• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E We Would Hate A BG3 Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
So: My-way-or-the-highway-ism. Screw compromise. Screw cooperation. Screw being respectful to one another. The DM is absolute master; be glad you even get to play in their game!
No, but it goes both ways. I sometimes think you don’t really read a post before you respond.

I also think there is space in our community for all types of games, DMs, and players; and all players and DM do not have to sync with each other. That is just human and natural.

I don’t think a DM or a olayer should have to compromise- if they are not willing to. They can both say “my way or the highway,” and that is ok - but compromise is generally better IMO.

To quote Uncle Ben with great power comes great responsibility. The DM has the power to do a lot of things - including just saying "Rocks fall and everyone dies". But if they ever do that something has gone badly wrong somewhere.
That's true. I don't see how this applies to the case of a problematic player approaching the table with a disruptive request though.
Are you sure?
Am I sure that a DM establishing a game world that restricts certain character options is not a red flag? Yeah, pretty positive actually. It's quite common.
Because the normal result of a bad player is that they get pitched out - but a common result of bad DMs is players not coming back. Understanding the actual situation is one of many problems with D&D being such a fragmented community.
Agreed.

One thing I never understand about this whole argument is how freakin' obsessed people are with picking a race. Compared to all the decisions you can make during the character build phase, much less the freedom of direction and choices you make during a campaign, it's really danged insignificant.
Your race is (a) pretty much immutable and (b) visible. It's something fundamental to your character that you almost can't change unlike e.g. your class. It's therefore a very foundational decision. And race can be a metaphor for a whole lot of things, and turn them up to 11 without actually hitting real world triggers.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Ye gods @Zardnaar , this is such a settled question with only a single valid answer, why bring it up again when all it does it cause discord?

Kitchen sink settings like FR are popular enough to be reprinted over multiple editions. They sell. That's a right way of doing it.

Curated choice settings like Dark Sun are popular enough to be reprinted over multiple editions. They sell. That's a right way of doing it.

Period.

Everyone can and should have a preference towards how much they like either of them. But any and every attempt to say one is the only right way, or that everyone has the same opinion, such as "We Would Hate A BG3 Campaign" is canonically wrong with no opportunity for wriggle room.

Bringing it up can do nothing but cause discord and warring. It's edition wars writ small.

Your race is (a) pretty much immutable and (b) visible. It's something fundamental to your character that you almost can't change unlike e.g. your class. It's therefore a very foundational decision. And race can be a metaphor for a whole lot of things, and turn them up to 11 without actually hitting real world triggers.
If you've entered a game that has real world triggers for you, I'd suggest finding another game quickly.

MGibster

Legend
My only standing restriction for races in D&D in my games is that you can't pick something that flies naturally. I just don't want to deal with it. Otherwise I don't usually care because it really doesn't matter what race you play. Even in BG3 where your race might come into play one way or the other, it's so minor. Usually when I have a problem with what race a player wants it's in other games. Like I want to run a vampire game and someone decides he wants to play a werewolf. Or when a player decides to make a character that doesn't fit into the campaign concept at all. We were going to run a GURPS Martial Arts campaign back in the mid 1990s, but one player insisted on being the gun guy and ruined it for everyone else. We just ended up playing something different.

My only standing restriction for races in D&D in my games is that you can't pick something that flies naturally. I just don't want to deal with it. Otherwise I don't usually care because it really doesn't matter what race you play. Even in BG3 where your race might come into play one way or the other, it's so minor. Usually when I have a problem with what race a player wants it's in other games. Like I want to run a vampire game and someone decides he wants to play a werewolf. Or when a player decides to make a character that doesn't fit into the campaign concept at all. We were going to run a GURPS Martial Arts campaign back in the mid 1990s, but one player insisted on being the gun guy and ruined it for everyone else. We just ended up playing something different.
These decisions are all about: "We all have a certain time to devote to this. Let's not make life any harder than it needs to be." I would think it's super fun to play a flying character. I've never done it. If I entered your game and I learned that wasn't an option, it would bum me out. But I would find another character to play if I'd agreed to play in this world. It's about respecting yourself... but also others. Make a decision in your head about what's more important. If 'you' is more important than 'they' (and it can, and will, be, in certain (omfg italics!) circumstances) go out there and fire that rocket. But think hard before you do that. Recognise that you are part of a greater whole. That's all I'm saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads