• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E We Would Hate A BG3 Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I don't believe @EzekielRaiden really has an issue with running your game how you (and your group) want to, but more about understanding why some DMs would deny player agency for what he might consider trivial reasons.

And for some of us (myself anyway), it is not about "group" agency, either. It is ultimately about DM's running the type of game they want to run. As a DM (and all the DM's I've played with), DMs do a lot more work and have much more responsibility towards creating and running an enjoyable game for the entire group (the DM included!), not just for the players.

If a player want so play a certain race, or use features from a certain book, I (as DM) have the right to veto that choice--for whatever reason. Some might find those reasons trivial or whims, others might not. But, regardless of the reason, if I feel those choices will greatly lessen the enjoyment I have from running the game, I won't allow them. If the requests are not as big an issue (they might bug me, but I can live with it), then I'll allow them. But, in the long run, I am running the game and ultimately it is my decision.

Now, if a player doesn't feel I am being fair, or ruining their game, they can voice their concerns. If we can't reach a middle-ground of some sort, they can go or stay as they want. If they stay and begin to ruin the fun for others, I won't invite them back.

However, I (as a PLAYER) will abide by whatever rules, limitations, etc. the DMs I play with choose. My enjoyment as a player (given how little time I put into it before hand) is not limited by my choices of races, rules, or whatever. I can always find something I'll like. However, if (after playing a few times) I realize the DM's style (yes, italics are great...) don't appeal to me, I will thank them for the game, but bow out and move on--even if they are friends. (And fortunately, we can remain friends despite our differences. ;) )

I won't ever tell others how to play. I might ask so I understand, but their game is up to them. If I like it, awesome, if not, such is life.
Yeah, it really depends on the situation. In a recent campaign, I had a player request to play a Loxodon. I didn't have a place in my setting (entirely scratch-built over a period of several years) for loxodons, and wasn't particularly excited about making one to accommodate the player. But ultimately I didn't see their request as all that disruptive, and the player was aware of just how functionally unique their PC would be and was ok with it, so I said yes. I stand by my belief that I was well within my rights as a DM to say no, but I try not to.

I don't believe @EzekielRaiden really has an issue with running your game how you (and your group) want to, but more about understanding why some DMs would deny player agency for what he might consider trivial reasons.

It doesn't matter if the reasons are trivial or not. If the group has agreed to it, then any reason is correct and applicable for that group. In fact, it's not his place, as an outsider, to judge, or even suggest, that a reason is trivial or not. That's solely for the members of the group to decide, within their own social contract. If the group has decided that the DM will roll up their characters for them, and then narrate to them, in second person form, the entire adventure with no input from them at all, then that's their decision. If the group has decided that the players choose what monsters they fight, what treasure they receive, and that they can just go "we win" as soon as a fight starts without rolling a single die, with no input from the DM then, again, that's their decision. And we, as outsiders, have no say - and, indeed, have no right to have a say - in how that group runs their game.

Zardnaar

Legend
Mamba. My words have been twisted, repeatedly, in this very thread, to depict me as some horrible nasty player that is actively trying to destroy other peoples' joy.

The word twisting began several dozen posts ago.

You're the one doing the twisting.

My ancient Greek game is tech level 432BC, exceptions exist you have to go find it.

The rules in using only have the AD&D races. Elves and Dwarves do exist the rest are rare.

A fompromisue woukd be asking what else can I be. The rules don't exist for any other races. At least I don't own them.

I found let you pick a race from the Complete Book of humanoids maybe if it's easily converted and fits the theme eg a centaur would theoretically be fine.

Not the Greek theme was requested by a new player, not all of my established players were interested as it wasn't a 5E game. They're playing a Curse of Strahd gane DM basically said human and human like races vastly preferred.

If you joined the Greek game once it wraps up you get the chance to suggest a theme.
I would suggest Eberron or FR. Pretty much everything is fine except flyers and I'm gonna ban some Tashas archetypes mostly clerics.

Soft ban on most of what's left of Tashas. That means you can ask and I'll consider. I nay allow it but say something like don't expect much support in the game mechanically eg magic items.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah, it really depends on the situation. In a recent campaign, I had a player request to play a Loxodon. I didn't have a place in my setting (entirely scratch-built over a period of several years) for loxodons, and wasn't particularly excited about making one to accommodate the player. But ultimately I didn't see their request as all that disruptive, and the player was aware of just how functionally unique their PC would be and was ok with it, so I said yes. I stand by my belief that I was well within my rights as a DM to say no, but I try not to.

I've been wanting to see a Loxodon in play for a while.

One idea I've had is anthromorphic race campaign. Planet of the Apes style. Plus lizardfolk, loxodons, tabaxi etc.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem

One idea I've had is anthromorphic race campaign. Planet of the Apes style. Plus lizardfolk, loxodons, tabaxi etc.
My friend played a loxodon rogue in our lockdown games, it was fun because he had a 5 dexterity but was strong enough to still hit hard. His Stealth checks were people not talking about the elephant in the room.

Zardnaar

Legend
My friend played a loxodon rogue in our lockdown games, it was fun because he had a 5 dexterity but was strong enough to still hit hard. His Stealth checks were people not talking about the elephant in the room.

Lol. I did design a hypothetical strength based rogue. Never built it.

jgsugden

Legend
... BG3 has been a big hit. But consider.

Curated list of phb options.
PHB races plus Githyanki only. DM changed them as well.
Capped at level 12
Only floating ability scores from Tashas.
No feats at level 1 allowed.
Curated list of Xanathars options.

Game like that would get you crucified here on the forums since I'm a tyrannical LN type DM....

You're confusing the 'core rules' of a game with the house rules a DM uses. Buying BG3 is like accepting the DM's invitation to play in their game. Larian doing nothing to stop you from using Mods to alter the game to fit your goals is like the DM allowing you to do something via house rules.

Mods - the equivalent of house rules - allow you to change BG3 to:

• Expand race options, including human variant.
  • Level cap of 20.
  • Pretty much every subclass and race from Xanathar's.

... and Larian, our 'DM', is doing nothing to stop the mods. They've even applauded some of them here and there.

ezo

Where is that Singe?
Sure, I've run into such situations for "unique" PCs without a basis in my games, so I allow the "pulled from another world and trying to get home" or some such things unless I object to the race for other reasons (I know many DMs don't allow races with flight, for example).

That's solely for the members of the group to decide, within their own social contract.
"Social contract"? :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:

ezo

Where is that Singe?

A friend of mine I play with made a "Zootopia" style contenient in his world to accomodate all the animal-hybrid races. They are rarely seen elsewhere in the world, and in some places only considered a myth, but they are there so you can play them if you want.

One guy played a loxodon Monk from there a couple years ago. It was interesting using the trunk for unarmed strikes LOL. (I've never been sure if that was allowed RAW, but the DM went with it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads