Welcome to the 5th anniversary!

Enkhidu

Explorer
Michael Morris said:
Bright white stripe? Missing pattern?? Sounds like you're missing some images - hit refresh on the browser to reload all the images.

I'm getting the same thing on 3 different browsers and 2 computers.

talinthas

First Post
it's like that for me too, MM. i've been browsing the board for a good half hour, and not a single thread i've checked today hasn't had a white strip dividing each post. it's very distracting.

Enkhidu

Explorer
OK - let me preface by saying something really quickly: I in no way disapprove of the methods being used to test and poll changes to the default scheme (or, in fact any of the schemes). In general, I like them, though I think that even if I didn't like them its not my place as a guest of the board managment to second guess their choice of drapes. In addition, I have been on the receiving end of the gripes associated with IT change more times than I like to remember. So, please take what comes next as constructive criticism meant to help make your (and by this I'm talking mostly to MM, who gets the brunt of the flak - MM, I've always thought you've done professional level design, though I haven't always agreed with your go-live methodology. please remember that when you read this) volunteer filled lives a bit easier...

I'm positive that you can make less grief for yourself by implementing two things: 1) public beta testing and 2) one week's lead time warning of a major style change in the default. Both could be handled very easily during the same period - simply make the new scheme available during a "soft opening" and then make it the default one week later.

I'm fairly sure that this will ruffle fewer feathers, give you ample time to test the new scheme in different environments far more completely than you can in yout test bed, and provide smoother transitions. I hope that it helps.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Not sure if this is what other people are seeing, but when I view the boards using the "Slate" theme, the lower box of each post (where the "Online Now", "Report Bad Post", "Quote" and "Quick Reply" buttons live) is solid white, and the background image (the repeating ENWorld logo) is covered with a dark grey background from the toolbar on down.

I see this on both Firefox 1.0 and Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows XP. It's definitely NOT a caching issue -- the white box appears on refresh, and the background image DOES load (I can see it before the main table draws, and it's visible above the toolbar), it just gets covered up with a solid background.

That said, I'm really glad to see the "Slate" theme provided so quickly. I also think Enkhidu's recommendations are sensible ones. I don't mind folks twiddling themes, indeed I'd like to encourage it, but it's also important to let people get out of the site what they want and need.

BSF

Explorer
It does depend on the theme. I see the white bar on Slate, but not on the default or the Player's Handbook theme. My private forum here also has it. Hmm, maybe I should check the settings on the admin side for that. I am probably overriding the theme.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Michael Morris said:
Bright white stripe? Missing pattern?? Sounds like you're missing some images - hit refresh on the browser to reload all the images.
I'm pretty much getting the same thing, if I understand what he is saying. The white bar is very shocking to the eye and draws it away from the actual posts. I don't see any texture except at the very top.

Oh, heck. I've attached a Jpg of my screen to try and be helpful, instead of trying to incompetently describe what I'm seeing. :heh:

Keep up the good work!

Attachments

• ENWorld.jpg
    ENWorld.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 74

RuminDange

First Post
Michael, thanks for supplying the other themes so quickly. The slate is much faster on the slower connections.
I also get the write bar between posts. Looking at the page source, the problem is likely in the alt3 css class used for the table data that contains the status icons and qutoe/reply buttons. Possible typo or something missing. Hope that helps.

Thanks.
RD

Michael Morris

First Post
Y'know, with 6 stylesets if there's a problem with a set it sorta helps if you specify. The slate set is NO LONGER the default. Referring to it as such only confuses me.

Remove ads