• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapons doing greater damage to Large Sized Creatures...why?

DaveyJones

First Post
William drake said:
Come on people...size matters *and yes, I know what I just said*
which is reflected in the increased HD and therefore hps the target has.

a normal human in 1edADnD had 1d6 hps.
a normal Hill Giant in 1edADnD had 8d8 + 1-2hps

a trained human had class levels.

a trained Hill Giant... got more HD and hps too. Chief or Subchief or Witchdoctor or Shaman or ... whatever the DM concocted. ;)

BryonD

Hero
diaglo said:
plus remember what hit points represent. they aren't health points mostly. only con has an effect on hit points for health reasons.

they are training points. ways to avoid vital damage.

so an Ogre.. 4 hd + 1 hp. means his size give him a bonus to attacks ( he attacks as someone trained like a hero) but he isn't necessarily trained to avoid the damage as well as a hero would be. he is just a big bruiser. not a trained fighter.

so while the size gave him a bonus to attack and he did more damage (1d10). he was still clumsy in a fight. the extra damage to large represents the Ogre exposing more vital areas.
So the size damage against all large creatures was there to correctly model ogres????

DaveyJones

First Post
BryonD said:
So the size damage against all large creatures was there to correctly model ogres????
nope. it was there to model hit points.

what do hit points in the game mean?

edit: take two 0 lvl normal men. make them twins. 1hp and another with 6hp. both with con of 9.

what does it mean when you look at them?

they should look the same physically.

but for purposes of combat. one is less trained. he is a clumsy combatant.

edit2: now apply hit points to Large monsters. like Ogres or Giants or Elephants

Last edited:

senodam

First Post
Big monsters have lots of hit points, as a general thing.

Some weapons do more damage to them so that it's a little easier to win a fight with them. The variance between the damage ratings vs speeds and what have you is there to make the choice of WPs important, and gives the Fighter a reason to spread out all 4 slots between different tactical choices.

William drake

First Post
green slime said:
I fear you are making a common mistake: thinking.

Games are meant to be enjoyed. Do you pay rent on a property that you accidentily visit in a car, with or without your tophat? And I'm not talking mere parking fees. Do you get $200 every time you pass a "Go" sign?

Yes, they are to be enjoyed. However, when they deal with realistic things "combat" it should make sense...board games make sense towards the constraints of the board game...they aren't trying to copy reality, while throwing in a dash of magic.

Make it make sense, that's all I'm saying: see my first post.

Remove ads