• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapons doing greater damage to Large Sized Creatures...why?

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Griffith Dragonlake said:
Personally I agree completely with piercing weapons doing more. I'm a little ambivalent on the whole bludgeoning weapon doing less. But broadswords should inflict the same for large and man-sized since they are slashing (hacking) weapons rather than bludgeoning.

A mace smashes a humans entire knee cap, but only knocks a few bone chips off the side of a giant's huge knee. The broad sword cuts a human across his entire front torso, leaving an 8 inch wide gash. It does the same to a giant, leaving an 18 inch gash.....

VirgilCaine said:
Hunters use hollowpoints or softpoints (bullets that expand for greater lethality) to ensure that the prey is killed quickly and cleanly. Using ball or full metal jacket bullets that might not kill the prey in one shot is considered bad sportsmanship (and thus is probably illegal under hunting regulations).

And the military uses FMJs because of the Hague Conventions which prohibit the use of "dum-dum" ammunition and expanding ammunition as a way of preventing "unneccesary suffering". But hollowpoints are OK for law enforcement use and police regularly carry them, which leads to the silliness that a military policeman can use ammunition on his fellow soldiers that he can't (technically) use on the enemy ... but I digress.

Bottom line, game mechanics are intended to be an approximation of the real world that works in play, and realism usually does (and should IMO) take a back seat to playability. I never found the 1E rules for weapon damage based on size particularly elegant, though they worked.

ruleslawyer

JRRNeiklot said:
A mace smashes a humans entire knee cap, but only knocks a few bone chips off the side of a giant's huge knee. The broad sword cuts a human across his entire front torso, leaving an 8 inch wide gash. It does the same to a giant, leaving an 18 inch gash.....
And that's why the broad sword does 2d4 (2-8) to a human and 1d6+1 (2-7) to a giant in 1e.

Oy.

Ulrick said:
And yes, that is a cool scene in Excalibur...but I thought Mordred did the impaling and then Arthur pulled himself across the lance and plunged Excalibur thru Mordred's chest! And then it took Arthur at least several hours to die (while Perseval ran around trying to find a lake to throw Excalibur in) because the lance's full damage potential was wasted. Mordred should have used a big two-handed sword.

But then again they didn't have two-handed swords in the 5th century, nor did they have full plate armor or halberds...oh wait...it's just movie. ;)

Oh well, I got the idea! And now I want to see that movie again!

Thanks!
D’oh! I meant to say that Mordred impaled Arthur. Thanks Ulrick for the catch.

an_idol_mind said:
I can see the reasoning behind this statement, but I don't think the rules gel terribly well with that logic. If I recall, there were a good number of bludgeoning weapons that did more damage to large-sized creatures, too.
According to the AD&D PHB the following weapons do less damage v. Large opponents: Hand Axe, Bec de Corbin, Bo Stick, Club, Dagger, Dart, Guisarme, Lucern Hammer, Hammer, Jo Stick, Footman's Mace, Horseman's Mace, Morningstar, Horseman's Military Pick, and Broad Sword. The Footman's Flail does 2-7/2-8 and the Horseman's Flail does 2-5/2-5. These two flails are the only bludgeoning weapons that don't follow this logic.

William drake

First Post
Ulrick said:
Once I was told the reason why 1st and 2nd Edition weapons do greater damage to Large Creatures, but I have forgotten. Would somebody please refresh my memory?

I can see the logic in that large creatures have larger vital organs than medium sized creatures and thus weapons can puncture them better.

Yet this ability to do more damage to large creatures made monster like Ogres less threatening. I remember DMing 2E and describing an Ogre charging toward the party and the first words out of a player's mouth are "Awesome! It's a Large creature! My longsword can do 1d12 instead of 1d8!

Did Col_Pladoh explain his reason in one of the Q&A threads and I missed it?

I'd like to know because I'm thinking of running a 2E game to players who've only played 3E/3.5 and will probably ask that question.

First of all, I think that's stupid if it's true.

That means that I should go an attack and elephant because somehow I can chop through it’s leg easier than I can through a horses, which, has smaller bones, which are far less dense, and surrounded by less thick muscle. I think the rules might have been, you do more damage to bigger creatures because you HIT THEM MORE OFTEN, not that you do more damage each time you actually strike.

Doesn’t your attack die go down each level: if its bigger than you by one, your die goes down by one..and so on and so on, till the point, like your fighting something gargantuan, and its like your throwing spit balls at a building. (A man, with a bow, fighting a dragon)

Now, if you think you do more damage...than, like what someone else said, “trolls, ogers and even dragons” are less dangerous because you somehow get more of your edge upon them Think about it, you’ve got to be reading it wrong. Also, since they are bigger, shouldn’t they shrug off what little damage you can do to them, I mean for those of you who have younger brothers or sisters...how much damage could they do to you. They could kick and punch you, and it might hurt....but really, come on....now, if you turned back and wacked them a good one (not that Im saying you should..haha) but you’d put them down easy.

