I’ll be the one deciding what job that is, old man, John added as an afterthought.

They were just out of earshot when John opened the barn and pulled the cover from their old biplane. Damn, he’s right, it’s colder than a witch’s teats in a brass bra out here, he thought to himself, and it’s only gonna get worse up there.

Normally John loved the cold; he would fly without a jacket or scarf because he loved the feel of the cold air whipping across his skin. His mother always worried, but he never got sick from it. This time, though, it was night, the winds were howling like the hounds at the gates of hell, and their breath was a wall of ice and snow that swirled and slashed like millions of tiny, glacial teeth. And it’s only gonna get worse, but Mike’s out there in it..

So he put on hat, goggles, scarf, and his Dad’s old leather car coat and fired up the old girl. John waved jauntily, grinning, at his mother and the farmhands as they ran from the house waving frantically at him as he moved down the lane and into the frigid, keening night. He just wished he felt as confident as he tried to look as the dark landscape all but disappeared and the plane took air, bucking and weaving under the punishing winds.

He saw his father’s party, on horses with lanterns glowing, and tipped the wings with another grin as much to let Pa know it was him as to rub his old scraggly face in it. I can too help out, and fly this ole girl better than half-drunk Sammy too.

45 minutes later:

The weather was worsening by the minute, everything was white snow or dark ground, and the horizon was a like a thing he had heard about once, maybe seen in a picture book, but could barely remember. The gauges were unreadable, and the stick fought him like a crazed weasel; it took both hands, all his skill, and every bit of his dwindling strength just to keep the groaning and straining old plane from tearing apart or tumbling like a leaf. Yeah, but leaves don’t burst into fireballs when they hit the ground, thought John as his breath came in ragged, icy gasps.

He could feel the control surfaces gaining ice in the storm; the sweat off of his nose was frozen in a stream against the side of his face though he couldn’t feel it much any longer. John swallowed his fear and brought the plane back in lower over the trails his brother should have taken on his way back, eyes straining for all their worth.

Just then, a sudden downdraft tore control away from him, and the plane spiraled out of control with an ominous tearing sound. He smashed his head against the side of the open cockpit and the bitter winds tore his hat and goggles away.

John gritted his teeth and through flashes of light that seemed to be all that was left of his vision, struggled to get the plane back under control. “Ok, maybe this… wasn’t… such a good… idea… after all”, he confided to no one in particular as the darkness in front of him grew larger and broader.

Darkness? The ground!!!, came the realization as he heaved back on the stick; he was rewarded with a tortured screeching and a loud, sparking crash as the plane’s nose came sharply up and the gear scraped the top of a small rise.

Another flash of light in his peripheral vision came to him just as he was smoothing out his ascent when he realized that this flash had no afterimage like the others; it wasn’t from the bump on his head this time. He turned the shaking, heaving plane that way and was awarded with another flash.

His mind was filled with jubilation; A Rifle! It’s Mike, it has to be! And he’s trying to signal me!

He circled as low as he dare and saw the shapes of several men huddled against lying horses, probably for warmth. John straightened up and tried to make a heading towards where his Pa should be; after a few moments he realized Pa’s party was heading in the wrong direction and had been all evening. Mike must have gotten turned around in the storm.

The plane made several more sounds of complaint, and the engines were revving up and down forcing him to constantly try to make throttle adjustments, but determination filled him now.

Soon the lanterns of the search party came dimly to view and he flew over them as low as he dare; several times he crossed over them, back and forth in the direction that his brother Michaels party lay, nearly losing control with every effort. After the third pass he was rewarded with the flash of several shots, a clear signal that they finally understood.

He turned off towards Micheal again. Suddenly, a cross-draft took him and the stick tore from his aching, frozen grasp with a terrible grinding sound of protest. The plane turned over and John fought, screaming, for control.

Finally, the plane righted, but as he tried to make a last correction he felt the stick give way and move freely in his hand, the plane unresponsive. Oh damn. That can’t be good, thought John. Then the engine, tortured beyond it’s endurance, sputtered to a cold death. Well, heck, doesn’t *that* just beat all.

It was almost surreal; his glide perfectly silent except for the wind whistling across the plane as it coasted off to who-knows-where. He tried to pop the latch on the belt, but it was frozen solid to his chest and he was having trouble getting his fingers to work. John sat back, defeated, and let the white-speckled wind wash over him as his last remaining strength fled; his fading mind took in the whistling, gliding spectacle as his tears left frozen tracks on his face.

This must be what birds feel like… so… beautiful…

John realized that he had been awake for some time, daydreaming. He opened one eye slowly, and felt the lashes painfully break off the ice rimmed over his eyelid.

The plane lay a short distance away, a mangled and torn wreck. He lay propped against a tree, and he was colder than he ever thought he could be. “C-c-c-colder th-than a w-w-welldigger’s b-b-butt”, he croaked out loud, shattering the early morning silence.

His cheeks and lips felt like they were cracking when he spoke, they were so cold. His body hurt badly in places, but in most places he could feel nothing. Nothing at all. I should be dead, he realized, weakly looking down at the frozen blood on his body and the ground. So cold… so damn cold…

He wanted so badly just to go back to sleep; he would warm up if he went to sleep. If he slept, all would be well. He could see Mike again, and have a big breakfast by the fire with his dad, who would be proud of him finally, if he just slept a little while longer. Sleep

A shuffling sound brought his heavy eyes open again, then they flew wide at the sight before him.

A large white wolf, all pearly menace and staring eyes like ice, stood less than 10 feet from him in the snow.

She’s gonna eat me. Oh man, I don’t wanna be no overgrown dog’s Alpo, came his frenzied thought, although try as he might he couldn’t move any of his numb limbs enough to shoo it off.

But the wolf just stood there. Staring. John sat, heart hammering, staring back at the wolf’s eerily ice-blue eyes, for what felt like an eternity.

The wolf padded over silently in the snow and licked some of the blood off of John’s legs; not in a predatory sense, but as if she had noticed something in John, something that amounted to… kinship? John didn’t know what it was with this wolf, but he wasn’t questioning it as long as it didn’t include tearing off chunks of his flesh with needle sharp teeth. He even thought he started to feel some warmth flow back into his limbs, and then prickles of pain.

The wolf’s head suddenly jerked up. He heard it about that time too; his name, called over a long distance.

The wolf stepped back, brought her head up and HOWLED as long and loud as she could; to John it felt like he was brittle ice being hit with a hammer and he joined his tortured scream to hers. He kept screaming until he realized that her howl was long gone, and when he opened his eyes, she was too.

And he could just see his father’s search party in the distance, struggling horses puffing clouds of breath, frantically trying to pick up speed in the frosty snow.

“Well, Mr. Brighton, it seems that we have somewhat of a miracle. It seems like his legs had some, er, minor breaks, but they are starting to heal up quite nicely. Really strange. And he didn’t lose any fingers or toes either, what with the frostbite and all. As far as his story about seeing things after the crash, well that was a pretty hard bump he took to the head so it’s to be expected, especially since you found no signs of anything.”

The old doctor stopped to take a drink of his coffee, looking at Mr. and Mrs. Brighton’s worried faces. Mr. Brighton spoke next.

“But what about his unnatural pallor, doc, it’s like the storm took all the color from him.”

The doctor looked up towards the ceiling, as if in memory, and replied “well, I haven’t seen it before m’self, but I guess that kind of cold could stick with a man. I do know his skin is healthy and undamaged, if a bit pale, given what he’s been through”.

“But what about his *eyes* doc, what do you think about those?” Mrs. Brighton blurted out frantically, worry evident in every fiber of her body.

“His eyes work just fine. He can see just like anybody, heck, better than most…”

“But the COLOR doc…” Mrs. Brighton interrupted.

“Yes. Well. Very odd. Such a pale, icy blue… for a man. Almost like, er… well, ah… a wolf’s…” the last finished in a soft whisper.

The three, lost in their own thoughts, continued to drink their coffee in silence.

…….

In the skies near St. Lo, France, late June 1944, 9:58 am

“…got us har a gol-durned heckuva knock-down drag-out comin’ up right-quick-like”, the chattering Texas drawl burst over Lt John Brighton’s radio in his P-51, and shook him out of his reverie.

“Gerald, I’ve got the ground-pounder’s we’re looking for on the horn, watch our six while I figure out where the hell they are”, he spoke into his radio.

“Kshshsh, check Johnny boy, I got your back. Let’s light up some Jerry’s and get out of here, I’ve got a bacon sandwich and a nice little French mademoiselle waiting for me back at base”, came the reply from his wingman.

“Copy, let’s just do our jobs and we’ll worry about the fun stuff later. You have the wing.”

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Cool! It's the White {war} Wolf .

I know...I'm such a fanboy when it comes to Comic Books. Ya know gettin' tired of the same ol' fantasy stuff

Last edited:

fenzer

Librarian, Geologist, and Referee
Thanks Ledded. That was the best character background yet. Thanks for putting this together. I look forward to your next update.

ledded

Herder of monkies
We were like gods once... [Locked in Battle]

France, near St Lo, late June 1944, 10:00 am

“kkssshhhhseven-zero-niner, alpha one, repeat, relay position of Jerry’s shooters, over”, the tinny voice comes over the radio.

Moose jacks the slide on his BAR, Smitty checks his scope once again, and they feel the truck slowing down. Men are jumping off the trucks as the distant *boom* of cannon fire reaches their ears.

Smitty rolls over the side and takes to the woods, flitting like an old memory from tree to tree looking for a good position. Hank jogs over by the Captain’s armored command car with his radio as the Captain is calmly relaying deployment orders for his tanks and halftracks. Moose jumps down out of the back of the truck and runs towards the front where men are spreading out into the flooded fields for a little cover, to form an advancing line.

Maybe they can hook around and sweep behind the Krauts before they know what hit ‘em, Hank thinks as he nervously surveys the scene.

Up ahead the M2 Halftrack is blazing away with its .50 cal at one of the two two-storey buildings in the open area ahead; they make an “L” shape in the clearing as the road veers off at a 45 degree angle to the right. The area around them is raised slightly above the flooded fields, just as the road they are approaching on is; the muddy fields limit the approach for tanks and vehicles. There are a couple Kubelwagons and Hanomag SdKfz 251/1 halftracks visible, so they may be able to…

*BOOM*

The M3 halftrack in front of the American column detonates in a shower of burning metal and screaming men. A Tiger becomes visible as it finishes the turn around one of the buildings, and a cunningly hidden Panther becomes visible by the second house as it rolls out from under its camouflaged netting, main gun smoking.

The Sherman and one of Cromwell’s fire, their shells SPANGing harmlessly off of the Tiger and Panther’s front armor. Men quickly duck and run for cover as the tanks MG’s open up.

The second Cromwell places a shot right in the drivers compartment of one of the Hanomags and it hops like a schoolgirl under the impact. A burning German soldier manages to slide over the side and crawl a few feet before rolling onto his back, flaming arms raised to the sky as if in supplication. Hank watches in morbid fascination, sure he is going to be sick.

G.I.’s are spread out and moving forward from cover to cover, slowed by the treacherous mud on the sides of the raised road. Two machine guns open fire from the second storey windows of the houses and men scramble for cover and several fall, screaming in pain.

Hank grabs his binoculars gets as good a look as he can. He keys the mike for the Air Corp fellas above him.

“Ding-dangit, gots us a couple ol’fat tanks, some Hanny-maggers, ITellYouWhat we caint drop that-thar Tiger and he’s blockin’ the road dingdang ol’ sumbeech, drop us some fire on that sucker at these coordianates…”

Hank watches in growing horror, rattling off the Tiger’s position, as yet another tank, a Mark IV Panther, becomes visible off to the right; it bursts through a hedgerow and fires into the side of one of the Cromwell’s with such force that the driver’s hatch blows open, flames shooting skyward.

A tank driver’s helmet, smoking, bounces onto the road; the MG42s in the houses cut down the fleeing survivors as they try to get away from the smoldering tank. An American halftrack fires its .50 cal’s at it to little effect as it scrambles back trying to get some distance. A bazooka team, momentarily scattered when the tank burst over the hedgerow, snaps off a rocket at the side of the tank; the round hits squarely, but only manages to mangle the shurtzen the wily Germans have installed for combating that tactic.

Hank looks back towards the houses, and as he spots the first MG nest the gunner’s head kicks back, a neat hole drilled into his forehead. Hank swings the binoculars back and notices Smitty, in cover from the trees, cycle the action on his Springfield. He fires again, and Hank is sure somewhere up ahead a Nazi just met his maker. Bet he wishes he weren’t no ding-dang ol’ Godless heathen now by gumption.

Moose is up ahead with some other men trying to lay down suppressing fire; he calmly aims his BAR and rips loose a hail of lead at a window. The other MG falls silent as a soldier silently tumbles from the window, splashing blood onto the front of the house as he bounces into the yard. Several G.I.s, covered by the burning halftrack and out from under the MG’s fire, move forward to make the advance, throwing grenades and firing wildly as they advance.

Suddenly there are some swooshing and thumping sounds in the distance and large streaks of smoke appears behind the main house, the one that it looks like is on fire. Hank swings his binoculars back towards the main house and peers ahead.

Funny, that house is flickerin’ yeller, but it aint on fire, he thinks to himself as the smoke billows *behind* it. He spots a Wermacht-grey Hanomag, roll cage on top and strange boxes attached to the sides. Oh ding-dangit, them’s one o’ them ole rocket halftrackers, whatcha call ‘em, dang ‘ol Wurfrahme, and them suckers go boom big time, he realizes. He also notices the smoke of what appears to be mortars firing to the left of the houses, and decides that this is not the place to be standing.

“Hey-o, Cap’n, we gotta ding-dang getthehellouttahere, man, danged ole bushwackers Itellyouwhat, we got incomin’ ! It’s a damn ambush Cap’n. Gotta go” and with that warning he sprints off carrying the radio for cover in the trees, dodging MG fire from the Tanks and halftracks coming down the road.

Captain Michaels surveys the rapidly deteriorating situation; the Tiger has held up their advance from the crossroads, and was taking some cover behind the destroyed Hanomag while firing to great effect down the road. His Sherman is smoking with a busted track but still firing, one of his halftracks was a burning wreck, the second in a very dangerous place near a Panzer. The first Matilda was a flaming metal coffin, and the second was trying to get into position to get a shot at the Tiger or the Panther ahead; he probably won’t penetrate their armor at this angle, but the stubborn Brit just wouldn’t back it up even if he ordered him to.

Just then, Michaels spots German infantry, Fallshirmjagers by the look of them, sneaking from the left to the edge of the road; undoubtedly they have Panzerfausts and MG34’s and are looking to get the drop on his stalled advance. He knows he should call a retreat and move back in his M20, but he can’t leave those men to be cut to pieces without doing something. He knew he should have listened to his bad feeling that morning.

What was it those Lakotas Indians used to say back home?, he thought, as the scene became even more chaotic.

Oh yes, he continued, now I remember. Captain Michaels yanks back the bolt on the .50 cal mounted on his M20, and takes aim at the sneaking Fallshirmjagers.

“Today is a good day to die. Only the sun and moon last forever”. I always liked that one.

“You say somethin’ sir?” asked the M20’s driver.

Whatever the Captain said was drowned out by the stocatto fire of his machine gun, and the driver took that cue to move the car into better position to fire. Where is that damn air support, the young man thinks as he maneuvered the M20 around the troop truck just ahead of him, oblivious to the arching trails of smoke overhead.

...…

John Brighton deciphered the ramblings over the radio, and moved his aircraft on that heading. Very soon, he saw the smoke ahead, and could almost make out the camouflage pattern of the Tiger that was wreaking so much havoc.

He checked his systems, armed the rockets under his wings, and took one last look around before beginning the shallow diving run required to hit the Tiger.

“Check, Gerald, you got anything?”, he asks over the radio.

“That’s a big old negatory there, ell-tee. Wait, I think I saw a flash…”

BRRRRAAAAPPP

A long stream of metal walks up Gerald’s wing as 2 BF-109’s fall out of the sun like screeching predatory hawks and fire on them.

“Holy crap, John, we got 2 Messerschmidt’s coming out of our six… where the heck did *these* guys come from?”, came Gerald’s panicked voice over the radio.

John glanced back, saw them, and replied. “Check that, Lt. We have to drop this fire and we’ll take care of Jerry. We have a job to do. Just try to keep ‘em off me for a second”. John, realizing the plight of the boys on the ground, tries to move evasively as he sets his nose on a course with the rapidly approaching Tiger belching death on the Americans down the thin road.

BRRRAAAAPPP!

“Oh dammit John, I’m hit… I’m hit…”

John looks back at Gerald, covering John’s wing and juking about to keep the Jerrys occupied, as smoke began trailing from his plane.

“Get out of here Gerald, a few seconds and I can take these guys”, John yells into the radio.

“<cough> That’s another negatory there, ell-tee, we gotta hit that tank. Can’t be <cough> leaving my wingman and all that…”, Gerald replied calmly and moved back and forth on John’s tail as the Nazi pilots moved in close for the kill.

Just a few more seconds, thought John frantically, as he could hear the whizzing of MG rounds and the occasional PLINK of contact with his aircraft.

“John! Look out, he’s making a move for ya…” came the yell across the radio and John hazards a quick look back as the lead BF-109 releases a flashing hail of metal at him. Just as he nearly yanks the stick to move out of reflex he sees Gerald’s Mustang purposefully cross into the fire, smoke trailing from the engine and cockpit as the rounds chew brutally through the wounded plane.

“Gerald! Bail out… Bail…”, yells John into the radio as Gerald’s Mustang BLOWS into a thousand flaming fragments.

His mouth a grim line, John turned just in time to depress the firing switch on the rockets, and his plane rocks under their ignition as they streak away from him towards the Tiger on the ground.

