• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Were wizards more secondary stat based in the playtest?

Flazzy

First Post
Seems to me like there's a dissonance between the fluff in the wizard's character builds and the actual powers.
War Wizard: "Dexterity should be your second-best score" - but all it does is influence Wand of Accuracy (and the Battlemage's Arcane Reposte) and it even conflicts with Intelligence for your AC and Reflex.
Whereas Wisdom affects the whole lot of Orb of Imposition, Cloud of Daggers, Thunderwave and Confusion (and the Spellstorm Mage's Storm Spell and Storm Fury).

Now I recall Thunderlance used to be based on Wisdom in the sample PHB pages in DDXP, so were Wizards once more Warlockish in their Multi Ability Dependance?

Bolongo

Herr Doktor
I dunno, the DDEXP Wizard is the only pre-gen we've seen who's actually minimaxed. 20 Int FTW! ;)

TBH most of the builds contain pretty naff suggestions, I would never use any of them as written.

cdrcjsn

First Post
Flazzy said:
were Wizards once more Warlockish in their Multi Ability Dependance?

Wizard MAD is hidden in the feats that they want to take. If they want certain abilities from feats (especially at the Paragon/Epic levels) they'll need to start off with higher stats in certain ability scores.

So yeah, it's not explicitly stated in the Wizard description, but if you read the feats section, you'll want a certain stat array depending on what type of wizard you plan to become.

Rechan

Adventurer
cdrcjsn said:
Wizard MAD is hidden in the feats that they want to take. If they want certain abilities from feats (especially at the Paragon/Epic levels) they'll need to start off with higher stats in certain ability scores.

So yeah, it's not explicitly stated in the Wizard description, but if you read the feats section, you'll want a certain stat array depending on what type of wizard you plan to become.
I didn't see any real feats for the Battlefield Control wizard.

phil500

First Post
Kraydak said:
Spell Focus, 13 Cha, must-have feat *sob*
On the other hand, you also want 13 Cha for Astral Fire...

I worried about that too, then i remembered you get +1 to all stats at 11 and 21.

so spending 1 point on cha isnt that terrible.

Vaeron

Explorer
Rechan said:
I didn't see any real feats for the Battlefield Control wizard.

Spell Accuracy comes to mind, though that's not specific to control. But excluding allies from an effect spell, then using orb mastery to keep that effect going, is still pretty nice. The Spellstorm Wizard has some nice stuff, too. But not much in the way of specific feats, you're right.

Rechan

Adventurer
Vaeron said:
Spell Accuracy comes to mind, though that's not specific to control. But excluding allies from an effect spell, then using orb mastery to keep that effect going, is still pretty nice. The Spellstorm Wizard has some nice stuff, too. But not much in the way of specific feats, you're right.
I thought the Orb only worked with At-Wills?

TheSleepyKing

First Post
IIRC, there are two elements to orbs -- you can extend the status effect of an at-will by one round (although the language in the PHB is a little confusing on that score), which is pretty lame. Or you can reduce saves on any spell by your wisdom modifier, once per combat and one enemy only (so it doesn't work on everybody affected by an area attack). That second power is probably the most effective implement power there is, especially for wizards with high wisdom scores. In fact, I can see a lot of wizards min-maxing on wisdom to use it -- combined with Spell Focus, a first level Sleep spell could put a solo enemy out for quite a few rounds.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads