D&D (2024) Weapon Masteries too Ubiquitous? New Fighter ability suggestion.

Clint_L

Hero
I am still hopeful that they will add maneuvers to the core fighter class.
I think that would be cool but I don't see it happening, which is why I pitched my suggestion as something that could be one new ability added at level 2, similar to how rogues got a new thing at level 5. It would pair nicely with action surge - they get one thing that primarily benefits themselves, and another that primarily benefits their group.

Right now, fighters are super vanilla, though I recognize that subclass choice probably impacts them more than most classes. They are kind of in a spot where they are good, but boring, and don't fully reflect the flavour of the class as described in their opening paragraph in the PHB:

A human in clanging plate armor holds her shield before her as she runs toward the massed goblins. An elf behind her, clad in studded leather armor, peppers the goblins with arrows loosed from his exquisite bow. The half-orc nearby shouts orders, helping the two combatants coordinate their assault to the best advantage.
That last sentence - make some of that leadership ability basic to the entire class, not just Battlemasters.

Shield master let's you prone enemies as a bonus action. I think topple might end up being downgraded slightly as at will toppling 2 or 3 times each round might turn out to be a bit much. Limiting it to once per round might be enough?
My prediction is it gets nerfed completely into the ground. After all, it's a Martial ability, and WotC, historically, has never suffered any even mediocre Martial CC to live unless it had a resource cost.

Pauln6

Hero
Cunning strikes look really fun but so versatile that it is a bit of a slap in the face for the fighter. Maybe sacrificing only 1d6 is a bit cheap. Weapon masteries are surprisingly fun but mean nothing special to the fighter if everyone else gets similar options. Getting 8 topples in a round is just advantage if your target goes down on your first hit.

Bearing in mind that any fresh abilities for fighters must not be easily poachable via multi-classing. I think options are:

Level 2
  • Action surge at level 2, replaced by Combat Surge a bonus action attack 2/short rest. Still synergises well with some types of TWF but not as useful to many multi-class combinations.
  • Fighting Withdrawal - Opponents suffer disadvantage to opportunity attacks to hit you

Level 5
Combat Tactics -
  • One ally who can see or hear you can re-roll initiative but must take the new roll.
  • One ally who can see or hear you can move 5 feet without provoking opportunity attacks.
  • The DC of your next disarm, push, overrun etc increases by 2.
  • Advantage on Strength or Charisma checks to intimidate an opponent who is on half hit points or fewer

Level 7
Advanced Combat Tactics
  • Any allies who can see or hear you can re-roll initiative but must take the new roll.
  • One ally who can see or hear you can move half their movement speed without provoking opportunity attacks.
  • A number of allies equal to your proficiency bonus takes half damage from area of effect damage
  • Advanced Combat Surge - as per action surge.

Level 11
Supreme Combat Tactics
  • Allies who can see or hear you gain advantage on initiative
  • Allies who can see or hear you can move half their movement speed without provoking opportunity attacks
  • Expertise on Intimidation checks
  • Bonus action to disarm, push, etc.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
They just added a new baseline ability to rogues.
Well, they have added one to fighter also but, I would be utterly astonished to see stuff like smites added to the base fighter. To subclasses yes, I could see that done where the subclasses are explicitly called out as magical. Like the Rune Knight.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
To be honest, as I was going over the document today. I could see weapon masteries being pulled back from several classes.
I think they are redundant on the monk without giving the monk more resources to exploit them. As it is the monk can barely exploit its own resources at low levels.

ChameleonX

Explorer
I notice that all the new classes only get two weapon Masteries, ever, so I'm thinking that will be the new model. Only the Fighter will ever get more than two, and only the Fighter will be able to swap them or double up on effects.

That said, I'm still holding out hope that they add some kind of "Greater Mastery" feature that adds more effects at higher levels that are Fighter-only.

Perhaps you could make them daily abilities on par with spells, so a Battlemaster would truly emulate the 4e Fighter with at-will (Mastery), encounter (maneuvers), and daily powers (greater mastery), as well as Indomitable, Second Wind, and Action Surge acting as utility powers.

jasper

Rotten DM
Grrr. Playtest 5 Fighters and their subclasses are boring, lets give them weapon mastery.
Playtest 6. EVERYONE LOVES WM. WM FOR ALL. fighters go back to being boring. I am getting tired of the playtest. Especially since most everything I dislike is being upvoted.

Grrr. Playtest 5 Fighters and their subclasses are boring, lets give them weapon mastery.
Playtest 6. EVERYONE LOVES WM. WM FOR ALL. fighters go back to being boring. I am getting tired of the playtest. Especially since most everything I dislike is being upvoted.
it's the exact same thing that happened with maneuvers in the next playtest. first it was to make fighters less boring, and they polled so well all the martials got them, and by the time 5e actually came out they were relegated to a single fighter subclass.

Remove ads