• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weird Orgy comment on DnD Beyond Home Page Video

Yaarel

He-Mage
Heh, the above post was way, way, way ninjaed.

More seriously. When dealing with kids and sensitive issues, answer a question honestly at the level that they ask the question. Normally, there is no need to volunteer information, unless safety is a concern.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
It is funny to see Americans comfortable with violence but paranoid about sex.

Scandinavians are the opposite.

The funny thing is Americans don't want to be paranoid about sex. Most want to partake as often as possible with their person or persons of choice. For whatever reason, most folks can't wrap their heads around the idea of admitting it to others.

Fine by me, I'm happy to pick up the slack. Orgy ahoy.

KB

ad_hoc

(they/them)
As long as it is all consensual there is nothing wrong with an orgy.

I don't think it is reasonable to ask for no references to sex be present in media. Heck, Disney movies are mostly about sex.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I have standards about what my children read and see.

I do not see D&D as anything other than entertainment in this sense that I need to monitor. Hell, I don't want my children reading some of what is in the PHB without guidance.

So as with everything else, its on me as a parent. I do not like a lot of the things other people hand wave away. Some of it seems wrong to me and for my children to be exposed to.

Enter parenting. My kids are not allowed to surf the damn net without my guidance. Its on me. I relate to the OP in a sense but I am so damned libertarian in my leanings that I can't fathom leaving parenting to WOTC or ENWorld or whatever.

And I don't care if another culture thinks my taboos are silly. I think I am right just like they do. The bottom line is if I want my children protected from media, I will protect them.

epithet

Explorer
I hadn't seen Kate Welch give an interview before this DDB vid. I came away with a positive impression.

If you are hell-bent on keeping your kids insulated from everything that might encourage a naughty thought, then you shouldn't let them watch YouTube videos, ever. I have zero sympathy for any effort to keep D&D or its related media sanitized and strictly "family friendly." It irks me. I grew up with the AD&D monster manual and the original Deities and Demigods, so I can only roll my eyes when people get all indignant over innocuous vague references to "adult themes." I can't help but suspect that if the moralizers would take as much time to give honest context and understanding to their kids as they do trying to shelter them, those kids would have a much better go of it.

Dausuul

Legend
As long as it is all consensual there is nothing wrong with an orgy.

I don't think it is reasonable to ask for no references to sex be present in media. Heck, Disney movies are mostly about sex.
Yeah, all joking aside, I don't agree with the OP at all. It's not as if Ms. Welch was graphically describing an orgy; she just used the word in an offhand comment. We do not need to be scrubbing interviews to remove the mere word "orgy."

D&D Beyond requires users to be 13 or older. That's more than enough of a "content warning." If you don't want your 13-year-old to encounter references to sex in media... well, that's your prerogative as a parent, but in that case it's your job to police the content they consume, not anyone else's to self-censor.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I hadn't seen Kate Welch give an interview before this DDB vid. I came away with a positive impression.

If you are hell-bent on keeping your kids insulated from everything that might encourage a naughty thought, then you shouldn't let them watch YouTube videos, ever. I have zero sympathy for any effort to keep D&D or its related media sanitized and strictly "family friendly." It irks me. I grew up with the AD&D monster manual and the original Deities and Demigods, so I can only roll my eyes when people get all indignant over innocuous vague references to "adult themes." I can't help but suspect that if the moralizers would take as much time to give honest context and understanding to their kids as they do trying to shelter them, those kids would have a much better go of it.

hello tanarri or whatever the hell they were (1/2 the reason I avoided 2nd edition).

My parents DID put things in context and discussed their views on things and asked what I thought.

It was their job then and now its mine.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I'm not particularly overprotective of my kids
If your kids have listened to gansta rap, they've already heard this and worse.

If your kids do not listen to gangsta rap, then you (and your eardrums) are fortunate.

P.S. I think the average level of protectiveness has dropped to 'almost non-existent' and more protectiveness of kids would be a benefit to society.

Remove ads