• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapon Focus

Maliki

First Post
I'm not that familar with 3e so I thought I would ask the experts :)

If I take "weapon focus" dagger, I get a +1 attack bonus, would this apply in both melee and if I chose to throw the dagger as well. Also would a seperate feat be needed to have weapon focus with a punch dagger, or is this included under dagger.

Thanks in advance for all feedback :)

Crothian

First Post
Weapon Focus applies to any attack roll made with the weapon no matter if it is thrown or used in melee. However, it applies only to the one weapon and a punching dagger is a different weapon then a dagger.

likuidice

First Post
The feat gives you more versitality. You will be armed in all situations, while otyher characters who rely more on a bow/larger melee weapon combination will need to switch weapons. Also bear in mind that if you have multiple attacks, you can use the dagger in both ranged and melee combat, for example, if you have 2 attacks, you use one melee attack, kill your opponent, and there is another opponent within range, you can switch your remaining attack to ranged and throw the dagger at another opponent, it's useful to get quick draw if you want to go this route though.

Maliki

First Post
Thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought of one melee/one missile attack. I do plan on using the dagger both as a melee weapon(off hand) and as my missile weapon as well. I hadn't thought of the quickdraw feat but will take a look at it.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Well another problem is that if you're going the TWF route, you're constantly throwing away your ammo. Plus, at higher levels, you're going to have to buy a lot of magical weapons to keep up.

You'd probably really want to get the feat Sense Weakness from the Draconomicon so that you can hope to bypass DR.

Felnar

First Post
in Arcana Unearthed, there are alternate rules for weapon groups. If your DM used these, your weapon focus give +1 with both dagger and punching dagger. However, thrown daggers are in a different weapon group than melee daggers, so you'd loose the +1 on thrown daggers.

Maliki

First Post
We're going by just the PHB, so anything from other books is off limits. :D

In melee I will be going twf, club and dagger.

Starting feats twf, weapon focus club, and weapon focus dagger.

Coredump

Explorer
Why not just a dagger in both hands? Seems to make more sense.

Also, Rapid shot will let you get an extra attack in by throwing one of the daggers.

Remove ads