He immediately pulls up hard and banks tight, hoping to shake the BF-109’s.

“How’s that for made in the U.S. of A. ya Nazi pinhead!” yells John as the rockets detonate on target, shearing off part of the Tiger’s turrent as they drive explosively into the weaker top armor.

John banks hard back the other direction and gives the throttle everything she’s worth, and his sudden climb and banking has put the first Messershmidt dangerously close to his tail but in no position to fire on him. He had hoped to shake or scare them both off, or at least bring them in too close to fire, but the trailing 109 was able to peel back and set up.

Damn, these guys are good.

John glances back he sees the German’s guns light up. Aw, here we go again…

The long burst walks up the side of his fuselage, and his canopy cracks and shatters as the rounds continue up and into his engine. The P-51’s screaming engine is silenced in an explosion of metal and the cockpit fills with greasy black smoke.

“Sonuva…”, John chokes out as he jukes a stalling roll-over, knowing this may be his last act among the living. His move pushes his rapidly decelerating and burning plane crossways straight into the path of the oncoming BF-109s. He thinks he can almost make out the near-comical look of shock on the closest pilot’s face as he punches through John’s smoke and realizes his mistake.

“How do you like that, Jerry”, John muses as he coughs on the burning smoke just before the Messerschmidt slams into his tail section, shearing off the nose and engine of the craft in a fiery detonation. They both spin out of control and fall, as the second BF-109 narrowly escapes the same fate as his wingman.

John tries to get the canopy open but knows he doesn’t have the height to make a jump; he mutters a quick prayer as the world ceases to spin with a loud crash.

Last edited:

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Wow...that was an amazingly written post. I got emotional and stuff with Gerald's self sacrifice for his friend and the mission, got me all patriotic and emotional and...stuff :) Great writting ledded

ledded

Herder of monkies
Broccli_Head said:
I know...I'm such a fanboy when it comes to Comic Books. Ya know gettin' tired of the same ol' fantasy stuff
Cool, my very first fanboy :)

Seriously though, thanks for stopping by and adding some comments.

fenzer said:
Thanks Ledded. That was the best character background yet. Thanks for putting this together. I look forward to your next update.
Thanks again Fenzer, I appreciate your subscription :). It just wouldnt feel like a Story Hour without you stopping by every now and then. I'm glad you enjoyed Eyas/John Brighton's backstory, I had a lot of fun writing that one.

Eyas said:
hmmm....seems I have a tendancy to crash the planes I am flying.... ;)
Heh. And we havent even mentioned the C-47 yet, have we? ;)

Hope you enjoyed the background.

Salthorae said:
Wow...that was an amazingly written post. I got emotional and stuff with Gerald's self sacrifice for his friend and the mission, got me all patriotic and emotional and...stuff :) Great writting ledded
Wow. What can I say... thanks for the kind words, that's one to frame for me :). You should have seen how p*ssed Eyas/John was when they shot down his wingman, then when he realized he wouldnt get a good crack at that last BF109. He's *still* talking about getting back up in a Mustang and dogging it out with some Nazis.

Thanks all for the encouragement, it makes it a bit easier to write stuff.

Also, I have digital pictures of various scenes in this battle from our game table, and even though several of the tank models were unfinished at that time I'm going to post 'em up somewhere real soon if anyone wants to see them. You'll get to see just what kind of terrain geeks we really are :)

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
So far, this is such an amazing piece of prose. In fact I'd rather see less if the final product is of such good quality!

I'm really gettin' into the characters...can't think which one is my favorite yet, though.

Ding-dangit! D-day the Hedgerow fighting gets me all misty-eyed. :(

It's like I'm seeing Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers all over again.

Oh, BTW how do you do vehicle combat? Maybe I haven't read d20 Modern enough, but I don't remember it.

Last edited:

fenzer

Librarian, Geologist, and Referee
Broccli_Head, you be careful now. You're liable to give old ledded a big head. :D

Big head or no, the praise is spot on. Excellent work ledded, your writing is descriptive and flows easily. It is a joy to read.

By the by, what rules, if any, are you using for air combat? I have to say that Pinnacle's air combat rules in Dead From Above are excellent. They way you wrote out air combat lead me to believe that perhaps you used those rules. True?

Thanks for the update but post soon you old koot (I can say that because I guess you are about my age. If not, I'm going to feel real sheepish), I aint getting any younger.

By the by, thanks for the kind words. I have the easy job though, you're the one with the blistered fingers and the brain cramps. I just sit back and enjoy the ride, and a damn good one to boot.

Last edited:

Remove ads