This point: you might cut and stab the crap out of a larger creature, and it may appear that you’re doing more damage, but your not. Your small, you damage is less by every size level smaller you are then your target. Which is why you need like a tank to take on a dragon, if not ..one good sword swipe and it goes down. (And Im not talking about you jacking a sword into its brain, or into the back of its spine, in those few sweet spots which youd prob never get at) AND if any of you play that, then your ruining the myth that is the DRAGON into the ground.

Have you every thought why big creatures aren’t very nimble....they are big, slow, but thick. They crush and step on, if not swat away their enemies without much fuss. Sure in LOTR the men of Rohan put down the great southern Tolkien Elephants with arrows, but they were hundreds of arrows, and I’d assume that they scared the creature, and made it fall. It’s still an animal, think about it: what would a real elephant do if say, it somehow ticked off a bee’s nest?
I mean, I cold stick you with a hundred toothpicks, but that doesn’t mean your dead. Your prob just pissed, and your skin stings..and later, you might get an infection.

Why does the fact that its biger makes it hurt more...more skin = more damage. Not true, you have to look at %, someone said that if you slice a person and it does 8inches of damage, its 18 inches to a Giant..sounds right, but...the Giant is twice your size, so the overall damge done to its body, is far less then what's done to yours. SO even though it might meassure out to be 18 inches, its prob what a human would feel as a knife wound.

so, to this example: fighting a Giant.
sword-knife
longsword-longknife
greatsword-shortsort or greatknife

now as for a spear...a weapon that is designed to hunt BEARS..and much larger cratures in more ancient days, I'd say that it do only a few points less...beause, unlike a bow..which the force would still be pushed out over a larger area upon impact. a Spear is a solid force that continues its enery through the target.

Point, you might kill a Bear with a spear by stabing it, but if you use a Dead Fall: the bear falls upon it forcing the weapon through its body, it dies. No Bow can fire a single arrow through a Bear...it might go in several inches..and perhaps, if you hit an important oragan, you might seriously wound it..which then, it should run away, or collapse. However, when hunting, youd prob get it lodged in its bone, or thick fat or muscle...AND THIS GOES FOR ALL LARGE CREATURES.

Another example:
take a sword, chop down a sapling...its gone
then chop a medium tree...one if not two swipes should fell it.
now chop down a tree that's your age, and Im in my mid twenties..so that tree would be about eight to 14inches thick..I'd need an ax...and more than two swings.
Now double that...soon it takes a lot of work to cut down a tree.
NOw get to an elder RED WOOD...it would take you, I dont know how long to chop it down with an ax....I'm not even sure you could do it.

The point is, each time your putting out the same amount of enery and force in your attack, but each time the target is getting biger, denser...and finally there is just to much area for what little you can put out to be effective.

Now, a tree doesn't have vitals..so yes, you could jab a crature in the eye, or in the brain...or kidney...or heart or w/e, but your still doing normal damge..the prob is, your now inside its body, so it should't take that much anways. Think about it. take a toothpick, and pic any part of your brain...what would happen if somehow it was to be lodged in there...youd either die, or be a veg...or, I know, some of your say..well you could be fine. True, but your missing my point.

Come on people...size matters *and yes, I know what I just said*

Last edited:

green slime

First Post
William drake said:

>snip<

I mean, I cold stick you with a hundred toothpicks, but that doesn’t mean your dead. Your prob just pissed, and your skin stings..and later, you might get an infection.

Come on people...

I fear you are making a common mistake: thinking.

Games are meant to be enjoyed. Do you pay rent on a property that you accidentily visit in a car, with or without your tophat? And I'm not talking mere parking fees. Do you get $200 every time you pass a "Go" sign?

dcas

First Post
William drake said:

That means that I should go an attack and elephant because somehow I can chop through it’s leg easier than I can through a horses, which, has smaller bones, which are far less dense, and surrounded by less thick muscle.
No, not quite, since an elephant has more hit points to begin with. So you'll do more damage to the elephant but less damage relative to its size and power.

And I don't have my books at hand but I'm fairly certain that an elephant has a lower armor class than a horse.

tx7321

First Post
Foster: "a footman's flail's large striking surface inflicts damage over a wider area, thus (perhaps?) making it more effective against a large opponent (such as a horse) than a weapon which concentrates its impact on a smaller area. Or something like that..."

Besides the sling I don't know of another blunt weapon that is used to take game in hunting. And the sling is used on small game, and if on large I assume the stone would be directed at the head only. Most hunting is done with a point. Swords probably do more damage then spears because presumably a sword allows for more "sword play" if under attack. In real life it seems like if you were being attacked by a wild boar a spear would give you one hit (and would then get stuck in the tissue) where a sword might allow for many swings (esp. over a minutes time).

Remove ads