• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapon Focus

Maliki

First Post
I just wanted to use a club(Nobody ever uses a club)

Rapid shot is on my list of feats to pick up, if I live long enough. My character concept for this guy will probably bite the dust in a few weeks, but it will be a fun couple of weeks.

My players(I normally Dm) are starting to irk me with thier min/max of everything, so this guy is a loose cannon. If there is a door, he's kicking it open, a room full of ocrs he's charging. He may not live long, but he will live.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I'd suggest asking if you could use a wooden mace instead of a club. You're going to be in serious need of damage (unless you're a 20-Str half-orc or something).

mr_outsidevoice

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
Well another problem is that if you're going the TWF route, you're constantly throwing away your ammo. Plus, at higher levels, you're going to have to buy a lot of magical weapons to keep up.

At Higher levels, one could afford magic daggers with the returning property.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
mr_outsidevoice said:
At Higher levels, one could afford magic daggers with the returning property.
The returning property isn't that good, though. The teleporting property (XPH) is better, but I think still requires you to not move. And, still, that's spending a lot of money, especially when you have to spend it per dagger.

Coredump

Explorer
Maliki said:
I just wanted to use a club(Nobody ever uses a club)

Excellent reason. And I just noticed, you can throw a club also. Yeeeeehawww.

The cool thing about rapid shot, (with 6/1 BAB) you can get your two attacks with the club, then the extra (twf) attack with the dagger, and then *throw* one of them with Rapid shot.

Hope you have a great time with him.

Maliki

First Post
The game kicks off tonight so we'll see how things go.

Thanks (Coredump), I never noticed that you could also throw a club, I'll have to remember that.

My whole purpose of running this character how I plan to run him is to show my players that you can have a blast with characters that aren't maxed out, and that the smart thing to do isn't always the most thing. Lately thier characters all think like players, as a DM I don't care what Tim would do when faced with a group of orcs, I want to see what Redgar would do.

Palskane

First Post
Though this would fall under House Rules, it is something that my group seems to like really well.

Instead of just a +1 to hit with that weapon, I let Weapon Focus grant you a +1 BAB with that weapon. Only with that weapon of course, and I feel it helps that feat quite a bit ... giving you your extra attacks with it earlier. I have not found it to be unbalancing, and really lets a character shine if they concentrate or build their character around a specific weapon.

Maliki

First Post
That is an interesting idea(I like it) but, this is the DMs first major attempt at a campaign, so he is going strictly btb, just three core books.

Maliki

First Post
Well thanks for all the feedback on my original question. Just in case anyone cares :) the players in the group showed more life tonight than I had seen from them in a few months. Maybe it was just time for me to step from behind the screen for a while and let a fresh DM take over.

I started a thread in the the story hour about this character.(Maddog and Company)

Last edited:

Remove ads