• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weird Question (Disguise & Undead)

Psimancer

First Post
Could one use the disguise skill against undead and/or to appear undead? I have a player trying to do this but can find no real reason to rule against it, apart from applying a penalty to the check. Thoughts?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
No problem with it, unless they have an ability like the Dread Wraith's Lifesense:
Lifesense (Su): A dread wraith notices and locates living creatures within 60 feet, just as if it possessed the blindsight ability. It also senses the strength of their life force automatically, as if it had cast deathwatch.

-Hyp.

Psimancer

First Post
And what penalty would you impose? The -2 for Different Race seems too little given the differentiation between types (breathing, heartbeat, etc). I was thinking more along the lines of -5 (Different Type) at a minimum...

Lasher Dragon

First Post
From the SRD:
Hide from Undead
Abjuration
Level: Clr 1
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Targets: One touched creature/level
Duration: 10 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless); see text
Spell Resistance: Yes
Undead cannot see, hear, or smell the warded creatures. Even extraordinary or supernatural sensory capabilities, such as blindsense, blindsight, scent, and tremorsense, cannot detect or locate warded creatures. Nonintelligent undead creatures are automatically affected and act as though the warded creatures are not there. An intelligent undead creature gets a single Will saving throw. If it fails, the subject can’t see any of the warded creatures. However, if it has reason to believe unseen opponents are present, it can attempt to find or strike them. If a warded creature attempts to turn or command undead, touches an undead creature, or attacks any creature (even with a spell), the spell ends for all recipients.

Now there is also a low-level arcane spell that does something similar... I believe it was in Tome & Blood, but it may have been updated in CA or LM... I know it exists because I used it to survive the ordeal required to become a Pale Master. Feign Death? I think that's what it was called... I can't remember.

Sorry I know you were asking about Disguise checks... but this seems like such a simple alternative. :D

StealthyMark

First Post
Psimancer said:
And what penalty would you impose? ... -5 (Different Type)...
That's exactly the right figure. After all, the PCs are a different type.

Though, depending on the coolness factor, I might apply no penalty at all.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
StealthyMark said:
That's exactly the right figure. After all, the PCs are a different type.

Except as far as I can tell, he made that figure up :) It's not in the description of the Disguise skill :)

-Hyp.

Remove ads