• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapons of Legacy

Tauric

First Post
That method is pretty much what I thought of doing, until I found out about the book, and wondered how it did things. And yeah, I planned on budgeting the upgrades into the treasure handed out.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
in one table top game we have some3 weapons of rather great poser. to keep from being over powered , the dm ahs achart showing effects and costs, then figures out what power is next gained by sthe sword by calculating the worth of the sword as being no more then 1/2 of the total character worth.

Does that make sense?

powers of the sword grow with the character's growth.

Chronologist

First Post
Yeah Scott DeWar, I'm proposing the same thing, only limiting it to 1/4 of total character wealth. It's what I use, and it works really well. For example, in my 6th level game I'm soon starting, character wealth is 13,000 gp (as normal), but the maximum cost of any single item can't exceed 3,250 gp.

Chronologist

First Post
Yeah, at most a +1 weapon. Seriously, it works. I usually factor gold into the following:

1/4 to offensive gear (Weapons, ability boosters, pearls of power for casters)
1/4 to defensive gear (shields, armor, protection items)
1/4 to expendable income (wands, staves, scrolls, potions, etc.)
1/4 to miscellaneous costs (spellcaster services, advanced healing, tolls, mundane equipment)

I figure at most you could rule up to 1/3 total gold to any one item... but that stills makes a LOT more things available to characters of that level (+2 ability boosters, high level wands, etc). And if you have a magic item crafter... they could have REALLY good gear at 6th level.

But, back to the main topic, actually, I'd give the Legacy Weapon user a 20% discount to costs of his item. Why? Because they're set in stone, they can't be sold individually, you can't trade up to a better one mid-level, and one Sunder and you've lost a REALLY powerful item.

Tauric

First Post
(in the current campaign, my 13th level fighter only has a +1 battleaxe. he spend all his gold on armor. it didn't help him, he was turned into a ghost. i start playing a new character next session)

So, what I'm taking away from this is: there are other, perhaps easier ways of doing it that what's in the book, and, since it is a single item that would be a large loss if sundered, and also, to keep players happy, the costs should be at a discount.

I will take all this under consideration as I plan the campaign. I was crunching some numbers, and I don't know if the characters will ever get high enough level to unlock some of the abilities. I think I may be making the weapons too powerful.

pawsplay

Hero
What is the overall feeling about the mechanics in this book?

The second-worst set of mechanics published during the entire 3.5 lifespan. The so-called balanced costs are really nerfs.

Just as an example, there are a pair of weapons intended to be used as a set, gaining special powers. Of course, since each weapon inflicts its own to-hit penalty, and you will probably be applying -2 for TWF on top of that when you attack, really the net result is that your character will hit a good deal less often than their peers.

There is just something about "Sure, I would like -1 to all my saving throws so I can call lighting 1/day" that just doesn't quite work in the aggregate. It's like turning all the party members into members of badly designed prestige classes... which, of course, the book also features.

Chronologist

First Post
What would be the #1 worst designed mechanics, Incarnum? Truenaming? Shadow Magic?

Regardless, I'm currently playing a skillful combat type using the "one bad save" version to my Reflex saves, and it works out just fine. That, and the fact that the DM made the item totally free. Mostly because we're 6th level and average party wealth is less than 3,000 gp, and we haven't even used any consumable magic items yet.

Remove ads