Werefox

rankarrog

First Post
psychognome said:

Look for them in the Rip-Off... er, Monsters of Faerùn. :D

I took a look at them at my local RPG-Store but are "Fey-ri-Sorceror-Werefoxes" that much more powerful than a "normal" "Elven-Sorceror-Werefox" especially if you wabt to have an equal CR?

Krishnath

First Post
Hmm, yes. the Fey'ri has a base CR of 2, add the template, makes it four, then substract one for the fey'ri's first level since it's a 1HD creature that advances by class, then add the levels as you normally would. This creates a Fey'ri sorcerer on level lower than if it would have been a normal elf, but the fey'ri's special abilities more than make up for that.

rankarrog

First Post
The removal of the HD lets you play one as an firstlevel Char but does this really lower the CR by one?
I want to say: Think of it, Exchange 1d8 for 1d12 AND add all an babarians skills/abilities. is the creature equal Challenging? I guess its even more challengin than before.

Krishnath

First Post
Yes It does reduce the CR by one, since the creature only has one HD and is a creature that advances by class, the first HD equals one warrior level. You can excange it to 1d4 if you wan't a wiz/sor, 1d6 rogue/bard, 1d8 Clr/drd, 1d10 Pal/Ftr/Rng or 1d12 Brb. It doesn't change the CR even if the abilities vary. Asme thing with drow. (drow/werefox priestess of Lolth, DROOL!!! :D)

rankarrog

First Post
Aren't CR's for NPC-Class equal to Level-1 ?!?

I don't know the excat rules because I don't have my DMG at hand, but to be fair to the players I would have to ask myself:
If I can exchange the Warriorclasslevel with every other class without changing the CR, whats more Challenging: A fey-ri with a level of warrior, one with a level of comoner or one with a level of babarian?

If you replace te Warrior with level of Babarian it is IMHO clear that this is somehow unfair to the players (Same BAB, same Saves, same Weaponprofiences, but: better HP, Rage, fast movement, more Skills). This is even more unfair if I compare the babrian to zhe comoner.

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
LOL!, Actually I was thinking of the high cha +10 above your average human or elf... But I do like challanging players, not that I wan't to kill them, but the next adventure I have planned, the party (five PC's and one NPC wizard, all level 18) will be taking on a CR 20 dragon, In it's lair :D

rankarrog

First Post
Krishnath said:
LOL!, Actually I was thinking of the high cha +10 above your average human or elf...
I was thinking the same, but I thought a little bit further: Think about your players seeing a drow, within the glimpse of a second they'll think-> "Drow! What did we learn? Hard to come by with magic! Best use stupid force"

They'll send forth the warrior and if you don't have paladin's in your group the warriors most likely will not fight the drow at all :) Leaving the Spellcasters alone, perhaps even changing sides :)

Krishnath said:
But I do like challanging players, not that I wan't to kill them, but the next adventure I have planned, the party (five PC's and one NPC wizard, all level 18) will be taking on a CR 20 dragon, In it's lair :D

Thats gona be tough but hey they are 6 people not only four as the standard CR suggests, so i think that's fair.

Krishnath

First Post
Fair?!?! Not bloody likely, the dragon (named Ixenvâlignat) is a mature adult red, with a sorcerer level and two levels of fighter, and it knows they're coming...

He lives inside a large volcano, most of his lair is covered in sulfuric mists (making all fire spells and effects deal maximum damage, half on save.), to make matters even worse, he's using ambush tactics, staying invisible and clamping to the roof of his lair until he has blasted the party with his firebreath,and to this cone of cold, scintillating sphere, and acid storm, and you've got a mostly dead party. But they should be able to pull it off, barely... I'm counting on at least one death....perhaps even three... :D And that's not even counting the dragons minions.

Remove ads