• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weird problem with Firefox

RichCsigs

First Post
I love Firefox and haven't stopped using it despite this, but I've been having one problem with it no matter what version I'm using.

My bookmarks keep disappearing.

I can find no common factor for this to happen. At first I thought it might be Ad-Aware or Spybot making it happen but that wasn't it. It doesn't matter if I use plug-ins or not. And the time it happens isn't constant either (ie - not something like every two months). Anyone have a guess as to why this is happening?

Oh, I have Windows XP on a Gateway laptop with an Intel Celeron 2.40 GHz (if that matters).

Last edited:

GeorgeFields

Explorer
We've had this happen to us in the past. Unfortunately, neither of us can remember what we did to fix it. Look through the options and such. For some reason, I'm thinknig something there was causing it.

Sorry I couldn't be much help. :(

XCorvis

First Post
My suggestion is to back up your bookmarks, note your settings and uninstall firefox completely. Also delete the c:\Documents and settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Firefox folder. Then install the latest version and re-import your bookmarks. Starting from scratch like this should eliminate the possibility that some corrupt, left-over setting from an early version is causing the problem.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
If I recall properly the Stumble Upon extension had a patch to fix that problem, apparently it was doing vanishing acts with some computers' bookmarks. It happened a few times with my roommate's computer, but has never happened yet with mine.

The Auld Grump

RichCsigs

First Post
I think I'm going to give the uninstall/re-install thing a try. I don't see anything in options that could be causing it and I don't have the extension that needs the patch.

When my bookmarks disappear my extensions don't disappear, but they do act like I just installed them. There is no frequency to when this happens. Its happened as often as everytime I turn on Firefox for a week to not happening for months at a time (I honestly can't remember the last time it happened until it happened to me again last week).

Remove ads