• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapons of Legacy

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
To point out something said on the first age, WoL is bad because, quite frankly, taking -1 to attacks or -3/5 to hit points for a rather weak weapon abilitiy is a no-brainer - it's a no brainer that solidly states "No."

WoL is a good base idea that could've made for a decent web enhancement that was instead redesigned to punish non-casters for daring to try and be cool and then given lots, and lots, and lots of pages of utterly needless garbage/filler so it could be sold as a book.

pawsplay

Hero
In the Pathfinder context, clerics can take the trait that gives them their holy symbol as a birthmark.

I haven't used -- or seen used -- Vow of Poverty in play, but my group (finally) shed the "bound by the RAW" shackles that 3E somehow talked us into wearing, so I don't think it'd be a problem for us. Given that BoED is even more optional than most 3E material, and even clearly marked for mature players, the folks it's intended for can probably make it work fine.

Yes, but why would you WANT to? :eek:

pawsplay

Hero
To point out something said on the first age, WoL is bad because, quite frankly, taking -1 to attacks or -3/5 to hit points for a rather weak weapon abilitiy is a no-brainer - it's a no brainer that solidly states "No."

WoL is a good base idea that could've made for a decent web enhancement that was instead redesigned to punish non-casters for daring to try and be cool and then given lots, and lots, and lots of pages of utterly needless garbage/filler so it could be sold as a book.

Come on. Bullybasher's gauntlets. You know they're awesome, right? AWESOME, right? ;)

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Yes, but why would you WANT to?
Literally? Because I saw stuff from the book used in a fun story-hour. ("Age of Worms." Can't remember whose.)

Don't get me wrong, there's some ridiculous stuff in there. ("Ravages"? "Afflictions"? Give me a break.)

But it's not all bad.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post

There's one other sin that WoL committed.

Notice that the font size is actually larger than any of the other WotC hardcover releases.

Seriously, go look. It's like they didn't even have enough to fill up the book and then upped the font to fill the page count.

It's a real pity, I was looking forward to it. Once I saw it, though, I kept thinking about buying it, and kept realizing that, no, I'd probably get better use out of going to the massage chair in the mall and dumping $30 in there.

Brad

Tauric

First Post
Okay, back on topic and to check my math, also to solicit advice on when/how the ablilities are unlocked, I present to you Rohuna, the sword of wind (crunch only):

The sword starts out at a +1 longsword (2,315)

It then gains the following abilities:

Gust of Wind 5/day; 2nd level spell * 3rd level caster * 1,800 * 1 = 10,800

Wind Wall 3/day; 3rd level spell * 5th level caster * 1,800 * 3/5 = ,16,200

Whirlwind 1/day; 8th level spell * 15th level caster * 1,800 * 1/5 = 43,200

For a total cost of: 63,065
(43,200+12,150+5,400=60,750+2,315)

So, going with my group’s convention of no more than 1/3rd of wealth on any one item, the earliest someone could own a fully powered Rohuna is somewhere between 14th and 15th level.

If Gust of Wind was the only ability, then it should not be available until 8-9th level, but since if I give them the sword around 4th level, when we usually find a magic weapon, then that is at least 4 levels before unlocking the first ability. Does that sound reasonable? But how then do I determine when they would get the rest of the powers? Whirlwind would be appropriate at around level 13 or so, but that seems too soon, if I give the first ability 8th or 9th, since I would have to give Wind Wall in the middle of those levels.

If I give out a new ability every 4 levels, starting at 4th, then Gust of Wind at 8th, Wind Wall at 12th, and Whirlwind at 16th, I think that would be a fair progression, but would anyone accept that as a player?

Jhaelen

First Post
But I'm not fond of the solution of charging the PC for the equivalent of the powers as they advance them. If you're going to do that, why bother with legacy weapons? Why not just have them get them enchanted by someone with the right feat in the first place? The feel of doing so places us right back with standard magic item purchase and procurement in 3e D&D, and that's not where I wanted to be.
Well, the advantage is that all powers are concentrated in a single item, leaving all your (other) item slots free for additional neat stuff.

I have not mentioned it, but with my rule you also end up making a bargain because when calculating the item cost I don't use the multiplier for adding enchantments to a magic item.

So, enchanting a normal item with the same package of powers would be very expensive indeed.

There's an additional advantage: Weapons of Legacy are extremely difficult to destroy.

If the WoL happens to be intelligent, there's yet another advantage since it can use any of its powers (and skills) for you, saving your precious actions for something else.

Chronologist

First Post
Okay Tauric, that looks like a really good weapon, I just have a couple of ideas.

1: Have the weapon gain gradually better enhancement bonuses. It should probably end up around a +5 total enhancement bonus, to keep it in line with what other characters get.

2: Consider giving lower numbers of uses per day, then increasing the uses over time. Remember, 5/day uses is the same cost as infinite uses on command, consider that with the Gust of Wind ability (1/day at 6th level, +1 use per 2 levels, infinite use at 14th level). Personally, I think that stronger spells should be once/day, with weaker spells bing 3/day uses at most.

3: Consider giving other wind-related spells and effects, like Whispering Wind, Protection from Arrows, Fly, etc. Even if only once per day, a little flavor goes a long way towards making a fun and interesting item.

Tauric

First Post
Chronologist, I had the same thought about the enhancement bonus, I just wasn't sure when to do it. Whispering Wind is too passive a spell, and I'm saving Fly for another weapon, but I will add it Protection from Arrows, as it fits the backstory perfectly.

Everyone, how does this progression sound:

4th level: +1 longsword

6th level: gains Protection from Arrows 1/day

8th level: +2 longsword

10th level: gains Gust of Wind 3/day

12th level: +3 longsword

14th level: Wind Wall 3/day

16th level: +4 longsword

18th level: Whirlwind 1/day

20th level: +5 longsword

So, balanced, broken, if so, suggested repairs?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Looks definitely better, to me.

Slight threadjack: the Ancestral Relics I mentioned on pages 1 & 2 in this thread which will be featured in my Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story setting is now a definite. This Friday, a free download from Rite Publishing will be posted that includes a preview of these Ancestral Relics. There will be one samurai weapon, one samurai woman's courtly item (folding fan) and one commoners tool, all of the Ancestral Relic properties.

I intend to include many weapons and items in the final product release, however, you can download a Preview this Friday - end threadjack...

GP

Remove ads